Alaska must fight for equal treatment from feds

Posted: April 21, 2014 - 3:34pm  |  Updated: April 22, 2014 - 8:54am

I grew up during the civil rights movement. Imagine, people of color wanting equal rights and protection under rule of law. Well, Alaska has been battling for equal rights under rule of law for decades. Since 1866 all Lower 48 states were allowed to establish roads on federal land that had been historically used as roads or paths to transport goods and people. Along came Alaska in 1959 and became a state of the union. Our equal rights are a joke, much as they were/are a joke for people of color. So Alaska must use tax dollars to sue the federal government (in their courts) to force equal treatment under rule of law. Don’t hold your breath. The federal government occupies 70 percent of our land in Alaska and we are always treated like the ugly step child.

RaySouthwell 04/22/14 - 09:52 am
Unequal footing of the Western States

Here is a great article to better understand the States Rights issue. Careful, the author uses logic revolving around the Constitution. His thinking was generated because of the Nevada situation at the Bundy ranch.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/22/14 - 11:37 am
States Rights

Alaska voted for statehood. Republicans did it. They do not make mistakes. This state has been a Republican run state for decades. No need in crying over spilled milk.Do not forget the "SUPREMACY CLAUSE",or does that not matter?

Norseman 04/22/14 - 05:18 pm
you and norm still trying to

you and norm still trying to start your own govenment? You guys never let any militia news goes to waste do you. Trying to portray the wingnut deadbeat rancher from Nevada as some kind of patriot just proves how far on the wrong side of history you are.

We had our fighting days in the 1860's. It was called the civil war. Time to chill bro.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/23/14 - 04:45 am
Alaska privately owned

The land in Alaska is owned by the Federal ,State,and the Indigenous governments.Which makes very little of this massive state privately owned.Your ownership percentages are slightly askew.

Suss
Suss 04/23/14 - 07:16 am
Major disconnect in logic

Is the imagining of people of color a peculiar point to bring forth when people of color are only imaginary to the Nevada protest groups?

When militias invoke racism to bolster their cause against the federal government I tend to pause and wonder if Cliven Bundy was a black or a Native American and his supporters were armed people of color, how differently the Nevada standoff would have been?

Just how diverse are Alaska's militias and Tea Party groups? Is the attempt to use the race problems in America a tad bit hollow when these groups are so very overwhelmingly white?

Maybe it is wrong to think that the lack of people of color in these groups implies a message that involves race.

RaySouthwell 04/23/14 - 08:28 am
Now I understand the logic

Thanks Raoulduke for your logical understanding. Alaskans are not smart enough to control all their land. We vote in the wrong ways so only government has the infinite knowledge and should control Alaska's land. It helps me understand why Texans only have the federal government control 2% of their land. Texans must be smarter and vote properly. I have read about that kind of thinking before. Women and people of color should not be allowed to vote. They too, are not smart enough to vote properly. Thanks-Got it.

Oh, the Supremacy clause contains three groups of Laws. The Constitution is listed first, Laws of the United States second and Treaties third. Again I understand your thinking now. But I am confused on a couple of things. What happens if the laws conflict, which group is superior? I always thought it was the Constitution. That is why it must be amended to be changed. If United States laws were superior to the Constitution, why does retired Supreme Court Justice Stevens believe the Constitution should be amended? Why not just have Congress pass a law?

One last thing. Please show me how my numbers are askewed. Federal Government occupies 70% of Alaska, 87% of Nevada (see the attached) and 2% of Texas. Perhaps if Nevada owned more of their land they could develop an economic system other than prostitution and gambling. Not that prostitution and gambling are bad economic systems.

RaySouthwell 04/23/14 - 08:38 am
Name calling

As usual Norseman you revert to emotional name calling. Perhaps we will see a new civil war. West against east. This time, the west demanding equal rights to other States of the union. Probably not. The feds will just start up the money printing machines and give those second class States a little more cash. Money can buy love. At least the feds think so. Look how much we give to nations all around the world to buy their love.

RaySouthwell 04/23/14 - 09:04 am
Suss

Please do not associate me with the Tea Party. Never been there and not going. But you claim all knowing knowledge on who and what I believe.

I do know and understand the militia. In the 60's, Black Americans understood the historical truth about the militia. The Black Panthers were a militia in the beginning. Protecting their communities from tyranny. Norm and I helped establish militias all over the nation in the 90's. Google- JJ Johnson, militia. A black militia leader from Ohio. He and I were on the Phil Donnahue show. He also spoke to congress with Norm back in 1995. You can see JJ Johnson testimony to congress on youtube.

Then there is the Detroit Constitutional Militia we help establish back in the 90's. Here is a story written about Clifford Brookins and Rev McAfee.

Clifford has a special place in my heart. When I could not find work in Nursing, Clifford took me into his Detroit home. Never charging me a dime to stay there while working in the City, 300 miles from where I lived. Clifford taught me a lot about the black fight for Liberty and Freedom. It was the first time I ever heard his quote. "There is no justice in America, it is Just-us."

