• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

Slow drivers should be considerate, too

Posted: January 6, 2013 - 12:12pm  |  Updated: January 7, 2013 - 9:39am

I’d like to address the folks who cannot seem to drive the speed limit on the highway. I’m not writing about the speeders, but rather the ones who prefer to drive much slower than the speed limit! I’m sure there is a law (which I don’t believe is enforced often) stating that you must pull over if you are delaying 5 vehicles. Only rarely, very rarely, have I seen that actually happen. In the last couple of weeks I have been delayed in groups containing 8, 11, and even 22 cars. This was when the roads are clear of snow and the temperature well above freezing.

Why don’t slow drivers take the time to look in the rear view mirror and realize that you are the one causing problems?

If you are scared to drive, don’t do it. If you must, at least have the common sense to realize that other drivers are not scared. Some of us even enjoy it.

If you think you are doing fine, check your speedometer to see if it is calibrated correctly — different tire sizes affect speedometer readings.

If you don’t have good winter (perhaps even studded) tires, shame on you. Driving slow will not save you from an accident if you can’t stop suddenly — even at 20 mph.

I’m sure there are a multitude of other reasons to drive slowly. But at least show the courtesy you expect from others. Pay attention and realize that you may be the problem.

I do realize that we all need to be careful when road conditions warrant, and there are times that 40 mph or even less is fine. But please don’t do it on a clear sunny day with 15 cars stuck behind you. It should not be your decision whether or not I drive the speed limit.

dwhitak
dwhitak 01/09/13 - 01:31 am
Slow drivers

Yes there is a law that you must pull over if 5 or more vehicles behind you. I belive this is posted on the Seward and Sterling hwy. And its not enforced but if it was and you are in front driving the posted speed and a train of traffic is behind you should you pull over or be cited because other drivers may want to speed. As for driving slow I dont think there is a law for that. The posted speed is the max safe under perfect conditions road weather vehicle and driver ability.People who drive slow dont cause wrecks by themselves it could be the person who is driving the posted speed and is following to close. Maybe slow down till you get a safe time and place to pass. We all know their is not many pullouts on the sterling hwy around soldotna. And also their is a law that says drive with lights on at all times and it is not enforced either.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 01/09/13 - 07:07 am
speed

Are you not suppose to drive according to the road conditions
Posted speed,or not?

Obfuscate
Obfuscate 01/09/13 - 09:18 am
Competence

dwhitak - Your definition of the posted speed is not entirely accurate. The posted speed limit has little to do with "safety under perfect conditions". Speed limits aside, if there are 15 people all in a row perfectly willing and able to travel at or near the speed limit and one person who is incapable of traveling at the same speed - that person is impeding traffic and should pull over at the first opportunity to let people pass.

There are too many people that have been issued drivers licenses but do not have the competence or vision to safely operate their vehicles - good weather or not.

jlmh
jlmh 01/10/13 - 03:53 am
I agree. If you're holding

I agree. If you're holding up traffic, then pull over. If not because it's rude, then do it because some idiot will finally have enough and pass you on a blind corner. I've seen plenty of that too. Safe passing areas are limited (and often blocked by oncoming traffic); it's a lot easier for a slow driver to pull over onto the shoulder than for someone behind him to go around. And if you're driving slow because your attention is fixed on your phone, then please pull over or toss it out the window. Your text message is not that urgent, if it's not worth pulling over for.

ziggyak
ziggyak 01/11/13 - 04:47 pm
slow drivers

I know it is winter now, but here is a funny story from last spring. After getting my Corvette out last spring, I decided to go from my house in Kenai over to Soldotna to get it serviced and pay some bills. Yes it is a ticket magnet so it takes more control to stay at the speed limit and going by KCHS I noticed a KPD car behind me, so I was extra careful to stay at the posted speed limit and ended up getting pulled over for going to slow and impeding traffic. MY speedometer is off and that could well be the case on some of the slow cars or if you find everyone is going to slow for you maybe your speedometer is off the other direction. I have also found that no matter how fast you travel when you get to that first stop light everyone you tailgated and past pulls up next to you, so you didn't manage to do anything more than ruin your day and everyone else's by being so impatient on the highway, if you have to be some where on time make sure you leave with enough time to deal with traffic and break downs and relax a bit you will be a better person for it and everyone makes it home alive.

spwright 01/13/13 - 08:55 am
Bad Drivers

Sun. 1/13/13
The most effective & immediate solution to impatient & Bad Drivers is the sight of a Alaska State Trooper vehicle.

Nothing changes the attitude of bad drivers faster than a State Trooper.

We need to HIRE MORE STATE TROOPERS & then ASSIGN THEM TO HIGHWAY PATROL.

Only One State Trooper assigned to the Seward Highway from Girdwood all the way to Cooper Landing is just plain Wrong.

SPW"Airborne"