• Overcast
    Overcast

Similarities in Ukraine, U.S.

Posted: May 16, 2014 - 8:29am

I stay abreast on world events. Because mainstream media parrots Washington, D.C., I look to alternative media sources. I watched an excellent discussion on the issues surrounding the Ukrainian crisis. Stephen Cohen, professor emeritus of Russian studies at New York University and at Princeton University spoke on “Democracy Now” (May 12, 2014).

He clearly understands the dilemma facing the people of eastern Ukraine — sovereignty and self-determination. But Kiev wants to force their domination on the people of the east, calling those who support self-determination terrorists and extremists and moving the military into eastern communities.

Sound familiar? Washington, D.C., forces their dominance on the people of the western United States including Alaska. And what are those people called who support such archaic rights codified in the Second, Ninth and Tenth Amendments — extremists, terrorists.

It wasn’t until economic disintegration that the real issues came to a head in Ukraine. Government in Washington understands, giving great monetary benefits to us Alaskans. What better way to appease the majority in the great State of Alaska. The benefits outweigh any of the dictates or inequality imposed by Washington.

How long will we stay quiet about the inequality of the several states? As long as the dollar remains king. With the dollar’s death, we will become like Ukraine. The United States will become further divided and our government will send in the troops to quell those who dare to demand sovereignty and self-determination.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/16/14 - 09:47 am
Carver
Carver 05/26/14 - 07:27 am
The sky is falling . . the sky is falling . . the sky is falling

Honestly, Ray, between you and Norm . . . doom and gloom and gloom and doom and doom and gloom . . ad nauseam . .

Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong?

Lighten up . . go read Ecclesiastes . .

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/26/14 - 08:37 am
You are correct

I keep telling my wife Faith, this is my last letter. Nobody is listening. She just laughs at me. She knows me better than I do. Then I read something that brings back a spark to write another letter.

Perhaps it is my concern for people. I worked in healthcare for over 40 years. I care about people. Understanding human nature of “Normalcy Bias”, I attempt to shake people up.

It is no different than the “ad nauseam” ads about smoking and second hand smoke. People need to understand the dangers of our destructive behavior. Whether it is from Bullying, smoking or false sense of financial security.

And it matters little if the destructive behavior is demonstrated by the individual, corporation or government. We all need to understand cause and effect at all levels of destructive behavior.

Carver
Carver 05/26/14 - 09:35 am
Destructive behavior . . ?

Ray, you and Norm have your beliefs, and your beliefs define your facts. "Destructive behavior" is in the mind of the believer . . go look in the mirror.

And read Ecclesiastes . .

Carver
Carver 05/26/14 - 01:19 pm
Oh, yes, they are . . .

"I keep telling my wife Faith, this is my last letter. Nobody is listening. . ."
**************************

Ray, don't flatter yourself. People ARE listening.

They just ain't buying . .

Best wishes, & Happy Memorial Day . .

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/27/14 - 07:48 am
My beliefs

Please explain what my beliefs are. Have I ever shared them with you? Rather. I share facts and you do not demonstrate any rebuttal. Even though the fact of smoking is destructive behavior, people ignore the fact. Apparently people do not buy into the idea so they are bombarded with the facts. I suppose I could talk about global warming but it all ties into our failed economic system that people do not want to talk about.

In the 1950's my Grandma understood the problems with second hand smoke. Grandpa was never allowed to smoke in the house when we visited. Can you ever imagine an individual who recognized the destructive behavior of second hand smoke so long ago.

Carver
Carver 05/27/14 - 08:39 am
You believe you understand what it is you think I said . . .

"Please explain what my beliefs are. . . . I share facts . ."
*******************

We all share what our beliefs define as "facts." Nothing more.

What is "fact" to you and Norm is obviously not "fact" to the majority.

Relax . . . go smoke a good cigar . . outdoors of course . . .

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/27/14 - 08:49 am
You bet Carver

Got it. Smoking is a good thing.

Carver
Carver 05/27/14 - 09:28 am
Just be like Bill . .

