Reasons to be outraged

Posted: April 14, 2014 - 8:39am

Some of my friends think I’ve lost my mind. They don’t understand why I’m so concerned about what has been going on in politics and in the life of our nation. Some folks have even accused me of being a bit angry about what’s been going on around us. Let me explain my anger ...

When 25 hedge fund managers make as much as 685,000 school teachers, I’m outraged and I want you to be outraged with me! All we have to sell to one another is our lives, an hour at a time, and nobody’s time is worth that much more than anothers’.

When half of my tax dollars are spent subjugating and killing others — including innocents — who pose no threat to us whatsoever, I’m outraged and I want you to be outraged with me! We spend as much on “defense” as the next ten nations combined and in the meantime, our country is rotting from the inside out due to the lack of reinvestment in our infrastructure and in one another.

When we have the infrastructure in place to kill anyone anywhere in the world yet a low-income worker in our land can’t afford medical care, I’m outraged and I want you to be outraged with me! Let’s join virtually every other industrialized country and begin viewing basic health care as a human right so that when Americans get sick, instead of worrying about car washes and bake sales and about losing their savings, house and car, they’ll only have to worry about getting better.

When virtually everything I say or do is recorded and I’m tracked wherever I go, I’m outraged and I want you to be outraged with me! In the name of security, we have forfeited our freedom! We demand the return of our privacy!

Now that the gloves are off and our government is up for sale to the highest bidder, I’m outraged and I want you to be outraged with me! For the love of God, please, let’s join the fight for publicly funded elections! If we look down the road a ways, surely you can see where it will lead us when wealthy, powerful interests not only control our sources of information but also the levers of government — totalitarianism and grinding poverty for all but the insiders.

My race is almost done — I can see the finish line from here. Nelma and I are financially secure and these things that terrify us probably won’t have much of an impact on us. I’m just worried about my children and their children. I just want our kids to be able to live peaceful, secure, healthy, private lives governed by a system that is responsive to their needs, not their checkbooks.

Isn’t that something worth fighting for? And it’s going to be a struggle because nobody in power ever relinquishes power simply because it’s the right thing to do and you asked politely.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/14/14 - 11:36 am
Anger-Outrage

Great letter Mr. Treider. Expressing anger and outrage is certainly appropriate given the state of things in the USA. But you think like so many in the USA. Financial security based on dollars/money. Most ignore those things that outrage you because they feel financially secure.

That security is waning and will soon change. Financial security is having skills and abilities to produce goods or services others want. Just look around the world The financial system with the dollars dominance is ending.

You might be interested in this recently published book.

Or this new book also called Death of Money from another author. http://www.amazon.com/The-Death-Money-Collapse-International/dp/1591846706

If we just ponied up and had a local discussion of what a successful economy would look like.

Rather, most accept, what you are angry about. They do not want to change the system that makes them financially secure with dollars/money.

It is my prayer there will be many, like you, wanting to have a honest discussion of economics when their financial security (dollars/Money) is destroyed.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 04/23/14 - 08:43 pm
no such thing

There is no such thing as finical security,

Unglued
Unglued 04/15/14 - 07:53 am
the power to kill

Eric, I share your outrage at spending so much of our national treasury for "defense."

Eisenhower had it right when he warned about the military-industrial complex. It can get presidents elected. The economies of several states—Alaska included— now depend upon it. It breeds only hawks, never doves. It adds incentive to starting wars. It's too big for it's own good.

In many parts of the globe our defense has become downright offensive. In the name of defense—the threat of the spread of Communism, in this case—we rained more bombs on Vietnam than were dropped in the Europe and Pacific Theaters combined in WW-II. It's not true that our present military is for our country's defense.

Since WW-II, our military power has been used to a large extent to spread "freedom" and "democracy" in select—read "white"—parts of the world. By forcing our version of freedom and "democracy upon other countries, haven't we become a little like religious zealots who would kill people in order to get them to see the light? BTW, during the Spanish Inquisition, water- boarding was one of the preferred methods of torture.

