• Scattered clouds
    Scattered clouds

Election a sign of a bright future

Posted: November 8, 2012 - 3:12pm  |  Updated: November 9, 2012 - 8:41am

We keep moving toward a more inclusive, a more just, a more equitable, a more beautiful, a more knowledgeable and a more appreciative human race. What we have seen in the last few days makes me very optimistic for our future.

Young people have stood up and expressed themselves as more politically knowledgeable and more politically involved than we have ever seen before. As evidence I cite the mock elections that have been carried out nationally in our high schools and the results of their votes. More community service is being emphasized in our schools. My prediction for the future is we will have more and better prepared candidates to represent us than we do now. In return the knowledge, energy and wisdom of youth will be more appreciated than ever and young people will get a fairer slice of the benefits. I say more power to them, their parents and their teachers.

Adult voters have for the first time re-elected our first incumbent African-American President, Barack Obama, in spite of our high unemployment rate and other disappointments. The fact that a majority of Americans made this decision and came out to the polls in the greatest numbers, the longest lines, taking hours some times and voted for President Obama tells me that the majority of American voters were listening and got the message of just how important this election is for our future. Thank you.

lkpomn912
lkpomn912 11/09/12 - 04:22 pm
don't know what the "ARE YOU

don't know what the "ARE YOU STUPID OR WHAT???? comment said, cause it was deleted by the clarion.
certainly the writer missed the white kids rioting in Jackson Mississippi U.
but don't feel badly, dozens of comments have been deleted by the clarion since the election.

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 11/09/12 - 04:30 pm
59 million Americans, almost

The Divided States of America. Half socialist, half capitalist
A house divided cannot stand, nor will America stand under the weight of this wasteful entitlement spending.

Hugh R. Hays
Hugh R. Hays 11/10/12 - 12:55 pm
Living in a great future.

freedomlibertytruth I like these values.

59 million Americans, almost half of Americans did NOT vote for your UTOPIAN progressive fantasy. True.

I am inclined to believe that the majority of Americans did
vote for some aspect better than the results of 8 years of G Bush and Dick Cheney. Furthermore they did it twice.

The Divided States of America. True. The United States
was also real in 1941 when Japan attacked us at Pearl Harbor. One of the greatest characteristics of our system
is we have the freedom to come together or to divide
into groups. I have seen it both ways. I hope I live long enough to see the time a higher percentage of us choose
to respect each other and to act in ways that are better
for all of us. Meantime have a great future. I am. Thank you.

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 11/10/12 - 01:29 pm
never yield in anything great

never yield in anything great or small

“”….never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished.

But instead our country stood in the gap. There was no flinching and no thought of giving in; and by what seemed almost a miracle to those outside these Islands, though we ourselves never doubted it, we now find ourselves in a position where I say that we can be sure that we have only to persevere to conquer…..””

{You keep your imperial affirmative action president, I’ll keep my own brilliant statesmen hero leaders as inspiration and guide.}

freedomlibertytruth
freedomlibertytruth 11/10/12 - 01:45 pm
'UTOPIA' Thomas More in the

'UTOPIA' Thomas More in the time of King Henry Vlll

you cannot name the date, time and place where it has ever
existed on planet earth.

it is illusion, it is fantasy, it is a deluded state of mind. To seek it in Big Government Control is the same as seeking the religious utopia of heaven, blown-out budda nirvana bliss, or virgin filled Jannah.

The United States of America is the closest thing to paradise on earth, and the party of Socialists, Progressives, & the Communist Party U.S.A now destroy it. It has found it's penultimate peek, and is moving forward downhill full-speed ahead. carry on. Forward March.

