• Overcast
    Overcast

Cars a death trap for unattended children

Posted: May 15, 2012 - 9:25am

Cars are not babysitters, they are babykillers. (Recently) I took my mother to the Salvation Army in Soldotna. As I got out of our Blazer, I noticed a toddler in a car that I parked next to. I looked in the car and there was no one in there with the child. No one near the car. I went inside the store to report the unattended child. As I went back to watch over the child, I saw a woman getting in the car.  With wittnesses present I told her, "Your car is not a babysitter, cars are babykillers. If I ever find you have left your child unattended in your car again, I will call the police immediately. Do I make myself clear? Do not ever leave your child in your car alone again."

Honostly, I should have simply called the police without notifying the manager of Salvation Army. So everyone knows, I do periodically check cars when I go to stores, as I have found children left in cars more than this one time. I will start taking pictures of the cars with unattended children, ensuring I get the plate numbers and notify the police immediately.

People, please ... if your children are such burdens to you that you cannot be bothered to take your children into the store with you, then hire a babysitter, or bring a friend with you. If you cannot do any of that, and your child is just a burden, then bring your child to CPS and tell them you no longer want the child, or take your child to your local fire department and leave, or take him/her to your local police department. Just do not leave your child in a death trap. If you dont want to do any of that to ensure safety, then I would love to have your little "burden." Please, burden me with your child, as these children are the most precious gifts God has given us. I will provide your child with a loving home if you dont want to. Don't kill your child!

AKpreacher
AKpreacher 05/15/12 - 06:52 pm
Cars can be a death trap

Years ago when my sisters girls were small, she went into a store, leaving the girls in her car. She could see them through the window and kept an eye out. When she got home she parked the car in the driveway. As she and her daughters were opening the door, her car burst into flames. She said that she realized that had this happened while she was in the store, she would not have had time to save them.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/16/12 - 09:07 am
We all make mistakes

In defence of this lady with the baby i will say that we all have done things like this with our childrens safety at risk. We think about the our childrens present & give no reguard to their eternal safety each day, which makes me wonder just who really cares about their kids, but thats another story.
We just had Mother's day and one lady at our church thanked her birth mom for not aborting her and gave her life even though she did not want her, if only the 6000+ a day other mothers would do this very same thing.
We all go thru life doing things that are detrimental to our kids in one way or another and it would absolutely please the Govt. if they could have total control of ALL our kids lives as well as ours as parents, adults, so calling the cops over this i question, standing watch over the child was a GR8 thing to do and Thank You for doing so then informing the lady of why you did it would have also helped and probably did hopefully.
We have become a society that allows real sin to flurish while small sins are condemened, everythings bassacwards when it comes to Laws & justice for ALL as we REWRITE Gods Laws with OUR own special interest groups which prevail and force their desires on many which is why OUR society is crumbling before our very eyes.
From slavery to prosperity, back to slavery we have come as we divert from OUR Founding Fathers & Gods Laws ment to protect us ALL for OUR own new fundamental hope & change to believe in given by Obama which is ment to destroy us ALL.

Revelation 13:16-17

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 05/16/12 - 12:30 pm
Buzy Body or child advocate?

As i reread this letter i wonder where the comment of this lady/mother not wanting her child came from with the need to take the child to CPS. It does amaze me that this simple act of going in a store while the baby which was probably asleep stayed in the car is being blown out of proportion to the point of Child services being needed in this case to protect kids. Please allow me to say that Child services is ONE OF THE WORST PLACES TO TAKE KIDS in my opinion.
Then the final comment of don't kill your baby she'll take it, where is this action a desire to kill the baby? This is not AZ, TX or some other state where the temp gets above 100 degrees and babies do die.
I really just don't understand this letter when i read it and wonder if there is some undeclaired reason for this rant against this lady. Just wondering whats really up here with this letter and unwarranted comments of wanting to kill this baby when there are many women that do kill their babies by ripping them out of the womb which should be the safest place in the world for babies.
And as for the akpreachers sister whose car caught on fire when she got home and the what if's, the what if's can go on forever in all areas of life.

Proverbs 31;

northernlights
northernlights 05/17/12 - 05:42 pm
No one ever changes from being criticized

You can be dead right and be totaly wrong. Ranting and raving at the same time degrading a mother for leaving her child in the car is out of line. People have to be taught and many times reminded what is right. How you word it makes all the difference in the world. Screaming and yelling at someone never teaches them a thing. did you think to use a calm voice and tell her the dangers that could happen to her child? Was it evident that you cared and talked out of love? You are right about the dangers involved but when you do not act out of love you are dead wrong, Do I make myself clear? For some reason some people think that the louder you yell, the harsher the words you use will make someone change. With the tone of your letter, I wouldn't want to be around you. So, if you really want to help someone, do it out of love, what you say and how you say does make all the difference.

