• Overcast
    Overcast

Time to bag plastic bags

Posted: March 9, 2012 - 9:50am

OK, I've seen enough. I'm talking about plastic bags. Spring is right around the corner. We're going to start to see them along the roads, snagged in trees and bushes, and, of course, in the landfill. While some people make an effort to recycle them, it's simply not enough.  As long as they are available, plastic bags will continue to pollute our planet.

Other cities have banned them, such as San Francisco and Portland. In fact, the entire state of North Carolina banned them as well. Why can't we do the same?

We can. If I gather 1,564 signatures as a voter initiative, the community can decide to eliminate the use of plastic bags on the Kenai Peninsula. The drawback? It would force us to get creative and come up with alternative ways to carry things around. I think it would be worth it.

cptwonder
cptwonder 03/09/12 - 03:12 pm
Plastic Bags

I never really liked them. It was an attempt by tree huggers to get us to quit chopping down trees. Great, what about companies that plant & harvest. What about the loggers that lost their jobs. Al Gore & the rest didn't seem to care about them. Anyway go back to paper bags. They recycle easier anyway and they're bio-degradable.

Jerry
Jerry 03/12/12 - 11:31 am
If it's OK with Ya'll i'd

If it's OK with Ya'll i'd just as soon not follow in the footsteps of San Francisco on ANYTHING, Speaking of polution of the planet, even if it's only outlawing plastic bags for now, thank you very little.
I do agree that these plastic bags do cause quit a mess flying all around getting stuck in trees & brush, so, whats the answer?
Cloth bags seem to be on the rise & people get a rebate for bringing their own bags at a few stores, so maybe thats whats needed.
I know that if ya use plastic bags which some store provide, they charge ya for each bag in some states.

(revised after KK pointed out one of my errors below)
Decissions, Decissions, like this one are important, and all the while we are being faced with many other life changing things, which in no way deminishes the importance of Alyeska's Caring for the Kenai which i agree with. Keep up the GR8 job of caring young lady.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 03/10/12 - 05:59 pm
forethought

Kudo's Alyeska! Some of us older coots are from a generation that had no such luxuries as plastic bags, plastic milk cartons or plastic bottled water. Our milk came in a glass bottle that when empty was set on the door step every Monday and Thursday morning. We took our sandwiches to school or work in wrapped in waxed paper and in a lunch box. Our groceries were in paper bags that were re-used as trash bags and our water came from the tap!
Now virtually all of our service items are made of hydrocarbons and for the most part disposed of and not recycled. We are wasting our resources at an astronomical rate with no return in sight!
Alyeska, forget what the nay sayers may state here and keep beating that environmental drum. You have great ideas and you are making a conscious effort to rescue our planet from future harm at our hands. For a freshman in high school, you have some very responsible thoughts. I am truly proud of you and I'm confident there are many more like you!

cbeard
cbeard 03/10/12 - 10:48 pm
Zzzz

I like to hear old fogeys whine about not budging on energy and resource saving initiatives because they're too "inconvenient". I guarantee you don't see any difference in your lifestyle using reusable bags, other than having to wash them a few times a year (or replace them if they're the flimsy biodegrable kind you find in major grocery chains).

If the baby boomers want to retire living in a plastic filled world of garbage, by all means stuff your retirement home full and have at it. Please leave the planet to me cleaner, thank you.

Jerry
Jerry 03/11/12 - 07:34 pm
kenai_kid & cbeard, i have

kenai_kid & cbeard, i have reread all the posts & for the life of me can't find where there are any naysayers or babyboomers wanting to live in our houses of plastic.
Please help me to read what you think was said by the posts above, as when i read them i see everyone in agreement about the plastic problem with Alyeska.

When this old coot was growing up he lived on commodities, govt. issued food staples.
We had beans, beans and on special days we had rice with beans.
My mom made us kids out of the cloth from the cloth flour bags.
The powdered green eggs were the nastiest things on earth to eat, and its not a Dr Seuss thingy first.
We had Oklahoma wedding cake as our bread with our beans, thats cornbread, thats pretty poor when ya have to use cornbread as cake, but the butter was the real stuff not the wannabe butter that we pretend is good for us now.
Stock up on rice & beans while ya can, hard times are coming, again.

As i said above use cloth bags & get 5 cents off for each one you bring into the stores.
We reuse the plastic bags for our small trash cans, which helps save on the purchase of bags.

About this recycle stuff, i may be wrong but i don't think the things we seperate out at the land fill into differant bins really gets recycled, other than stoves & fridges/freezers.
I was told by a land fill worker a few yrs ago that its just a feel good thing that the Borough does, but because the cost is to gr8 for shipping on paper & plastic recycle items its not really done.
It makes me almost cry every time i go to the dump & see all the waste that is buried, especially when so much of it could be reused & recycled.
My family lived out of the dump when i was a kid in Texas, those days are gone now and its a crying shame the waste we allow.

