Community fortunate to have quality hospital

Posted: June 26, 2013 - 6:47pm  |  Updated: June 27, 2013 - 9:14am

This community and the entire Kenai Peninsula are incredibly fortunate to have the Central Peninsula Hospital facility available in time of need.

All staff members and especially the nurses were very special, always tolerating my every request in an attempt to comfort and meet my immediate needs. A very special thank you goes to the terrific Dr. Kelly and Dr. Humphreys team. They were always so helpful, concerned and compassionate.

As for Dr. Humphreys, they just don’t get any better. We are so very fortunate to have him as part of our community. He is among the very best in the medical field! I would trust my life in his hands any time. Thanks again! And to all who crossed my path during my hospital stay, you guys were terrific.

spwright 06/27/13 - 03:10 pm
Mr DeVito

Mr DeVito, Thur 6/27/13 I'm Happy for You & sincerely hope that You recover quickly.

Wait til Ya get those Hospital Bills ! You have just stayed in one of the Most $Expensive$ Hospitals in the entire Nation.

Everyone already knows that any service provided by Our Hospital is going to Cost Too Much.

Now this is a Taboo subject that is seldom discussed here on the Peninsula. This is all Hush Hush & top secret information.

I seriously suggest that You request a Detailed Inventory type Billing from Our Hospital. & you should ask questions & challenge any service or procedure that You do not understand. I have requested that those Billings be written in LayMan's Terms so the Patient may understand the billing. Those request were Ignored many many times. Even the Cashier & Her Supervisor could not explain What I was being Charged, What Service or Procedure that was done ?
Don't You ask "How much is this Going to Cost" You should see the Shock on their faces when Ask that question !

I have the Highest RESPECT for the Nurse's Aides, Nurses, Doctors, Lab Techs, & all of the Employees that actually Do the Work of caring for the Patients.

It's the Policy Makers & Upper Management that decide the Hospital Costs that I have issues with.

Hospital Management stated in public that Our Hospital made over 13 Million Dollars in Profiits last year.
Also the Billing dept will provide a 25% discount if a Patient pays their bill In Full within the 1st 30 days of service.
That PROVES Our Hospital Charges Too Much $Money$ for procedures & services.

Thanks for Listening SPW"Airborne"

corinnep
corinnep 07/01/13 - 06:14 pm
Where's your source for your

Where's your source for your comment that the local hospital is one of the most expensive in the nation? Everything I have seen indicates that the hospital costs are in line with other Alaska hospitals.

spwright 07/01/13 - 11:31 pm
corinnep

7/1/13 U of A Insitute of of Social & Economic Research

refer to a article by Tim Bradner where he states that Alaska
the $Highest Cost$ in the entire Nation. Feb. 2012

Again this is a Taboo subject that can't be discussed in Public
Hospital Management & Our Boro Assembly wants this kept hush hush.

SPW

corinnep
corinnep 07/02/13 - 12:54 pm
I'm still not seeing any

I'm still not seeing any proof to support your statement: "You have just stayed in one of the Most $Expensive$ Hospitals in the entire Nation." There's nothing from the Institute of Social and Economic Research that says that and Tim Bradner's article doesn't say that either. Please provide a link that supports your statement.

spwright 07/02/13 - 02:11 pm
Look again please

corinnep Please look at the 2nd paragraph, 1st sentense of that paragraph. "Alaska has the highest average cost for employee health benefits in the nation".

As stated before :Everyone already knows & has know for years, any procedure or service performed at Our Hospital is going to Cost much more than it should cost. That's common knowledge.
Soon Our Hospital will have a Monopoly on all Medical Services & without competition they can charge whatever they please. Competition is Good, Competition for Paying Customers keeps the Customer Cost Reasonable & keeps the care standards high. A monopoly is very Negative for the Paying Customer.
Thanks for Listening SPW "Airborne"

corinnep
corinnep 07/02/13 - 03:05 pm
I don't know what you are

I don't know what you are quoting from, but I don't see the connection between a statement that Alaska has "the highest average cost for employee health benefits in the nation" and your statement that the local hospital is "one of the Most $Expensive$ Hospitals in the entire Nation." Cost of employee health benefits and cost of hospital stay is not the same thing.

"Everyone knows" and "common knowledge" doesn't cut it for me - where is your data? Proof? I hope you will find some, rather than just ranting every time there is an article in the Clarion about the hospital. You are losing credibility, just like Ray Southwell.

spwright 07/02/13 - 03:30 pm
Proof

7/2/13 Your own CEO provided PROOF many years ago when He bragged about a 13 Million Dollar Profit for CPH.
& the Billing Dept offering a 25% Discount.
THAT is Proof that CPH Charges Too Much.

I'm guessing that You are Hospital Management cuz You seem to get very upset when a local resident challenges Hospital Policy ? News Flash, I am a Tax Payer that has helped to Pay for this Hospital thru 30 + years of Personal Property Taxes. Just like 1000's of other Central Pen. Residents.I have EARNED the right to challenge Hospital Policy. I helped to Build this Hospital & help to deliver the concrete to the Bldg Construction site. I'm certain there are many other Pen. Residents that can say the same.