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/23/14 - 01:35 pm
The Black Panthers

The Black Panthers were in their beginning a Community help group.Free breakfasts,shelter,schools,anti drugs in their neighborhoods.The addition,and taking over of the group by militant radicals.Which led to the killing off the more moderate of the group.They became not the community help group as in their beginning,but an armed group of militants. Which caused their downfall,and the intervention of the federal government-The FBI. The quote about just-us has been around for over 50 plus years to my recollection.Nothing new.

Suss
Suss 04/23/14 - 02:57 pm
Militia Maven

I know nothing of militias or Tea Partyers, wonder about their exclusions and how they do not seem very inclusive of all groups. Michigan in the 60's was a racially divided powder keg. Moving on to the 90's and the Norm and Ray militia road trip through the nation, that must have been exciting and costly. Were there federal grants available to promote this or was this done out of pocket? This is a serious question considering there is school of thought that militias are a form of "salt lick" to draw in and identify those that need watching by the same government that they protest so vocally about. Think Amway( another Michigan connection) and their multi level marketing, with greater commissions for greater numbers. There must have been constant surveillance by the evil government during the recruitment phase of militias. The history with the FBI being involved with other militias has been brought out at criminal trials from the past few decades. More recently the Alaskan prosecutions, both state and federal showed a strong government involvement.

A book or movie should be made about the fascinating truth in the near future. I see Hollywood coming knocking. Someone needs to sell their story to a screenwriter, or has this already been done?

Far from being all knowing, I remain forever all questioning and looking forward to the great Alaska militia novel.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/23/14 - 07:19 pm
State ownership

Feds own 60% of Alaska with the majority set aside for public use.The state owns 28% which the state has been permitted to select any lands from the Feds.Which have not already been reserved for other purposes.Even today these lands can,and are being selected by the state for road construction,schools,hospitals,and the like.The ANSCA Act of 1971 gave 11% of the state plus $1billion dollars to villages,and native corporations. The ANSCA Act Generally gave priority over the state for land selection.There is less than 1% of this state that is of other private ownership-Not of native descent.The state of Texas with such a low percetile of federal ownership was a Republic before joining the union,and did not have the troubling process of ownership as did the Territory of Alaska.Which was solely owned by the United States.Until it's entrance as the 49th state.

RaySouthwell 04/24/14 - 07:55 am
Where is the documentation

Like noses most here have an opinion. Where is your documenting support?

I quote from the attached-"The Black Panther Party's most widely known programs were its armed citizens' patrols to evaluate behavior of police officers and its Free Breakfast for Children program. However, the group's political goals were often overshadowed by the criminality of members and their confrontational, militant, and violent tactics against police."

A Constitutional militia in the beginning.

RaySouthwell 04/24/14 - 08:00 am
What is your point Suss

Not sure what you are saying. Amway, Michigan and the militia. I am a little slow. Like Forrest Gump. Please further explain what your point is.

Suss
Suss 04/24/14 - 09:26 am
Bundy and Slavery

Bundy is still spouting his views as a spokesman for the America he understands but does not recognize.

Finally tied Ray's race discrimination ideas to present day Nevada and Bundy's latest quotes.

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” he said. Mr. Bundy recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

Continue reading the main story
“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

RaySouthwell 04/24/14 - 08:23 am
Raoulduke

I suppose we could quibble whether the feds occupy 70% of Alaska or 60%. I show you my documentation and you do not. I give in, to your opinion, it is only 60%. But there are deeper questions. What does the Constitution say about land ownership of a State and Territory. Once a Territory becomes a State does land ownership transfer to the State/People as those east cost States have in the past? And why does Texas only have 2% of their land occupied by the feds?

Some years back I picked up the business card of the local IRS agent.(now retired) His card clearly stated he worked in the "Alaskan Territory." Perhaps that bests explains how the feds see Alaska, not as a State with equal Rights to other States but a second class state.

I repost the documentation of the Constitutional difference between a State and Territory. The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land. I just wish the feds would follow it.

RaySouthwell 04/24/14 - 08:38 am
Former Shoshone Chief

The militia throughout the nation are discussing the Nevada land ownership situation. Yesterday this article was posted. A Native American stood up to the feds back in 2002. He lost and his cattle were stolen. Now 84 years old, the feds are taking 15% of his Social Security checks. Fines and penalties must be paid.

He believes the federal government should abide by the treaties between his people and the government. Much like Bundy who believes the government should abide by the Constitution.

Like most people today few care whether the federal government abide by any treaty with Native Americans or the Constitution.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/24/14 - 12:31 pm
State ownership

Fact Sheet: Alaska Department of Natural Resources
Division of Mining,Land,and Water
Latest Census March 200
Land Ownership in Alaska
check it out.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/24/14 - 03:50 pm
Plain English

Reading plain English.Then reading a self contraction in the next paragraph. May make sense to you ,but it does not work for me .Referring to the benswann.com/ lofti. Can not buy into this dribble.