But leave it to the main stream media to help regulate news, for certain controled propaganda news.
This reminds me of what Mark Twain said many years ago about news & its desire to control the public opinions on many differant things that Government wanted done.
"If you don't read the news your Uninformed. If you do read the news, your Misinformed."

akmscott
akmscott 03/11/12 - 07:39 pm
Yeah-yeah!There are a few

Yeah-yeah!There are a few plastic bags along the road-along with beer bottles,beer cans,pop cans,and many other items too numerous to mention.I re-use the bags for lunch and many other things and a tree does not die!Find a soapbox that matters!

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 03/11/12 - 09:15 pm
Reading into things?

" i have reread all the posts & for the life of me can't find where there are any naysayers or babyboomers wanting to live in our houses of plastic..."

"But it just goes to show that people read into things what they want, instead of what is being said, as i too sometimes do the same, but not in this case."

Jerry, I think you MAY have read into things what you felt compelled to read... Please, let me emphasise the word MAY as you MAY have missed it in my previous post.

From my previous post (one word capitialized for emphasis):

"Alyeska, forget what the nay sayers MAY state here "

I actually liked your first post as it had some insight (clothe bags) and you seemed to have searched for further answers.

But now that you mention it, and I MAY be reading a little bit into that post, but you SEEMED to be minimizing Alyeska's efforts and concern for our environment with your final statement:
"What a burdon we are under here with this Very Important life changing issue.

What will we do as the entire world is about to be ingulfed in WWIII, with this plastic bag epidimic we are suffering from?"

At least Alyeska MAY have a cause. But what should one expect of a 14 year old???

May:
1.indicates possibility: indicates that something is possibly true
2.indicates that something could happen: indicates that something could have happened, or could happen in the future

Jerry
Jerry 03/12/12 - 11:25 am
kk i sit corrected. I also

kk i sit corrected. I also appreciate the article & was only saying that this is an important issue, but there are alot more important things to help our community as we see hard times coming.
I didn't mean to slam or put down Alyeska in any way & appreciate her efforts & agree with her.
I am quit sure she, as well as many other young people will come forth with many other GR8 ideas, for the Caring for the Kenai program.

Back when Caring for the Kenai first started my 14 yr old daughter was involved, and yes these young kids do have many GR8 ideas, ideas that should be implimented to help better life & conservation of Gods creation, all of which he, God, has intrusted to ALL of us.

KK i will ask this of you, with your ability to research things, what do you know about the recycle issue that i mentioned & how it at one point was a feel good thing & not reality for the borough land fill?

Have a GR8 day and i know you will be happy with me about my son Jakes return to NY from Afgan this morning.
Prayers for ALL of OUR women & men serving, as well as their families left behind.

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 03/12/12 - 04:53 pm
Jake

I am very happy to hear your son is on safe(r) soil and hopefully will be in the comfort of his family. God bless him for the sacrifice he has made for our great nation.
As for the recycle issue, I will surely do what I can to research it further and report back on this blog.
Aleyska... I think you spurned interest and however small ... you ARE making a difference. You've given people reason to pause and think of our environment. Keep up the good work and keep bringing forth ideas.

"No dreamer is ever too small; no dream is ever too big." Anonymous

supercubber
supercubber 03/14/12 - 11:04 pm
Kenai_Kid

You should change your name to the Homer_Kid. You whacko. What next? I notice alot of McDonalds trash along the highway. Do you want to close them down? Their food is no good for us anyway. The highway would be cleaner and we would all be healthier. Do you know how many charities use cleaning the highways as a way to fundraise? What are you anti-charity? How many businesses clean the highway as a way to advertise? What are you anti-business? I've never seen you, but something tells me you wear your hair in cornrow braids. If you want to tell people how to live, move to California, Homer, or Girdwood.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 03/15/12 - 11:25 am
Kenai Kid and others!

Their is a wonderful way for all of us to make as big of an income as we desire without having to spend a single cent doing so. This company is now in pre launch phase with the launch scheduled for the 9th of April. It already has over 3.3 million members in 180 countries. The beauty of the program is that they are going to pay the members 50% of their profits each month based on the number of people they have brought into the company! They are figuring on each one being worth a dollar a month and you will never have to sell or buy anything either. They have been working on the patent pending websites since 2007 and have invested over 2 million so far. Face Book, Yahoo and Google make billions each quarter and they must of forgotten to send me a check for helping them get it. If you don't take advantage of this opportunity then you deserve what life has given you!

Send me an email to cheapersmokes@yahoo.com for the link to sign up and you will not ever regret it. You can sponsor an unlimited number of people and will earn on all down to your fifth level each month!

kenai_kid
kenai_kid 03/15/12 - 06:51 pm
Cheapersmokes pyramid

Cheapersmokes, please advertise elsewhere. This isn't the place to recruit for a pyramid scheme. I know many of us have a hard time staying on topic, but we try. Thanks for the tip, but no thanks and best of luck to you.