{the United States of America is, or was, the bright future, now dimmed & diminished.}

soldotna54
soldotna54 11/11/12 - 05:29 am
I sleep better at night

Because the American people made the best choice this time.
No, there is no Utopia , so does that mean we should give up and just live a hell on earth because it is easier ?
Angry, white, bigot, racist, prejudiced, men are not the majority , Thank God. Ok, so a few women are in that category, ie Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin.
I think the so called Christian Right wingers should actually read their Bibles , especially the words of Jesus. He would throw them out of His house, just like He did the Pharisees of his day. Jesus and the Church have always taught that everyone should bring into the house their wealth and it should be REDISTRIBUTED fairly so that ALL will be taken care of.
Even the Old Testament had the Year of Jubilee, where the wealth was redistributed back to the original families every 50 years.

I do not know when the Christian movement was subverted from the teachings of Jesus and God, but He cannot be happy about the current attitude of (his ?) church .

radiokenai
radiokenai 11/13/12 - 11:46 am
Tell me how wonderful it is going to be again?
Unpublished

With the increase of taxes on the middle class, the shutdown of energy jobs, increase of fuel cost, major layoffs (go ahead, set down the bong and turn on the TV), not to mentions turning our backs on our allies and embracing socialism (did you miss that socialism has failed miserably?) or perhaps the new UN Talks to ban guns and ammo that is now in session...I could go on and on....Goverment coverup of Libya and Egyptian terror attacks or mega crime waves headed our way due to staggering unemployment rates.

And you think I am suppose to be happy, joyous and free as I, hoping I make it another 4 years of this baboon, will shovel out taxes beyond comprehension to support your new evil president!

Are you mentally challenged or just plain stupid?

radiokenai
radiokenai 11/11/12 - 02:56 pm
Soldotna54
Unpublished

let me enlighten you...once the liberal movements came into power and started removing Jesus Christ and God from our blessed Country, that is when things were "subverted" (perhaps a better word you should have picked was "perverted")

radiokenai
radiokenai 11/11/12 - 03:03 pm
It is time....
Unpublished

For our country to learn a valuable lesson in 4 years at the voting polls since they were too stoned and were living on credit during the first 4....sit back and watch division, recession and depression take root. Don't believe me? Please explain the major obamacare layoffs in progress right in front of your eyes!

Norseman 11/12/12 - 06:47 am
Sleeping like a baby again

Sleeping like a baby again since the re-election. The country has spoken TWICE now that this is the man we want to lead the nation.
Time for some of the people on here to seek anger management or perhaps medication. It is obvious they have more issues going on than just who or who didn't get elected.

As for me, I am "FIRED UP!" READY TO GO!" FIRED UP! READY TO GO! FIRED UP! READY TO GO:)

radiokenai
radiokenai 11/12/12 - 07:49 am
Noresman
Unpublished

For once, you have made a correct statement (attaboy!) The Country has selected the dingbat for another 4 years. Perhaps YOU will be sleeping like a baby (because your monthly checks will keep rolling in) but I must share with you some important information...America will be WAKING UP while you are VAST ASLEEP! Don't believe me? Try doing a search on the net for "2012 Post Election Layoffs".

From all your postings I can tell you are one of the UN-informed voters who want a hand out. Let me know how that hand out works for you pal?

I think we are in the brink of a depression (in case you didn't know, we are still in a recession...)

So go back to bed and dream of lollipops and candy canes, us WORKING Individuals will have the crap taxed out of us to pay for your heroes ONE TRILLION A YEAR SPENDING!

But hard times are coming due to the STUPIDITY of FREELOADERS who are afraid of a job and want a handout.

Nighty Nighty Baby Noresman (and no thanks to your vote for the destruction of our Nation!)

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/12/12 - 04:09 pm
Hope your right

As we all go Foreward with OUR reelected President that already has shown a few interesting signs of being a Burger King advocate by his actions here and abroad that seem to be a move backwards from his lets all get along preelection talk, i wonder if we do have a bright future and i really do hope your right. The Gop is also involved in this BK attitude and it does make one wonder what our going Foreward will look like as a United States of America, or a continued Divided States of America bringing more of the same do nothing Govt..
I read a couple interesting things the last few days during my self imposed Timeout to help adjust my attitude towards my fellow Americans and Alaskans which had veered off course of my intent to help people prepare for coming troubles.
As my appology stated i am sorry for the name calling and being sucked into that kind of mindset which is not helpful or benificial to anyone and actually shows a side of me that i continually try to avoid.
I truly do love people & i will help anyone and everyone at any time no matter religion, politics, race, color, creed, sex or age.