JOAT
JOAT 05/17/12 - 07:35 pm
Approach dictates response

While it certainly can be dangerous to leave a child unattended in a car, I agree that this letter is blown a bit out of proportion. If we were in Arizona, I'd be more concerned about leaving a kid locked in a car for more than a minute. No, we're in Alaska during the mild temperature season. No harm will come to a child in a car for a few minutes right now. Different story in January and July.

But not to get hung up on the technical aspects of this, the main point is that which northernlights has already brought up; you should never, ever yell at or chastise a stranger in public. That will never get a positive outcome. I can guarantee that the only point that was made was how much of a #@!&% that lady was. Any context to the message was lost.

Now, had you gone up to her and said something like, "Hi, my name's Charce and I noticed that you left your child unattended in your car. I'd like to tell you how dangerous I think that can be. ...", you might have conveyed some education and perhaps even made a new acquaintance or even a friend. Barking orders and threats at someone that you have no knowledge of their situation is, in my opinion, far worse than leaving your kid in the car while you dash into the store for a minute.

Perhaps this concept is just too foreign to me as I sat in the car waiting on one or the other parent more times than I can possibly remember. My parents also let me run around in the woods unsupervised with guns and knives, but nothing bad ever happened. Sometimes, education is far more important than overbearing protection.

anrsvc
anrsvc 05/17/12 - 07:49 pm
Children in Cars and Strangers approaching and taking pictures?

I tell you, I am more concerned about people like this who feel compelled to be kid in car enforcers than I am about parents who leave their children in a car for a couple of minutes in this temperate weather.

Charce Dunn, please DO NOT approach my vehicle, attempt to open doors, take pictures of my children, etc. if you see my children inside. If you want to call the police - have at it. Don't assume that the vehicle is not being watched.

If anybody actually sees a child at risk including my children, I thank you ahead of time for calling for help.

ItGirl
ItGirl 05/18/12 - 12:16 pm
It doesn't stop there.

I had a woman come up to me in Safeway and warn me that I did not have my son dressed warm enough for the weather. She did it in a very unpleasant manner.

I consider myself a very protective mother but allow my child to be as independent as he can within the boundaries of what I have determined to be safe.

Notice all the I's in those sentences. I am the mom, I determine my child's level of maturity and what he is capable of handling. Too many people make the assumption that they are the better person in all of this....but little do they know that they don't know squat.

Like his mom, my child was warm blooded and would have screamed his head off if we were walking through the store grocery shopping and he was too warm. So we both dress more lightly than the average Joe.

I would have never left my son in the car for a moment. Not because I thought he would overheat or get stolen but because he was Houdini and would be able to get out of any car seat I had him in if I was not there to give him a stern look through the rear view mirror.

Let parents be parents. If you feel compelled to ensure the safety of a child sit back and watch. Start the timer and if nobody returns after what YOU consider an appropriate time for the age of the child, temperature, location, situation, by all means call the police. Understanding that you may be turning in a perfectly capable mother and risking her losing her child to a very incapable public care system. That would be a travesty...

steelhorse
steelhorse 05/18/12 - 01:36 pm
what?

Sorry, all I "heard" from this letter was a stark raving over reacting lunatic.

For the record, when my children were little we never left them in the car alone, this is a notion I wholeheartedly support.

Anything can happen and I wasn't willing to take that chance.

Now, there ARE circumstances where the parents should not leave children in the vehicle alone. There are too many to list but it involves appropriate parenting skills and good old common sense.

The issue here is that not all adults or parents possess these traits. Anyone can have a child or be in the presence of children, but it takes effort and care above your own needs to be a parent.

Now I'll step off this soapbox and get back to the point I was trying to make when I started. No person has a right to dictate how another parent deals with their children, UNLESS there is obvious or clear suspicion of abuse or neglect.

I am torn between whether stepping into the store to grab a few things while a small child is asleep falls under that category or not but we never left the children even then.

Like I said above, anything can happen so let YOUR conscience and hopefully your love and care AND common sense dictate your decision making when leaving children alone unattended in a vehicle.

And Charce I get where you're coming from but you're way out of line. Never confront parents as that may get you a whole lot more than you bargained for, instead if you TRULY feel there is an issue, then yes, report it to the police/troopers and let THEM decide if there is a true emergency.

