• Overcast, mist
    Overcast, mist

Blow of losing pet would have been softened with apology

Posted: March 23, 2012 - 8:37am

This last Saturday, my family and I suffered a terrible loss. Someone drove down Beaver Loop and hit our dog that we've had for 9 years. She was an enormous part of our lives and has seen us through some very dark times. She was smart and loved us and was very much like one of my children.

This person didn't stop, didn't call me, just kept going. The kindness of another motorist and my sister brought my girl home so I could say goodbye. I had just had gallbladder surgery and was unable to get her myself.

I know that a lot of people think, 'It's just a dog." But Faith was much more than that. Faith was here for me when no one else in life was. We were awarded certificates for her excellent behavior and I taught her everything that would be needed of a certified service dog. She saw me bring home 2 of my children and was by my side always. She was my one true friend.

Please be aware of what is going on around you. Please know that when some kind of accident happens, just leaving, doesn't make it not happen. There are other people that are affected when you make bad choices, or don't pay attention. For someone to say sorry and take responsibility for their accident would have gone a long way for our family. Also know that even though it may just be a dog to you, it may be someone else's very best friend.

Norseman 03/23/12 - 09:01 am
Sorry for your loss. No one

Sorry for your loss. No one ever likes to see their pet run over.
However, pets need to be controlled by their owners. Kept on a leash or in a fenced area. If a pet is allowed to run free then there are consequences, as some learn the hard way.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Chola82
Chola82 03/23/12 - 09:39 am
Actually my pets are always

Actually my pets are always in a fenced area around my home. We had an unfortunate chain of events that led to her getting out of the yard including a busted latch that I did not know about because of being layed up the day after surgery.

My point is, I understand accidents happen, but everyone should take responsibility for their accidents. They don't magically not happen because you pretend they didn't, and they almost always affect other people

savmar01
savmar01 03/23/12 - 12:46 pm
Agreed

Whoops, duplicate entries.

r.i.p monkey
r.i.p monkey 03/23/12 - 10:20 am
I'm so so sorry!

i know how a pet can be a part of the family. I've had dogs ran over also and i was little. well i just lost my beloved chihuahua due to a heart problem i guess he was only 10 months and 15 days well the person i got him from wouldnt give me his history and would return my emails and the number she gave me wasnt working i keep thinking what we could have done different. we had a vet appointment the day after. its heart breakin im still trying to cope with the loss. its a huge loss to my husband and i so i know the pain you feel. Dogs have so much personality and not much people see that. i hope the person who ran over you beloved doggie steps up and says sorry :'( prayers for your family

savmar01
savmar01 03/23/12 - 11:59 am
Agreed

Norseman, I completely agree with you. Nearly every day, I see dogs running loose on the side of the road. It's just a matter of time.

Out of common courtesy, a driver should do everything possible to identify the owner of the pet they hit. Check the tags or call animal control in case there's an implanted chip. And certainly, you can and should apologize. I would imagine most people feel horrific about killing someone's beloved pet.

However, owners also need to extend the courtesy of apologizing for their pet being loose and be responsible for any damages to a vehicle. Now, I'm not positive as I wasn't there, but I doubt the person was rampaging down an extremely icy/bumpy road looking to kill someone's dog.

Regardless of the circumstances of your pet's escape, the pet is still the responsibility of the owner. Courtesy works both ways here. As the letter writer states, people should take responsibility for their accident. In this case, neither the driver or the owner seems to be doing so.

Chola82
Chola82 03/23/12 - 03:13 pm
I am the owner

I am the owner of this dog, and to say that I'm not responsible for/with my pets is to not know me at all. Not every time you see pets or children near the road, is it a result of negligence. Sometimes we simply can't control everything 100% of the time.

Like I said, my animals are always in my own yard, in a fence. Again, it was a long chain of events that led to her getting out of my yard, none of which were anyone in particulars fault unless you blame me personally for needing surgery the day before and not standing outside in the fenced in yard for the 5 minutes she was out. It's really awesome for you to blame my pain on me.

I know that it is extremely unlikely that someone would drive down the road with the intention to harm an animal. This road was very clear and dry at the time of this accident. Honestly I imagine it was probably a young kid that had no idea what to do so just continued on. It's a busy road, but it's not too busy to pull out your cell phone.

savmar01
savmar01 03/23/12 - 04:19 pm
Chola

I completely agree that the person should have made an effort to see if the dog had any identifying tags, as long as there were no hazardous conditions preventing it like darkness, dog being aggressive due to its injury, being on a corner, etc.

I really can't agree with calling them out for killing your dog because they "made a bad decision or weren't paying attention". I can't really see how they would have 100% control of the situation, either.

Tragic as it is, this was an accident. It's as much the owner's responsibility for the dog being there as it is the driver's for hitting her.

I did not mean to minimize your pain or insult you. I am truly sorry for your loss.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 03/23/12 - 05:20 pm
It would help if people

It would help if people actually drove the speed limit on Beaver Loop And it ain't 60 MPH.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 03/24/12 - 11:05 am
Sorry for your lose!

Chola, So sorry for the loss of your cherished pet! I certainly understand why you feel like you lost a valued member of your family! Hopefully the person who did this will see this story and contact you to apologize for not doing so much earlier!

spwright 03/24/12 - 02:12 pm
Angels

Mrs Fite,
I course I have No Way of Knowing IF this is True but It certainly helps the Grieving Process when We Lose a Pet.

A School Teacher shared this with me years ago :
When Our Dogs arrive in Heaven, God assigns them to be CareGivers for All of the Little Children that have past before their time. The Dogs & Children learn to Love each other & enjoy each other until it's Our Turn to join them in Heaven.

