• Overcast
    Overcast

Comments made anonymously should be substantiated

Posted: December 13, 2013 - 9:12am

The high level of journalism displayed by the Clarion and Ms. McChesney in their coverage of Cook Inlet’s fishery issues stands in stark and startling contrast to the public commentary offered in the Clarion’s online edition and in public comment on Internet forums.

Moreover, letters to the editor require a name while online comments, whether on the Clarion’s site or on an Internet forum, are made anonymously. One need read only a smattering of anonymous, online comments to realize that what some folks say from the safety of anonymity could be cause for punitive action if said openly.

Unsubstantiated accusations of state personnel and agencies — particularly ADF&G — are regularly made by people passing themselves off anonymously as “in the know,” and of knowing “who’s-doing-what-and-why.” What are the ethics of anonymous, online commentary? What are the legalities? Accusations and slander presented as fact when there is little to no evidence to substantiate the accusation or slander are or should be cause for legal action. On the other hand, such statements presented as opinion only are and should be protected under the 1st Amendment.

At CBS, Lara Logan and her producer, are on leave over possible inaccuracies in a 60-Minutes segment. Recently, a cheerleader won a defamation suit over Internet slander, and the website’s owner was also implicated. I’d encourage the Clarion — and Internet fora owners — to either disallow anonymity altogether or, alternatively, to require documented substantiation of any and all slanderous statements made about people and/or state agencies.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 12/24/13 - 08:22 am
Honest politician

I believe there are many honest politicians. They are lost as to how to keep the corporations in check. Doing so will destroy our economy. I have hope that Alaskan politicians are looking for answers. Many of my friends believe as you do. There is no hope.

I recently read President Roosevelt first inaugural speech. I am not sure he was honest. I do believe he feared the people. The people understood how speculative banking brought down the economy. He pushed through Glass-Steagall. He also understood money creation through credit. He did not stop the Federal Reserve Banking system. He did create several governmental credit systems. The logic behind the Federal Reserve is sound. In fact the concept has been created across the globe. Unfortunately, money creation is used for non-productive purposes. That has always been a failure. That is why many believe in gold/silver as money.

I do believe our State Legislators fear the people. If we understand how money creation, for non-productive purposes, has destroyed our economic future we could lead our politicians.

But it goes back to the question. Do you believe there are any honest politicians?

Seafarer
Seafarer 12/24/13 - 02:51 pm
Raoul d'Ghoul + The Bank of Southwell

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

I made that up 45 years ago! LOL!

Money is the root of all evil, and that's no lie. I'm sittin' in my cabin for Xmas, and my last load of wood will burn tonight. I do have some fuel. I ain't got a dime and my bank account is overdrawn. How would that work with a Public Bank, Ray? Wells Fargo charges me 31 bucks a pop and I've got 5 from "auto payments". What a joke! They take it out of your account whenever they want and BAM! Big surprise, you're overdrawn! Of course, I'll fight them and they'll cut the 31 in half, but not the whole thing. Why they approve payments when they know I don't have enough is beyond me. No warning, no nothing, no whips or chains. How would the Bank of Southwell react to that?

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 12/25/13 - 01:15 am
Fear

R.S.- I BELIEVE Alaskan politicians could care less as long as they get elected.Then immediately go to work for THEIR re election,and NOT to serve their constituents.Except with LIP service.Believing their are still honest is gullible.WE can not compete with the oil,gas,and mining Corporate monies.You can not forget the GREED.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 12/25/13 - 02:37 am
bank fees

Seafarer-You should change banks for better rates,and service.
You should not have to deal with your unhappy service.You were talking about YOUR money.Do the practical thing.You noticed.I did not change your name.
Merry Xmas

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 12/25/13 - 08:44 am
Merry Christmas

Seafarer Money should only be a tool to help people be productive. You misquote the bible. The actual words are "For the love of money is the root of all evil. . ." (1 Timothy 6:10).

Not sure about your particular situation. A public Bank of Alaska would create credit to help private businesses build infrastructure. Two things happen with new infrastructure. Job creation and improvements in how things are made in Alaska.

Like all private big banks, Wells Fargo suck the wealth of a nation into their money making schemes. Most like their speculation because they love money. But in the end the bubble bursts and we end up supporting the banks too big to fail.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 12/25/13 - 09:04 am
Merry Christmas

Raoulduke. I have difficulty differentiating gullible from faith. Because it is Christmas I will quote from another part of the Bible.
"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you." (Matthew 17:20)

You continue to miss the point of banking. Money creation through credit. We could compete with big corporations if we wanted too. It is interesting why the Native Corporations are all separate. They were going to be one large Native Corporation. But the private corporations feared it would be too big. So, they changed the original plan. We could send shock waves through Wall Street Banks by establishing the biggest private bank in the nation. Have you studied any of the links I have posted?

Seafarer
Seafarer 12/25/13 - 03:30 pm
What Defines "The Public"?

Yeah, credit for giant corporations is what you envision, but does "public" mean Jane the Plumber? What would our rates of interest be? Is Jane even invited to the party? Private citizens would be guests at the party and what are our risks and benefits? Could one earn interest from their checking account? Would this be FDIC insured?

Quell questione, mon Ami!

Seafarer
Seafarer 12/25/13 - 03:41 pm
Ray

re: Your Xmas hello to All: I think ole Matt was drunk, because that is just nonsense! Wha? Huh? Go to bed, Matthew! Your drunk!

Or maybe, he was stoned! Pot grew there. That's how cordage got started (cordage and Marlinspike Seamanship is my thing). So! Ole Matt smoked some weed and verily said whatever and everyone else was stoned and thought him profound! I've had that happen a bazillion times being stoned. Sometimes I write them down. Do you think future people might dig them up and make me the Missiah for some stoney thing I said? (Note spelling. Ha!)

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 12/25/13 - 06:28 pm
Raoulduke
Raoulduke 12/26/13 - 08:38 am
Faith

R.S.-So! You still have faith that there may be an HONEST person in the political arena.It would be difficult to differentiate from faith,and being gullible in that light.

cormit
cormit 12/27/13 - 09:49 am
commentary

The article above is not about problems with political parties, it's about deteriorating civility and accountability in "the comments section" that most on-line publications provide.

Anonymity is a privilege that has been greatly abused. "Commenters" that have enjoyed being able to post an immediate comment ..... and therefore exercise their freedom of speech undeterred, have often demonstrated an inability to adhere to even a minimal standard of civility. It has become a "cyber tragedy of the commons" so to speak, and it is only getting worse. People think if they can hide behind a fake identity, they don't have to be accountable for what they say/post.

The loss of anonymity is an attempt to encourage posters to be more responsible and cicvil about what they have to say.