I bet you'll be surprised as to the response you may actually get from them!

Be prudent, you just come off as over bearing.

muselix
muselix 05/18/12 - 01:45 pm
Actually...

In this age of pedophelia and kidnapping and child abuse, I would be concerned to see a stranger taking pictures of my child or my vehicle. What kind of person takes pictures of little kids in cars? I would think that a better option would be to simply stand next to the vehicle to ensure nothing happened to the child, pull a phone out, and call 911.

And if someone approached me in the way the author of this letter described, I'd be the one calling the police. Placing someone in fear by your words or behavior is against the law. I believe it's called assault. Some people (myself included) would feel threatened by that exchange.

My advice to the author is to mind your own business. If you have a legitimate concern, call the police and let them handle it.

jlmh
jlmh 05/18/12 - 01:55 pm
I don't see anything in that

I don't see anything in that rant to indicate a child was left unattended. Dunn spotted a kid in a car when s/he arrived, then saw that same vehicle leaving as soon as s/he came back out. Does that mean she caught the tail end of a shopping spree sans kid? I doubt it. The parent probably arrived just before the writer of this letter. If it was the Salvation Army, she was probably dropping off a box of clothing donations. It's kind of hard to carry boxes and babies at the same time, and no one is going to die during the one minute it takes to haul in a box. I bet she was wondering why a complete stranger was screaming at her and accusing her of murder.

I agree with JOAT. If you feel the need to call the police, then just do so. People have a lot more respect for an officer than some busybody looking for conflict.

radiokenai
radiokenai 05/22/12 - 07:54 am
Amazing!
Unpublished

To Muselix and the other Comments : Well Said!

To Charce Dunn: Take heed from the respondents!

Although everyone agree to call Law Enforcement in the event that you have a valid concern, I can pretty much guarantee that it you shot your mouth off in my face trying to lecture me, you would receive a response of harsh vulgarities combined with an "In your face" verbal conclusion that would curl that excessive lipstick smeared on those self righteous lips of yours!

YOU really need to take a look at YOUR response Mrs. Mouth! Is it Charce Dunn or Charce Dumm?

I will tell you this much, if I see you running around snapping pictures of little kids in cars and I WILL call Law Enforcement on you for Pedophilia and Harassment! Who are you to be the judge of parenting? Perhaps the parent was talking to her best friend within visual site?

Liberal Feminazis like yourself need move back to Kalifornia where you belong.

What an idiot....

bewildered
bewildered 05/23/12 - 01:41 pm
When we were kids we did not

When we were kids we did not have to wear seat belts, we could spank our children for discipline in public with our fear someone would report me as abusing my child and our parents left us in the car while they checked the mail or dropped off a package.

We were not asked about these laws and did not vote on them. They were passed by congress.

msjinxie
msjinxie 05/26/12 - 08:54 am
YES good job!

I applaud the woman who had the moxie to say something to an obvious growing problem. I too have witnessed this, and have phoned the police twice on different occasions. The first thing I think of is, "they are so lucky they are not in a huge city like California or worse" Kids are picked off like flies and abducted, or worse, DIE in an overheated vehicle. Treat your children like the gold they are. THEY ARE NOT DOGS! Bewildered you are correct. We did alot of things as children that now would not fly. Times are different, people are different, and the psycho level is off the charts. Protect your kids, its your job as a parent. The first time you walk out to your car, and your child is "god forbid" missing, your going to feel terrible that YOU were the cause. NO EXCUSES!

msjinxie
msjinxie 05/26/12 - 08:54 am
YES good job!

msjinxie
msjinxie 05/26/12 - 08:54 am
YES good job!

msjinxie
msjinxie 05/26/12 - 08:54 am
YES good job!

msjinxie
msjinxie 05/26/12 - 09:03 am
Amazing

As I read the responses and attempts at saying that entire scenario was ok on any level, it just shows EXACTLY what is wrong. Some people don't get it, they stick to religious rants, people doing "he said she said." BOTTOM LINE, if you choose to bring a child into this world, it is YOUR responsibility to care for it. Ever hear it takes a village to raise a child? It is right on. If we all ignored the horrible parenting we all notice, we would be no better than the ones causing the harm. Think of that next time. About the issues with CPS, don't believe we were discussing that. Wouldn't you feel terrible, if that one child you noticed and thought, "looks suspicious" but do nothing...was discovered to be missing and or worse dead. You would have to live with that EVERY single day. Be a better person and stop being a sheep.