What happened to my Democratic Party?

Posted: May 31, 2012 - 8:34am

My family started when Great-Grandfather immigrated to Southern Iowa around 1850 from Ireland via Canada. History is scarce until my grandfather and a family of Democrats grew. He had four boys and two girls and my father married a lady who had nine sisters and one brother.

My birthday was 2 days from the inauguration of F.D.R. and when I think about World War II and the amazing building of the Greatest Military and Air Force ever in the world but this was done by a few business men who had a little money left from the depression. Every body was "one" in the building and defense of our country.  We as a Democrat-Republican country worked together to become the greatest  country in the world. We manufactured everything possible. That is all gone now.

Why and how? One of the first things I encountered after serving time in the Navy was OSHA, a department of people who may or may not ever have had a physical job, making rules and regulations for industries and businesses causing excess costs to manufacture and then it was cheaper to go to foreign countries who had no rules.

The most damaging department was the E.P.A. Working most of my life for a major oil co. and as an operator and maintenance person, I helped install millions of dollars of safety and other equipment, some good and some pipe dream projects which did nothing but extremely increase the cost of doing business.

It appears today that the Democratic Party wants to be the One World Party. Not me as there is no way we can feed the world  on borrowed money. They have lost their Patriotism to our country by giving all kinds of bribe money to our enemies to get their cooperation. It doesn't work that way. A Republican had those same thoughts, Nixon, but it didn't go too far. The Democratic Party seems to be Dumpster diving to find any and all kinds of dirt about their opposing candidates.

I have never been able to vote party lines; I choose the man or lady who appears to have my thoughts in mind and still have to pick and choose about what might be the truth or fiction, but please people, we need more people voting their minds.

spwright 06/01/12 - 09:50 am
Mr. Morrison

Mr Morrison, 6/1/12
Boy are YOU ever going to be so very Up-set when
President Obama is Re-Elected next Nov. 2012.

The Un-Declared Independent Voter neither Republican or Democrat are the Majority in the State of Alaska but the majority of those Un-Declared Voters refuse to vote.
80% of Alaskans do NOT Vote.

They can't be bothered with Voting, it's not important to them.
They sincerely believe that they are "Morally Superior" to all other Alaskans & have all sorts of Lame Excuses for not Voting." I Walk on Water & I am so very Superior to You Republicans & Democrats" They actually Believe That !

SPW "Airborne"

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/09/12 - 06:35 am
spwright...not so fast....
Unpublished

I think you are somewhat mistaken. It has been my observation that the majority of the voters get out and vote most entirely during the Presidency. I personally know several young Alaskans who, as you say, don't get involved in any other of the elections other than the Presidency. Your obama-idiot may get a very rude awakening when he discovers that the voters will come out for this next election, and NOT vote for his gay ways.

With Governor Walkers recall election victory, a strong message has been sent out. People are no longer being fooled into believing this worthless president we have in office.

"All-In". We must all vote for one. Don't waste your vote on a 3rd party candidate such as Ron Paul etc. To beat the evil obama administration, America MUST stand together and vote him OUT!

The Conservative tide is rising sonny, better make sure you are ready for the flood! It is my hope that Mitt selects Condy for Vice President. Not only is she a very capable and professional lady, she will make barracky look like the [filtered word] that he is!

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 06/09/12 - 07:45 am
False claims

The Independent voter is a false claim.This state is so overwhelmingly REPUBLICAN.The stats,and votes prove this point.This state has been Republican going on forty years if not longer.The people of this state think they are independent but receive more federal aid than any other state.I would classify the voters as DEPENDENT REPUBLICANS.

spwright 06/09/12 - 09:14 am
Un-Declared Voter

Raoulduke 6/9/12
Yes the Independent Un-Declared Voter or should I say NON-Voter will cuss & discuss about how very Independent they are & they do NOT vote for Republicans or Democrats. Cuz they actually believe that they are "Morally Superior" to All other Alaskans.

