• Overcast
    Overcast

Today's children not being raised with traditional values

Posted: December 17, 2012 - 8:52am

The change in history in the last 75 years as I recall has been dramatic. This has affected my grandchildren as it has millions of today’s children. In my time, we came home to do chores. Today they come home, turn on the TV and play games. Games that years ago were simple, to the games of today which are very violent and destructive so after a while, young people become immune to the violence built into the games.

Laws have been made by people who think they have all the answers about controlling the world and it has crippled family life. Older citizens enjoy and like the letters I write; people under 40 mostly don’t read newspapers nor watch more than one or two TV stations, so many of the people do not get an all around view of what is going on in the world. An under educated America is what our enemies want, and they have gone a long way to getting it. Each year, our education quality deteriorates and that has became acceptable. I’ll be out of here one of these days, and am very sorry about the state of the good old U.S.A.

jlmh
jlmh 12/17/12 - 12:10 pm
Why do you think today's

Why do you think today's children don't come home and do chores? That they only watch TV and play violent games? That does not describe the families I know. I have young children, so I get a fair amount of interaction with other families who have young children. I am just curious where you are observing these trends. I'm sure the nature of chores have changed, and both education and entertainment have certainly morphed to be more technical. But that does not mean that children - as a whole - have gone from hard work to violent gaming. I am sure that happens sometimes, but dysfunctional families have existed in every generation; they just suffered from different vices. I am sorry you have such a bleak opinion of today's youth. Every society has challenges, but I think our generation has made progress in a lot of areas too.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/17/12 - 01:04 pm
jlmh & Paul

I agree to a certain degree with each of you.
Things have changed and for the most part kids are left to their own devises and care, due to many changing life styles and pressures on the Family. Most kids don't have chores to do and if parents try to inforce rules that kids don't like then the legal system says that kids can do what they want to do and parents have no rights to stop them. Rules and laws have changed our society into the Have it your way no matter what or who, just as long as it's not like days of old.
It's that Fundamental Change and Hope to Believe in that Obama is pushing for it's completion and End game which is almost done. There is no Hope for anyone under the new hope and fundamental change of Obama or the OWO, it's all ment to destroy societies and the gateway is thru the Children and control of them as has always been the case.
The main thing i think is that the worlds view is to destroy the family structure and gain control of children and the TV, games and almost everything else related to raising kids is geared for that purpose of divide and conquer the family unit.
We are starting to reap the fruit of our labor of allowing the govt. and others to entertain and raise our children any way they wish so we can have the good life and all the pleasures we desire. Why? Because EVERYONE wants it their way, even adults, no matter who we are. Even Bible believeing people can forget and revert back into this mind set of it's all about you, do what makes you happy, eat that fruit it wont hurt. Well we, some of us can see the writting on the walls and it's not good or even understandable to many of why our society is crumbling all around us every day. It's gonna get far worse before it gets better at the End of the Age of Have it your way, it just has too.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/19/12 - 03:47 am
Clueless Allen

Previous post removed due to Prayers for Allen.

robert white
robert white 12/19/12 - 08:28 am
kids today

Paul, I think your comment is pretty close.. I'm not sure we can turn the corner of the financial and moral decay that's going on in this country. I hopeful it doesn't get to the point where everyone has is carry a gun.

Allen
Allen 12/19/12 - 06:17 pm
I don't know who Paul

I don't know who Paul Morrison and Jerry Baty/Watchman are constantly complaining about in their letters and posts, but are not describing the young people I see daily in my work. Contrary to their postings, young people today do work hard, in my opinion a lot harder than we old folks used to when we were there age. We didn't have nearly the homework when I was in grammer school and high school.

Paul Morrison: "Each year, our education quality deteriorates." Sir, what are you even talking about? My daughter graduated from the local high school, and she was well prepared for college and the job market. That showed me that our local education system is doing very well.

Jerry Baty: "if parents try to inforce rules that kids don't like then the legal system says that kids can do what they want to do and parents have no rights to stop them." This is just nonsense.

In my work I see young people valiantly struggling every day to meet the many challenges in this difficult and complex modern world. I get tired of hearing and reading generalizations about how bad they all are, with no facts or proof.

Watchman on the Wall
Watchman on the Wall 12/19/12 - 08:14 pm
You need to get out more

As a General whole of OUR Nations schools and kids in these schools we are not doing well at all. Alaska is not doing well at all either as a Whole. And yes DFYS does get involved with parent child issues and the parents rights are restricted in raising their kids. False claims by kids result in massive pain and sorrow for families and the laws help promote these things Nationally as well as state wide.
Please reread my post again and see that i did not class EVERY kids into a failed class. The no child left behind program is a bunch of hogwash and the govt. could care less about kids other than gaining more federal control of them any way they can do so. Americas kids as a whole are so far behind that it's no wonder we are shipping industry south. Some kids do excell, many others don't and thats the problem, the kids that fail to prepare, prepare to fail and our govt. is aiding them along the way.
Any time you would like to meet for lunch i'll share my life story and watch as you sit in shock and wonderment as to how i ever got where i am in life due to my childhood abuses and poverty level of many 3rd world countries of today living out of the local dump as i did.
Yes many kids do work hard to succed, but, many work hard not to succed and don't and our society suffers greatly because of those facts and the family unit is decaying more daily from pressures we just don't understand or know how to fight in order to stop this madness.

I'll also share my life long obligatory push to help others escape the life i had at every level of my adult life thus far and still work and do things and give money to help many and ALL people no matter who they are. No matter who they are.
The kids are our future and the govt. wants to control that future and it's not for the good of anyone or all, either.

msjinxie
msjinxie 12/24/12 - 07:13 am
Morals

I am glad this subject was broached. I totally agree! I hate to say this, but part if the big picture isnt tv, games or anything but LACK of morals. We sucessfully raised two wonderful, respectful kids, that now are starting their own families. The problem? Some parents have just adapted the 'whatever' attitude, they drink with their kids, let them do whatever they wish without any boundries or reprocussions. The result? Jails that are crammed already with NOW adults associate parenting with being their 'best friend'. THEY need parents not more friends!! You folks doing this are just setting them up for failure and that is so sad. Maybe when the Moms and Absent Fathers who are more interested in 'being cool' than helping their kids navigate this scary world will read this. Start PARENTING and stop giving up. You can blame your parents, TV, music your husband. Bottomline, YOUR bad choices you made in life that brought them into this world. Its not the government or anyone elses job but YOURS to deal with them now. GROW up!! Being a parent is more than just having a cute lil baby. You have birthed a lifetime commitment. This New Years, lets make a resolution to be better parents instead of it being all about you. Its their time....stop complaining and start doing something!!! Trust me, the whole world will be alot better place. It starts here at home.