One thing i read was that the Constitution says that Congress shall make(revised from pass) no laws, which they do do.
The second was that Thomas Jefferson said People cannot be trusted on their own recognizance.
Jefferson said, you must chain government down with shackles of a Constitution. You must absolutely demand that they know what the Rules are, and that they stay within those Rules. They cannot be allowed to Freely practice deciet, which, if left unfettered, will bring to pass ruin of society.
Have we as Americans done our job of demanding that Congress and the President know and do their jobs and limitations? How can we ask them to obey the rules when WE THE PEOPLE refuse to inforce those rules?

I sure hope our going Foreward is as good as many say it will be. Please forgive me i pray if i prepare for the worst and hope for the best as we do go Foreward as a nation and state.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 11/12/12 - 02:45 pm
WoW Spin???

"One thing i read was that the Constitution says that Congress shall pass no laws, which they do do."
WoW, this was to easy. Just like BRD, you tend to spin things to the way you'd like them to be perceived. The actual amendment to the constitution concerning congress and laws reads as follows (Amendment 1)
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
Section 8 of the same amendment: "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."
Now I understand that some may see a difference between the words the words "make" and "pass." I do not. At any rate, if you could possibly reference the amendment and section which says "congress shall pass no laws" I would be interested in the context or interpretation of that amendment. If congress passes or makes no laws ... who does?
As for the Jefferson quote, I don't see the relevance between your two statements. However, you are correct in assuming that we the people do not understand nor do we even care to understand the rules under which our government operates. As a free people, we need to understand the constraints of government in order to enforce them.
I do believe you love people and want only to help. But I also believe that at times, you post things that are so far off base and always carry the same message that it may annoy some. I read your posts and garner one of three things (as many may read mine I might add) information, entertainment and sometimes irritating. But it is my choice to read or not read your posts. Post on WoW!

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/12/12 - 03:54 pm
SVP

I wasn't trying to PO anyone and my point was that WE THE PEOPLE seem to have allowed the condition we now see in Govt. to become as it is a out of control power seeking bunch that really could care less about most Americans.
I actually thought i was sharing a good point not trying to be intertaining or irritating either one.
We are a Divided people and things will not get any better if we continue down this road we are on. As i said i hope for the best, but also prepare for the same old thing and no hope and change to believe in from Govt. kind of like the Hurricane victims back east are now starting to realize.
Thanks for your clarification about the make no laws as i didn't really know what that refered too and your right it was make not pass. I do appreciate your knowledge and sharing on the many topics and completing my thoughts, ideas.
As i said i do care and am trying to not be divisive in my posts or veer off topic as i use to do.
Thanks for reading and answering and helping correct my post.

Hugh R. Hays
Hugh R. Hays 11/12/12 - 04:03 pm
Thank you all.

WoW I took your comments as an honest expression of a
person who does care about America, Americans and trying to make the world a better place for all of us. Thank you.

granny
granny 11/12/12 - 05:54 pm
Hats off to the Watchman

Thanks Jerry, your sincerity is much appreciated. We would all do well to take time for reflection. M Schrag

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 11/12/12 - 08:48 pm
Jerry

May I call you Jerry? My entire point concerning your post(s) is this; you are entitled to your opinion! Period! I am not always the most cordial of posters, but I do try sticking to the topic at hand. My posts are informative, entertaining and at times irritating! But I try to stay on topic. Opinions are like ears... everyone tends to have a couple of em! Keep posting and remember, we are all in this together. For better or worse, this is our system of government. As Ben so eloquently put it:
"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." Post on my friend!