RaySouthwell 04/25/14 - 07:02 am
Personal attacks

When one no longer can attack the principle argument, revert to personal attacks. Bullies use it often on the playground, workplace and government. I have experienced the process from a previous employer and our government. Schaeffer Cox felt the same from government and now it is Bundy's turn. Isolate the target and then take them out. An American Cleric named Anwar al-Awlaki also understands. That time, once he was isolated a drone took him out and then his 16 year old, Denver born, son. People do not care. The Government said it was OK along with the federal court system. Aint justice in the USA great.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 04/25/14 - 09:43 pm
Justice

Mr.Blackwell-When one does not care for the Justice system of this country.I would dare one to find a better one to live under.FREEDOM of Speech,FREEDOM to worship any religion,FREEDOM to bear arms. I could go on,but I believe.Your mindset could not,or will not grasp my thought. I think.This Bundy fellow using the BLM lands for decades for grazing his livestock to make a profit for HIS cattle ranch.He is also stealing from his neighbors by doing so.Mr.Bundy is NO American hero,or a Patriot as some fringe elements have inferred.The BLM should confiscate his cattle for back payment.I consider him a deadbeat,and a thief.Shaeffer Cox has been convicted of CONSPIRACY to COMMIT MURDER of FEDERAL OFFICIALS.I see no principled individual in either of them.Maybe these are your type of HEROES.Which leads me to believe.How great of a degree of which you are misguided."To defend against all enemies FOREIGN,and DOMESTIC". A portion of the oath taken by many PATRIOTS.

RaySouthwell 04/26/14 - 07:15 am
Full circle

Looks like we have made it full circle. I consider the Constitution, the Supreme Law of the land and you do not. You expect me to leave the country because you believe government is your parent and we must obey the orders from government and ignore their bad behavior. The benefits out way any abusive behavior. I believe, government is the child and the people are the parents, we created the government. The people are responsible for its behavior. The world is turning their backs on us and will make us pay for ignoring our governments bad behavior.Probably a world war in the end. Governments, like ours, refuse to give up power easily.

When my Daughter-in law received her naval commission twenty years ago, I was there. I heard the presiding officer tell her she was not taking an oath to any individual or government but an oath to "defend and support the Constitution." Today, that concept has grown in a movement called "Oath Keepers." I am sure just another fringe group, in your mind. Another minority to be ignored. Our government has ignored minorities over the years. Just lock them all up.

Suss
Suss 04/26/14 - 02:51 pm
Faketriot Bundy

This whole mess is a contrived and twisted story of a man that decided to not pay his bills. Sort of like not paying taxes, because the debt is owed to the U.S. Government. The media is just having fun, the supporters were having fun and even old Cliven was enjoying the spotlight. Now the party is winding down.

There will be the next big show somewhere soon. Scream loud, scream often and the TV truck will make you famous.

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 04/26/14 - 07:06 pm
Hello!

Can someone please go and check Mr. Southwell's med supply! I think he must be completely off of his dementia and Alzheimer's drugs but found a readily available supply of crack! Please leave this country before the next big one starts up since friendly fire would take you out in the first few minutes.
This is not meant to be a treat just an observation!

RaySouthwell 04/27/14 - 07:29 am
Another fringe group

Here is another logical discussion surrounding the federal land ownership from the Tenth Amendment Center.

Here is the link to the above authors published legal thoughts from 2005. Published in the "University of Colorado Law Review."

It still does not explain why Alaska has 60-70% of our land occupied by the feds and Texas has only 2%.

But who wants to talk Constitution and logic? Just drug those who do and lock them all up.

rickoxstien
rickoxstien 04/28/14 - 06:49 pm
The Last Racist State

Alaska by its politics and racism belittles itself

leewaytooo
leewaytooo 04/29/14 - 03:23 am
the bedbug's

the bedbug's daughter..........does it pay it's taxes???

in support of that "oath"...

could not have possibly helped her career with everyone

knowing her connections.........

RaySouthwell 04/29/14 - 08:00 am
Now I understand

Now I understand. As stated above-"Alaska by its politics and racism belittles itself."

Alaska cannot be trusted so the feds must control 70% of our land. Texas on the other hand has better "politics" and less "racism" and so the feds only control 2% of their land.

I have seen no other post to help me understand. Can anybody tell me any other reason.

Here is a video of our Representative Don Young asking a Texan why Alaska is not to be trusted. But, Young does not ask the question as to why Texas has control of their land and Alaska does not. The Texan on the video happens to be from Houston, the oil capital of the world.

KenaiKardinal88
KenaiKardinal88 05/01/14 - 03:00 pm
Less Federal Over-Reach - Get Rid of Obama and Begich

The IRS and BLM have been weaponized by the liberal in the White House and Congress. It's time for the liberal media to quit shilling for the Dems.