Maybe if we were less zealous, fewer people would be motivated enough to become terrorists. Seems to me that we've lost a lot of freedom because we've had so defend ourselves from terrorists. And there's no end to this insanity in sight.

iceice
iceice 04/15/14 - 11:23 am
Well said

It's sad how issues like this can be politicized and all of a sudden republican backers are supporting issues that are absolutely bad for them, their future, and their health. Somehow reducing wealth inequality and getting the money influence out of government becomes "socialism". The whole political and social climate of the United States is disconnected from anything rational. Thanks for sharing Eric.

kksalm
kksalm 04/15/14 - 02:34 pm
I am outraged with you

Those outrageous circumstances you speak of, they certainly exist. Our country today is a sinking ship. Unfortunately the supreme court no longer is on the side of the middle class, it quite transparently sides with corporatocracy.
It's been coming for awhile now.
What would Thoreau think?

Peace, out...

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 04/16/14 - 08:16 am
Outraged?

OK, I get it! Your outraged but then you offer no reasonable solutions! Our country since WWII has been seen as the Big Brother to all of those oppressed people in 3rd world stink holes. I would love to see our Departments of State, Education and Health and Welfare closed down since in my mind they serve no useful purpose except to give money away. One thing that could/would also help would be to remove Obama from office and this country so all of his Judge appointments would be disallowed and reversed

Suss
Suss 04/16/14 - 08:52 am
RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/16/14 - 09:16 am
You don't get it

Cheapersmokes and Suss. You don't get it, This is not right side good left side bad or vice-versa. Hugh corporations run our government with the mega-banks on top of the garbage heap.

Want to change it? Break up the monopolies. President Roosevelt did in in 1933 with Glass-Steagall act. Standard Oil, Ma-Bell. Instead, the monopolies keep getting bigger. Those in power manipulate the public's thinking. The people retain the power of the purse. Stop supporting a failed economic system through tax extortion.

No honest discussion because most do not really want to change anything. We get such great benefits. The dollar remains king of the world, for a short time longer. When it fails, do not blame government. We did nothing to change anything.

Suss
Suss 04/16/14 - 06:04 pm
Somebody does get it

The concern is for those that preach harm to our country should include those that advocate not paying taxes to show their lack of common humanity with all Americans. Takers of benefits from this country and refusing to acknowledge their own hypocrisy is where the understanding is missing.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/16/14 - 07:24 pm
Hypocrisy

Suss- "GREAT COMMENT" I believe.You truly get it.

leewaytooo
leewaytooo 04/17/14 - 03:52 am
well, if it were to turn

well, if it were to turn off it's thinking ( I suspect it did so a

long time ago when the psychotic infected it) it would

feel better as obscurity fades into black.....

no "take two" you only get the one "take"....and it

has chosen to play it's part in a manner that is so indigestible

that no one will listen, pay attention or agree..

wrong choices, bad direction, equals failure........

financial security is a result of effort in relation to the

degree of comfortableness that each individual chooses

to obtain..

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/17/14 - 08:28 am
McCarthy II hearings.

Oh man that article from CNN should frighten all Americans. I suggest we start having congressional hearings to root out those Right Wing extremists. Lets call it the "McCarthy II hearings."

laurasievert
laurasievert 04/17/14 - 12:15 pm
Mr Treider: A great letter.

Mr Treider: A great letter. May I add an outrage? I am outraged that our government subsidizes energy companies for their costs of oil production to the tune of tens of billions of dollars every year . Meanwhile, we are fouling the planet towards a tipping point from which it will be difficult or impossible to recover. I am outraged that our so –called leaders are unwilling to look beyond their next campaign contribution, bribe or paycheck. Right now, in Alaska and in the U.S. we have the ways and means to convert to renewable energy in a major way. We just lack the will.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/18/14 - 08:20 am
Great point

You raise a great point laurasievert. Why are we using the same energy source we started using 100 years ago. Technologies advance but we are stuck with 100 year old fossil fuel usage. Money talks and until we understand the connection of money creation (economics) and corporate control nothing will ever change. That is until we fall flat on our face. We do have that destiny. Sooner rather than later.