BigRedDog
BigRedDog 11/13/12 - 05:58 am
Pulled the trigger didn't you

Well don't be putting those sights on the messenger. You can hide your head in the sandbox of liberal disciete and play with all the sand toys if it makes you happy. But that sandbox is really empty if all the sand from China blows away you'd be on bare ground or ROCK bottum. You can make all these airy high sylibled proclamations of how grand it will be now that the vote was taken. But you will not be able to hide the effects this election will really have on the youth of this and every community in this Nation. Politicians are all going to have problems passing promises of as a means of garnering votes in the future. Because you see those students you are sucking up to with all the flowery equitable, beautiful, and yadayada are going to learn from this election. That is if this form of government is to survive and flourish on the continent of our forefatheres.
They are going to look at the problems that went unanswered and unspoken in this past debockle called an election. The man that promised the most free stuff to the most voters won and, I may be the first to say it "But all bets are off". Gave him the farm didn't you, the most beautiful, optomistic, appreciative candidate may not be the medicine man needed to get the job done! Sure knows how to get elected and that's a fact. But these students whose virtue you proclaim are not stupid and someday they will look past the fluff fo social appeal and want a government that works and doesn't pull them down the drain with it!
Concider one problem that niether candidate even touched that is right now the most pressing problem in our countries homes, farms and stores! The use of corn for ethanol is killing our family farm industry. This one thing has impacted the foodchain from the top to the bottum and is not an eqitable solution to the need! Using corn to make ethanol is the most stupid thing we could do to mess up our farm economy! It makes the corn producers rich, and the refining groups will prosper, but any other type of farm commerce that used corn as feed is out of luck! Corn cost to much to feed the rest of the animals on the farm. Just wait until we run low on ham sandwiches next year. That's right, using corn to make fuel raised it's cost so much that a farmer can't afford to feed anything that eats corn!
I mentioned hog futures would sore last year, well this year I predict they will skyrocket right out of sight. If you like that ham sandwich better put some ham in the freezer for next year as the Chinese are buying it ALL now. In the overall picture it may not seem like much to watch our rural farm community fall into the hands of corporate America, but that's what's happening. And just how long will our Chinese overlords delay collection day. It's about that credit card all your students parents have been running up for the past 40 or 50 years, well it's due and we want our money NOW! Not your problem?
What percentage of the cost of refining and producing ethanol from corn is currently being paid by Federal Subsities? I am having a very difficult time finding out if it has changed from the original15 cents on each gallon needed from the public tax dole to make it work for the refining corporations. Yes that is right, every gallon of socalled green ethanol cost everybody in America 15 cents for every gallon you pump! That still seem green to you? Well now I know what they mean when they say Green Fuel! That is an ethanol pipeline carrying our money to China. But we don't want to talk about that, we are to busy enjoying the sand in our ears.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 11/13/12 - 08:03 am
BRD Ethanol from corn

The corn for ethanol program was promoted and passed by George W. Bush and drove the cost of corn out of site. I agree with you that this was, at best, a feeble attempt at green energy and it's energy efficiency is nil.
Now, as for the rest of your post, I will agree that there are going to be rough times ahead and WoW may have a good reason to be sitting on a mountain of beans and rice. Some Republican and the Democratic members of congress have stated publicly that it may be an advantage to their party to allow us to slide over that "fiscal cliff." Again, I elude to WoW ... we, the ill informed, self centered, selfish and uninformed voter has gotten us into this mess! We keep putting these schmucks back in office because we don't even bother to look at their voting record, legislation they have sponsored or co-sponsored or even their attendance record. We live in the information age and have access to limitless resources, but instead of using this resource for true knowledge, we shop craigslist or Ebay for good deals. We are a selfish, uninformed and unsuspecting public.
Concerning our debt to China; The largest portion of U.S. debt, 68 cents for every dollar or about $10 trillion, is owned by individual investors, corporations, state and local governments and, yes, even foreign governments such as China that hold Treasury bills, notes and bonds.
Foreign governments hold about 46 percent of all U.S. debt held by the public, more than $4.5 trillion. The largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury.
For China to call in our debt would be a shock not only to the US economy, but it would rupture the foundation on which China has built its trade, further push the world economy into oblivion and no one would be able to buy Chinese goods. It would serve them no purpose and they would be shooting themselves in the proverbial foot! The bigger threat is the smaller holders of debt that have virtually nothing to lose and all hopes of gaine. Calling in their smaller debts would do noting to hurt their economy, but may put them on a better economic footing with the US. The small debt holders of the other $3.3 T is who we should be most concerned about.
Thanks for the tip on ham! We may all be eating salted pork again, but I am holding out hope that congress will pull its head out of its arse and get down to business. Only 15 working days for them to come to an agreement in both houses of congress ... chances are slim and the stakes are high! We can only have faith that our lawmakers will finally come to their senses and compromise on a budget deal or we will slip into the throws of Europe's troubles. Then I will be having beans and rice (and a little ham) with WoW.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/13/12 - 07:58 pm
Whats our actual debt?