I have often wondered IF All of Our Family Pets will be Waiting for Us when We arrive in Heaven ?
What a Joyful Day that would be ! Dog Kisses & Tails just a Waggin' !

May this Time of Grief & Sorrow soon turn to a time of Warm & Loving Memories of Your Dog FAITH.

Retiree SPW "Airborne"

jlmh
jlmh 03/25/12 - 01:37 am
This happened all the time

This happened all the time when I was a kid, so normally I don't have any respect for people who let their dogs run loose and get killed. It sounds like your situation was unique, but that motorist could not have known that. From their perspective, you didn't care enough about your dog to watch out for it, so why should they care enough to track you down and apologize? Your dog is still your responsibility, and you could have made arrangements to have someone else take it outside, but you took your chances and let it go by itself. It was an understandable mistake on your part, and a terrible tragedy to coincide with your recovery, but it was not the motorist's fault that a dog chased their car.

Please understand some of the reasons a motorist would not stop. I've been threatened by many dogs throughout my life and would not get out to tend to one unless I was sure of its temperament. Also, I know a lot of people who would get very angry at the loss of their pet, and possibly retaliate. That motorist did not know you were a kind woman recovering from surgery, versus a gun-toting bully who'd be out for revenge (unless they know you and your dog). That's just not a risk every one is willing to take when a dog randomly jumps under their wheels. Please take comfort in knowing your dog had a long life with a loving family, instead of blaming the motorist for the "unfortunate chain of events" that ultimately affected their day too. I'm sure they were upset as well. Sorry for your loss.

cormit
cormit 03/25/12 - 07:13 am
It should not be assumed to

It should not be assumed to be the drivers fault when a pet gets run over. We are all animal lovers and hitting an animal while driving can be very traumatic for the driver as well. It is certainly not the drivers fault that someones pet gets in the road.

The list of excuses why pets get loose is endless ..... but the bottom line is ..... the pets owner is responsible for the pets safety at all times and you can't expect others to share the blame for the unfortunate end.

The driver may be the one owed an apology.

KMarx
KMarx 03/25/12 - 09:22 am

Sympathy and condolences to the owner of the pet. While the right thing to do was for the driver to render assistance to the dog and attempt to find the owner. Given the litigious nature of our society, fueled by individuals and lawyers looking for a quick payoff, many people would be worried if they identified themselves, they may end up in court.

justamom
justamom 03/27/12 - 10:32 am
For jlmh

What a heartless jerk you are. Just sayin. Sounds like you are the one who ran the dog over. Just sayin.

AKH
AKH 03/27/12 - 11:37 pm
I agree with the ppl who

I agree with the ppl who posted in defense of the driver, everyone has excuses of why this was unique or why they are owed an apology. The truth is there was a mistake made and the dog got out. It is sad, but the person who hit the dog is probably torn up about it too. While I feel bad for you on your loss it in no way entitles you to an apology. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Unfortunately you are both in the wrong!

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 03/28/12 - 06:33 pm
pay attention

Sounds like some people commenting are denying they have any responsibility to pay attention to what is going on as they drive,it's the dogs fault or the owners fault entirely.As I've said in a previous post most people on beaver loop do not do the speed limit. If this ass hits a moose next time and totals his/her car, that would be justice ,who would you blame then?Especially you jlmh.

jlmh
jlmh 03/29/12 - 09:20 pm
car chasing

You make a good point, beaverlooper. Drivers do need to be aware of their surroundings, even if something jumps in front of them and it isn't their fault. But I've noticed something about dogs that chase cars, and it's that they don't jump in front of them. They jump out beside a car, chasing its front tire, and usually get run over by the back tire. Sometimes you can spot them in time and brake, then sit there honking until someone moseys over and gets their dog. Other times they jump under the car and kill themselves before a driver even notices them. Unlike moose, dogs are trying not be seen; they are trying to sneak up next to the car and "catch" it, I think. It's probably why dogs seem to get run over in neighborhoods with slower traffic, whereas wildlife generally gets killed in high-speed areas.

Then again, maybe the dog wasn't even out of its yard after all and a snowmobile hit it.

SoldotnaMom12
SoldotnaMom12 04/02/12 - 01:57 pm
Loss of Pet

I ran over my own dog after he got out of the house without me knowing. It was devastating and totally my own responsibilty. I have also hit a dog and looked for it's owner unsuccessfully. So not only could I not find the owner, I worried about this dog and had to pay for the damage to my vehicle after it jumped over a snow berm into my path. I could not stop, I'm not young, was not speeding and did not just leave the scene. Sometimes it is impossible to avoid hitting anything that jumps out in front of your car. As painful as it is to lose a pet, it is owner responsibility. I stopped to help a dog with its leg barely attached after someone hit it and left because they could not find the dog as it ran off. I took him to the vet who had to amputate the leg. A couple of weeks later, same dog, 3 legs, same area of road!! Frustrating! This accident is not just because of an irresponsible, uncaring driver. The dog was loose, unintentional or otherwise. Accidents happen.

bewildered
bewildered 04/03/12 - 09:47 am
I have pets myslef and live

I have pets myslef and live in an area where there are no leash laws that apply. I love my animals and I feel about them the same as you. I also understand I am a responsible pet owner it is my responsiblity to take responsibility for my pets. I cried for weeks when one of my animals died and I morn the loss to this day. I am sorry for your loss but you should count yourself lucky you did not end up with a lawsuit for damages done to the vehicle if they indeed would have sought you out, you very well could have been. Just keep that in mind.