Unglued
Unglued 04/18/14 - 11:20 am
Priorities

Listening to most any talk show on the AM dial anymore scares me more than the threat of muslim extremists. We seem to have far more right-wing nut cases than any other kind. Seems to me that if they spent more time getting at the root of problems, such as removing the ability of corporations to affect the outcome of elections, most of the problems they perceive would go away. They rail at our government, yet, their "solution" seems to be anarchy. The law-flouting rancher in Utah is a good example. The government had good cause to arrest him for breaking several laws, not to mention despoiling public land. Yet, when it tried, the right-wing "freedom" crowd moved in brandishing guns. Watching those swaggering clowns made me embarrassed to be an American.

Is this not a nation of laws? If we don't enforce our own laws, we no longer have viable government. That concerns me, and it should concern everyone.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/18/14 - 05:20 pm
Scary is right

Unglued-My concern is not solely with any religious extremist,but with any,and all extremists.Especially the Domestic ones that think they are flying below the radar. Anarchy is also NOT the answer.

Suss
Suss 04/18/14 - 08:06 pm
Toxic Shock Jocks

The problem with listening to continuously toxic and nasty radio or TV rantings is the long term damage to your view of the world. Garbage in, is garbage out. These "nattering nabobs of negativism" (written by Safire) and "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history," are contributing to a groupthink form of mental illness. Without intervention the prognosis for a healthy and wholesome life is not likely.

There is an economic foundation that promotes this negative broadcasting which has their own agenda and that benefits them by the spewing of hate and dissension.

Psychological programming for the goal of political gain.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/19/14 - 09:37 am
Free Speech or mental illness?

It appears most of the recent commentators here support the Supreme Courts decision of free speech for only the wealthy and their corporations. I don't and therein lays our differences on the first Amendment. Even the poor working man should have a voice. To those who may be interested to hear from the rancher in Nevada (Cliven Bundy) who stood up to the BLM, please feel free to listen to an on-line radio program. Be warned, they start and end their program with a prayer and have recognized the injustice to my friend Schaeffer Cox, in past shows. This program is 2 hours long and I am sure many will see the "mental illness" of Cliven Bundy.

Norseman 04/19/14 - 10:20 am
cliven Bundy violated the law

cliven Bundy violated the law that all the rest of us abide by. Many ranchers lease land from the blm and it is not a problem. These leech wants to free range his cattle without paying.

This has zero to do about freedom. It has to do with someone who chooses to ignore state and federal laws and therefore should be handled as a criminal.

If you want to run cattle on govt owned land, then pay the lease. Otherwise go buy your own ranch land.

The guy is a leech and a parasite. Nothing more than a domestic terrorist, just like your dear old wife beating buddy cox.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/19/14 - 12:02 pm
Rule of Law

The highest law of the land is known as our Constitution. It was created, by the people, to limit federal government. You obviously do not care about Bundy's stand on that limited government contract with the people. Rather you do as you always do, revert to name calling. In the attached above, Bundy hopes he will get justice from the Supreme Court. But he and I both doubt it. But then again I did not believe I could get justice in a court of law some years back, but I did. Norseman do you remember the names you called me then? But the judge rejected the ad hominem attacks.

Perhaps I will be wrong again and Bundy will get justice.

Oh, you may be interested on a on-line radio show today at 1PM. Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America is expected to have Fairbanks attorney Robert John on his radio program talking about the injustice to Schaeffer Cox. Mental illness seems to be spreading like a cancer. Or maybe it is a concept called Freedom and Liberty.

Suss
Suss 04/20/14 - 10:52 pm
Cliven's Constitution

Seems that there is more than one version of the Constitution.

The unfolding drama in the Nevada desert over a deadbeat cattle rancher’s refusal to pay customary grazing fees like every other rancher, continues to excite the Tea Party pseudo-patriots who believe that threatening a range war in defense of personal greed is a mark of virtue. However, Cliven Bundy’s domestic terrorism serves nothing more than his own selfish financial interests, and the crusade he purports to lead is rooted in the worst sort of perversion of constitutional principles.