Not sue but i think our actual national debt is around $62 Trillion dollars.
From all the movement in the South Pacific it appears that some kind of plan is in works against China to make void our debt with them.
I don't know whats coming next but it does apear tha Prez. Bo is on some kind of Change of our military world wide. The missle sheild in Poland is going ahead which will set America at further odds and the dispute between Japan and China over some islands and Americas Pacific fleet build up is also raising eyebrows.
Then there is the Benghazi sacrificing of Americans and the Top two Generals John Allen and David Patraeus of CIA both being done away with makes one wonder whats up, why the removal of our top brass? Then when John Kerry is in line for sec. of Defence we had all better sit up and pay attention when everything else is added in to our nations national security.
Still hoping for a bright future here, but also preparing for what seems to be going in the wrong direction already by BO for America. Stock up on Spam, remember it's many uses during WWII? Hawaii has many resturants that feature this staple as their main dish in many varities. Buy spam and beans and rice while it's in the local stores.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 11/13/12 - 08:30 pm
National vs Federal Debt

National debt is very different from Federal debt. National debt is what we, the consumer owes on everything from credit card debt to auto loans and mortgages. Federal debt is the cost of running government.
We, as a society, have taken on the montra of the government... spend more than you make in the hope of paying it off in the future... or not!
As for the spam beans and rice... it never hurts to be prepared!

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 11/14/12 - 05:15 am
spending

G.W.BUSH did spent more than OBAMA.BUSH started with the help of a DEMOCRAT surplus,and squandered it to his cohorts.You know -HALLIBURTON.Obama will surpass BUSH in spending,but as of this time.President OBAMA has not.

Suss
Suss 11/14/12 - 07:08 am
GFDS98765

There is a group of women out North road that sound a lot like you and your buds. You know, work hard, hang out, go to the range etc. They are known as the Militia Etheridge group, do you ever have social events to get all the folks together?

robert white
robert white 11/14/12 - 09:54 am
Obama

Do you really think that if Obama was a white man he would have been re-elected? just asking...

Kaligula
Kaligula 11/14/12 - 12:16 pm
Obama

Robert-
Obama is not a white man, and he was re-elected. I think your point is that he is being held to a different standard than another person might have been. Regardless of what believes the answer to your question to be, it is irrelevant. The majority of the voting public chose the President's message over the other guy's message.

gfds98765
gfds98765 11/14/12 - 02:09 pm
those bright lights your

those bright lights your seeing aint what you think they are
and since my comments keep gettin deleted all I can say is

71% locals DID NOT VOTE for your missiah
60 million Americans DID NOT VOTE for your bronco bama.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/14/12 - 02:54 pm
Breaking News

Obama is 50% white. 43% Bedioun Arab and 7% black so in mathitical REALITY a white man was elected, but people just ain't smart enough to do math or percentages to understand what the gr8er number means.
As for Cousin Bush and Cousin Barack spending the most money WHO CARES? What part of we are ALL going off that cliff together don't ya understand?
What amazes me is the idea that only Republicans are Rich or deal in oil, what is the matter with you that believe this junk? So soon you seem to forget that many multimillionairs and billionairs supported BO, probably alot more than Romney ever.
It's not a war on rich people, they will survive, poor or middle class folks that want to work will not be able to due to the new deal taxs going into effect Jan. 2, 2013 and those tax deals will even go back on 2012 tax payers.