BUT these Independent Voters vote REPUBLICAN all of the time. They Re-Elect Republicans again again & again.
Don Young for example.

They claim to be Independent but constantly Vote Republican.

If It "Walks like a Duck" Talks like a Duck" Smells like a Duck"
It's a Duck ! If you constantly vote for Republicans then YOU ARE a Republican & stop claiming to be a Independent Voter.

Republican claiming to be a Independent.

SPW "Airborne"

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 06/10/12 - 02:01 pm
Thankfully some still have a mind!

I learned long ago if you were poor and wanted someone to pay for you to live you were a Democrat and if you wanted to become wealthy and hang on to it then you were a Republican. But with both parties drifting to the extremes and I got behind the candidacy of H. Ross Perot and helped form a Reform Party branch in Minnesota! In this election, I damn sure will never vote for Obama but Romney doesn't get me excited either. Their is not a whole lot of choice left and will have to see if a viable 3rd party joins in the race.

But if you choose to sit on your butt and not even bother to vote then your a total waste and should give up the air your breathing to someone else who will put it to better use! Why don't you all then go to the cemetery and spit on the grave of every veteran you can find buried their since that is what your actually doing to those many of millions of young American's who died fighting to give you the right to live in the land of the free and the home of the Brave!

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/11/12 - 07:31 am
Spwright--Had to laugh at your comment!
Unpublished

Let me share a little secret with you buckwheat. I also consider myself an "Independent Voter". I am going to vote for the best candidate who I feel will do the best job. Republican, Democrat, Green or Liberal.

The problem is, YOUR party of Liberal Democratic Idiots (lets take our current president for instance) allows for me to make a quick decision NOT to vote Democrat.

When your gang of Tax and Spenders get a grip and stop selecting candidates (such as Gore or Barracky-bama) then I will vote Democrat.

Until then, we are going to vote with common sense.

Something your party lacks big time.

Don't blame our vote, because you select a communist for your candidate.

The problem is NOT our vote, it is YOUR candidates!

Stop blaming someone else for your stupidity!

radiokenai
radiokenai 06/11/12 - 07:44 am
To Cheapersmokes
Unpublished

Well Said! I am in the same boat. I voted for Perot way back when, but soon discovered a vote for Perot was really a vote for Slick. I am not a huge fan of Mitt either, but this election year, none of us can sacrifice our vote to a 3rd party and let that jackwagon back in office for a second term.

We have to be "All-In", even if we know that Mitt is not the best choice, ANYONE is better than the dork we have now.

Perhaps next election, TEA, Independents, Republicans or even Democrats will select a candidate worthwhile?

For this election, we all are in this together, let the Liberals teeter the scale against obama this time. I know a lot of people who voted for obama last election, and refuse to vote for him again.

They don't want Mitt either...sooooooo let their votes go third party.

As long as obama doesn't get their vote!

jjtongen
jjtongen 06/11/12 - 11:32 am
Check your facts Cheapersmokes

Regarding Cheapersmokes comments on rich equals Republicans and poor equals Democrats, let me enlighten you. According to Forbes, the top 20 richest people in America, 60% are Demorcats. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Larry Ellison have a combined net worth of 126 billion. Your comments are assumptions and generalizations. Take a drive through Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Lou. In other words, the deep south, Republican states, and you will note towns poorer than dirt.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 06/11/12 - 02:50 pm
the deep south

Mississippi,Arkansas have always fought for 49th,or 50th place in income.Alabama I think was 47th.These are agricultural states.Where the land owners have converted to planting,and harvesting with machinery to lower the payroll costs.Which in turn makes the employee dependent on the state,and federal welfare.The land owners are the ones who live in the big house on the hill.Quite similar to the plantation days of old.Not much has changed for the agricultural workers.When President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.He upset the segregationist Dixiecrats.So! The deep south has been Republican ever since.

jjtongen
jjtongen 06/11/12 - 08:50 pm

You are most correct. You strengthen my point.