The threatening hysteria and deception emanating from Bundy, and the armed militias that came to his defense, are emblematic of the apocalyptic doctrine of the NCCS. It is no accident that Bundy’s Constitution was provided by a group whose teachings have been denounced by historians and constitutional scholars. But it does explain the extremism and advocacy of violence that Bundy et al have espoused. All of this makes it all the more inappropriate and irresponsible for Bundy to be hailed as hero by conservative media outlets like the National Review and Fox News who, just last week, compared Bundy to Gandhi in a feat of epic cognitive collapse.

Bundy has resisted paying to graze his cattle on federal land because he doesn’t recognize the authority of the government to assess those fees. His argument has lost repeatedly in court, but he continues to ignore his responsibility and to defy the law. His malfeasance amounts to the theft of over a million dollars from the American people. Ironically, if his argument prevailed he would be subject to paying the state of Nevada for grazing rights at $15.50 per head of cattle, rather than the federal rate of $1.35. But simple math, like simple logic, is too complicated for these cretins. So instead, they take up arms against their fellow Americans and pretend to defend their twisted misinterpretation of the Constitution.

Now we have evidence of where Bundy may have picked up his constitutional delusions. In a recent media appearance, Bundy was proudly displaying a copy of the Constitution in his shirt pocket.

Sound familiar? Skousen’s warped ideology syncs up perfectly with the Tea Party and other purveyors of fringe fear mongering like politi-vangelist Glenn Beck, who literally begged his audience to read Skousen’s book, “The 5000 Year Leap,” which Beck said was “divinely inspired.” The conspiracy-obsessed NCCS shares with Beck and Bundy an animosity toward government that exceeds the boundaries of common sense. Along with Skousen’s books, the NCCS website features anti-UN screeds (“Confronting Agenda 21″), treatises on wingnut electoral reforms (“Repeal 17 Now!”), harbingers of one-world government (“The Rise of Global Governance”), and appeals for institutionalized theocracy (“America’s God & Country”). No wonder Bundy was sporting a version of the Constitution that was distributed by the NCCS, an organization that advances ultra-conservative conspiracy theories and promotes anti-government hostility.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/21/14 - 08:33 am
Open mind

I read things from all sides and make my own decisions. There is an old sales technique. If logic fails to sell then use emotion. I see it displayed on all sides of an argument. Your post is purely from an emotional side. I see no logic. There is only one Constitution. Bundy can and does express his Constitutional stand clearly. But like children on the playground, emotion wins the day for you.

It reminds me of a way slave owners kept their slaves under control. Divide and conquer. It is called the Willie Lynch principle. Based on a letter purportedly written by the slave owner named Willie lynch in 1712. Here is the letter (PDF) from Indiana University-Purdue. It logically explains how to use emotion to make compliant slaves.

Suss
Suss 04/21/14 - 10:04 am
Bundy is a Thief

Bundy would not pay his dues and has invoked any and all lies to evade his debt. Including a Mormon right to the land. To not understand this concept says a lot about his mindset and his followers thought process as well.

Nothing emotional about this, it is more like math, debt or no debt. Those that are deluded with hate and fear mongering
are the ones not seeing all sides.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/21/14 - 10:32 am
Hate and fear mongering

There is enough hate and fear mongering all over. I was unable to read your last posted link. I could not get past the emotional heading of

"Cliven Bundy’s ailing America: What a wingnut rancher’s rise says about our waning democracy."

But you have picked a side based on the Willie Lynch principle. I have not heard or read anything, from Bundy, about his Mormon faith. But I understand your thoughts. It was the same thoughts that drove the Mormons to find a land where they could live in peace many years ago. But you express the same hate mongering expressed to Mormons throughout their history. Long live the Willie Lynch principle. Our slave master uses it well.

Suss
Suss 04/21/14 - 11:13 am
No hate, no lie.