BOTH PARTIES UNDER BUSH OR BO HAVE A PLAN AND WE AIN'T IN IT.
They don't care about those that are not rich period.

Sam Von Pufendorf
Sam Von Pufendorf 11/14/12 - 04:48 pm
Un-official numbers gfds98765

The un-official popular vote and electoral college results were:
62.5 million (50.6%) 332 (61.7%) BHO
59.1 million (47.75%) 206 (38.3) WMR
2 million (2.2%) Other 0

I voted Romney, but the majority, for whatever reason voted in BHO. The masses have spoken and the wheels of a democratic republic have turned. I am hopefull for a successful congress and administration. Only time will tell!
gfds98765, my point is, it is hardly worth getting in a stir over something that; A) is out of our hands and B) has been decided by a slim majority.
It does tell me one thing ... neither party has the overwhelming confidence of the people!!!

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/15/12 - 10:02 am
Bright Future Flickering

I got a email this morning about Vitamin F, which stands for friends. The email showed that we all have many differant friends that cause us to act differant when we are around them, but it all works together as a Big Jigsaw puzzle and we need all the other pieces to complete the puzzle.
We are all in this Future thing together and as a friend i will share what i see coming and ask a few questions on this puzzeling puzzle we are all in.
How in the world is that 401K doing these days?
Are you ready to find out what was in that Obamacare bill that congress passed without knowing what was in it?
Wanna be that there is stuff in there that will hurt all of us that has nothing to do with health care?
How is that wonderful Global market doing as we see all the world ablaze with defaults and riots over crashing economies.
What about that wonderful Arab spring thingy that was going to stabilize the middle east which has now come to Israel, OUR ONLY FRIEND in the middle east?
War has started from Israel who is surrounded by those lovers of peace just as many thought it would right after the election.
If i was a guesser i would say that we are about to see a full scale war and Damascus, Syria is about to be totally destroyed which will bring Russia, Iran and others against Israel for WWIII and i wonder if any one else can see this piece of the puzzle we are all involved in, like it or not?
I still have hope for a bright future, but the light seem to be Flickering now more than ever and i wonder just how long they will stay on as a Bright Sign of Good things to come Globally as well as Nationally and Locally.
What happens when the Lights go out and can any of you see that they are Flickering and it's not a good SIGN as it shows that a Major Storm is coming and we had better get prepared for it's arrival now while we can do so.
Have a GR8 Day as we keep working on OUR Puzzle in hopes of finishing it for a Bright Future.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 11/17/12 - 08:27 pm
OH NO, no more Twinkies, What shall we do? What shall we do?

18,000+ people out of work NATIONALLY due to greed and unwillingness to negotiate in Good faith or listen to reason with Hostess, or try to help workers keep their jobs seems to be the cause of this and one must wonder if it will spread else where, even to the Kenai Borough?
Hostess did what many others will do in these getting harder Economic times, fold and go under causing more people to go on unemployeement and then welfare because of hard economic times and greedy people who are unwilling to see the writing on the wall of it is totally out of control and has to stop some time.
How can we go on without Twinkies or Ding Dongs or Fruit Pies and such?
Woe is us, and woe is them workers that refused to negotiate due to the ever prevalant attitude of "Have it your way," as they hit the highway because Hostess says NO WAY.
The Beginning is Nearer Now, thats for sure with no Twinkies and WW III started in the Middle East just because Israel thinks the plo should not shoot rockets into Israel nonstop and has finally said ENOUGH.
Actually the Twinkie thing has nothing to do with the Beginning being nearer now, but the WW III thing sure does.