As for Mr Ray Southwell, He WON his grievence vs Hospital Management. That proves his creditability. SPW

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 07/02/13 - 06:17 pm
Grateful

I personally am grateful that we have such a high quality hospital here, when I moved here we had to go to Seward or Anchorage ,there was no hospital .
The statement "You have just stayed in one of the Most $Expensive$ Hospitals in the entire Nation." could apply to any hospital in the state of Alaska. My insurance pays "usual and customary charges" and I would be willing to bet there is not one doctor/hospital/clinic in Alaska that charges "usual and customary charges"
It's like gas,groceries,concrete and a myriad of other things that are more expensive here than anywhere else in the good old US of A. Plain and simple ,it just costs more to live here.

corinnep
corinnep 07/03/13 - 11:37 am
Mr. Wright, I have asked you

Mr. Wright, I have asked you to provide data or proof of your claim that the local hospital is "one of the Most $Expensive$ Hospitals in the entire Nation." And you have not. Because, I suspect, there is no data that proves your statement.

I'm not an employee of the hospital or affiliated with it. I am a Borough taxpayer too. But I won't support people trashing the Borough or its hospitals without facts to back them up, and I will call people out when they try this.

Sure you can question hospital policy. Just do it based on accurate information, and not hot air.

spwright 07/03/13 - 01:56 pm
Alaskan Hospital

7/3/13 once AGAIN, proof has already been provided.
CPH is a Alaskan Hospital, Alaska has the $Highest Hospital Cost$ in the entire Nation. The CEO brags of 13 million dollar Profits for a NON-Profit Hospital, Billing Dept offers a 25% discount for early payment.
ALL of which PROVE that We the Residents of the Central Peninsula are PAYING TOO MUCH for procedures & services at OUR Hospital.

Those Profits should be Returned to the Central Peninsula Residents that OWN this HOSPITAL in the form of Lower Cost for Central Pen. Residents. A Personal Property Tax document would provide Proof of Residency & that proven Resident should PAY LESS than other Patients at OUR HOSPITAL . Is that not a reasonable possibility ?
Unless of course You WANT to Keep Paying those extreme Costs? Sounds to me like You Do ?
You know my name corinnep what is your name ?
Thanks for Listening SPW "Airborne"

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 07/03/13 - 02:37 pm
SPW

You sign your name SPW airborne ,thank you for your service. Doesn't the VA take care of your medical expenses? To me that is the meaning of "Support our troops" not flying 25 flags on a $40,000 pickup.
I notice you've amended your statement to say " Alaska has the $Highest Hospital Cost$ in the entire Nation." I can certainly agree with that!!

spwright 07/03/13 - 04:22 pm
Medical Cost

beaverlooper 7/3/13 The V A Medical Services will Take Care of SERVICE CONNECTED disabilities & medical issues.
& Veterans that are destitute & homeless.

& Yes the Kenai VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic in the Old Carrs Mall in Kenai has a Most Excellent Reputation of Caring for Our Local Veterans

Happy BirthDay America ! SPW"Airborne"

Suss
Suss 07/03/13 - 07:04 pm
VA Health Care

You do not need to be destitute to be eligible for VA Services ($41,600 single income cutoff), nor homeless. Contact your local VA for applications and counseling on how to be enrolled as a Veteran.

SPW should have AlaskaCare health coverage as a PERS retiree. The deductible should be very manageable, something like $800.00 per year.

spwright 07/04/13 - 06:41 am
Suss

Happy BirthDay America
Thank You for providing all of that info.
This is beginning to be one of those "Murphy's Law" type days. My Computer has tried to Crash 3 times already ?
& of course It's RAINING on the 4th of July.

OR the NSA or the GOP has bugged my computer to Crash ?

Yes You are correct, I do have Alaska Care Medical Ins PERS Retirement system. The very employee that is Great Client for Our Hospital cuz the employee has Medical Ins & actually Pays the Bills On Time & still gets Burned by the Hospital Billing Dept. Yes I sincerely believe that We PAY TOO MUCH FOR PROCEDURES & SERVICES at CPH.

To be brutally honest. The majority of Hospital Patients never even review the Patient Billing they receive. It is written so that only the Medical staff can understand the billing.
So many abbrevations & code terms Medical Speek that the average Patient just gives up trying to understand the billing.

Guess What ? That's exactly what the hospitals want to happen. Keep the Patient confused & frustrated so they won't question the amount of $Money$ being charged. Confuse the Patient so they won't challenge & ask questions.

I have requested numerous times for a billing that written in LayMan's terms that any Patient would be able to understand.
Very simple one sentense that describes the service received.
Not once has that request been completed ? even after speaking directly to the Director of the Billing Dept.

OK OK That's enough already Shut Up it's the 4th.
Thanks for Listening SPW "Airborne"

alaskabillv
alaskabillv 07/07/13 - 08:37 pm
SWP is Correct.

My own personal physician told me that CPH is THE MOST EXPENSIVE hospital in the country. Here is a little personal evidence. My wife worked for the hospital for 12 years (until she was fired for having breast cancer, but that is another story).

While she had the insurance from the hospital, the hospital's own insurance sent us an explanation of benefits for a procedure which stated the the charges were above reasonable and customary charges. Guess who was charging above reasonable and customary charges? You got it, CPH!

The very health insurance they were selling their own employees said what SWP and everyone else knows. Their charges are UNREASONABLE. I wish I would have saved that EOB, because it spoke volumes.

I am not complaining about the care, just the price. THE PRICES AT CPH ARE UNREASONABLE!!