There is no hate in my posts. The idea that Bundy is claiming title to government land because the Mormons were there first is the issue. Some delusional mental issues are probably the cause for confusion, or lying simply for the sake of greed.

Rational critical thinking is getting rare when the overwhelming hate for something interferes with your synapses. This sometimes does not allow for comprehension and thus the twisted and lying responses to simple, truthful and abundantly clear statements.

When your hate is all consuming it tends project itself on other thoughts and blaming others for hate where there was none.

The first casualty of war is the truth. Someone has been at war with the "Central Government" for way too long. Peace, out.

Norseman 04/21/14 - 02:11 pm
So with rays logic, lets all

So with rays logic, lets all stop paying taxes.
Let's all go drift and set netting for salmon without buying or paying for the permits/leases.
Let's all go and cut all of the wood we want from the BLM and US Forest service lands.
Lets all go mine gold, copper, and silver without getting or paying for any permits/leases.
Lets all go drill for oil in the Arctic National wilderness.
Lets all run our livestock on government land for free.

All we need is to arm some wingnuts and say that our government isn't recognized.

I agree with Sen Reid, they all are nothing but domestic terrorists.

kksalm
kksalm 04/21/14 - 10:49 pm
But wait! Are we not to be outraged?

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.”—John F. Kennedy

Those tempted to write off the standoff at the Bundy Ranch as little more than a show of force by militia-minded citizens would do well to reconsider their easy dismissal of this brewing rebellion. This goes far beyond concerns about grazing rights or the tension between the state and the federal government.

Few conflicts are ever black and white, and the Bundy situation, with its abundance of gray areas, is no exception. Yet the question is not whether Cliven Bundy and his supporters are domestic terrorists, as Harry Reid claims, or patriots, or something in between. Nor is it a question of whether the Nevada rancher is illegally grazing his cattle on federal land or whether that land should rightfully belong to the government. Nor is it even a question of who’s winning the showdown— the government with its arsenal of SWAT teams, firepower and assault vehicles, or Bundy’s militia supporters with their assortment of weapons—because if such altercations end in bloodshed, everyone loses.

What we’re really faced with, and what we’ll see more of before long, is a growing dissatisfaction with the government and its heavy-handed tactics by people who are tired of being used and abused and are ready to say “enough is enough.” And it won’t matter what the issue is—whether it’s a rancher standing his ground over grazing rights, a minister jailed for holding a Bible study in his own home, or a community outraged over police shootings of unarmed citizens—these are the building blocks of a political powder keg. Now all that remains is a spark, and it need not be a very big one, to set the whole powder keg aflame.

Have a wonderful day!

Suss
Suss 04/22/14 - 12:09 am
Send the bill and cow collector

There is no national hero, no founding father status, Cliven Bundy is a fraud and a carny huckster. This cowboy show is to dodge his debt and lie to garner support.

Pick your victims carefully, this is not a worthy cause for a standoff over trespassing cows.

What if the debt was owed to you? Oh, that's right it is owed to you, and all of us Americans.

Could the federal court do a writ of assistance to the Clark County, Nevada court and have the sheriff seize Bundy's assets and put and end to this circus? Would Bundy give up then?

leewaytooo
leewaytooo 04/22/14 - 03:40 am
it is not the "government"

it is not the "government" it is "we the people"....

as long as there is more than one person there will always

be someone that is misusing it's position in order to

obtain personal satisfaction for some personal gain..

people either do right or do wrong..... the institution of

government is not at fault, it is the people within that

are at fault.... that is why we vote.......

the bed bugs and psychotics of the world want chaos

in order to create their own brand of fiefdom, where they

are the one's that decide what is right within their little

cults..........all institutionalized by the threat of the gun....

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 04/22/14 - 09:11 am
Reality check.

Mr. Bundy has explained his situation clearly. This is a States Rights issue. Much as my letter to the editor expresses.(published today) In the past, many objected to equal rights for people of color. Today, many object to equal rights for all States. For those who would like to read the logic behind equal rights for all States please read the attached.