Just don't inhale, Ray . .

"Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a space;
In the soft blue veil of the vapour musing on Maggie's face.

Maggie is pretty to look at - Maggie's a loving lass,
But the prettiest cheeks must wrinkle, the truest of loves must pass.

There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay;
But the best cigar in an hour is finished and thrown away -

Thrown away for another as perfect and ripe and brown -
But I could not throw away Maggie for fear o' the talk o' the town!

Maggie, my wife at fifty - grey and dour and old -
With never another Maggie to purchase for love or gold!

And the light of Days that have Been the dark of the Days that Are,
And Love's torch stinking and stale, like the butt of a dead cigar -

The butt of a dead cigar you are bound to keep in your pocket -
With never a new one to light tho' it's charred and black to the socket!

Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a while.
Here is a mild Manila - there is a wifely smile.

Which is the better portion - bondage bought with a ring,
Or a harem of dusky beauties, fifty tied in a string?

Counsellors cunning and silent - comforters true and tried,
And never a one of the fifty to sneer at a rival bride?

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close,

This will the fifty give me, asking nought in return,
With only a Suttee's passion - to do their duty and burn.

This will the fifty give me. When they are spent and dead,
Five times other fifties shall be my servants instead."

—Rudyard Kipling

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/27/14 - 10:17 am
Breathing is a goods thing

How can you breathe and not inhale? I always wonder that with Bill.

As is stated above-"Maggie is pretty to look at - Maggie's a loving lass,
But the prettiest cheeks must wrinkle, the truest of loves must pass."

I have no facts revolving around Maggie but I do have a fact on my dear old Maggie called Faith.

My mother once told me people never "fall in love." They "fall in lust." Love comes later.

My dear old Faith is just as pretty as the day I married her. After 43 years my love is stronger than ever. Now in my 60's I see her the same as I did long ago. And the passion remains.

Perhaps I have not lived long enough to appreciate a good cigar because my love for Faith, has so far, not past.

Carver
Carver 05/27/14 - 10:23 am
Floundering . .

You're floundering, Ray . . get back on topic:

The only similarities I see between the United States and Ukraine is that both nations are host to fringe elements running around with guns, advocating armed resistance to legal, governmental authority.

Take a deep breath . . and calm down . .

Best wishes . .

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/27/14 - 10:53 am
cool, staying calm

Now you are talking. When economies falter armed resistance rises. Ukraine is just one such nation. There are many nations across the planet going through the same. Should I list them? Here in the US, resistance is just being prepared. "Governmental authority" wisely stepped back from the situation in Nevada. But not to worry, "governmental authority" will keep us well fed and entertained. But at what price and for how long?

Is the USA immune to economic truths that other nations must and are facing?

Oh, thanks for getting me back on topic.

Carver
Carver 05/27/14 - 11:37 am
Spooky . . scary . . very scary . . .

" When economies falter armed resistance rises. . . Here in the US, resistance is just being prepared. . ."
*****************

Are you part of that "armed resistance" that is "just being prepared"?

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/27/14 - 12:45 pm
Too old

I am too old to fight anything or anybody. I am however, still being a productive person by growing food. Whatever the future is, I have abilities that others will want and need. So, whatever government structure is maintained, I believe I will provide what is needed. So sad that so many believe money will get them what they want and need.

Ignorance is what's so scary.

Carver
Carver 05/27/14 - 03:02 pm
"Ignorance is what's so

"Ignorance is what's so scary."
*******************

Ignorance is curable, Ray, stupidity is not.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it."
—Pope John Paul II

cheapersmokes
cheapersmokes 05/30/14 - 12:58 am
Ukraine!

Ray is spot on this topic also but most of much prefer to bury our head and listen to our politicians state all is rosy and only getting even better.

I have seen and even read many articles and emails about the coming soon financial crisis and most of the authors are stating start growing your own food and make sure you have guns and ammunition for when those that didn't plan come to steal from you just so they can get something for free. Look around you folks, those who collect a government check and also food stamps will be the first to be cut off. Never worry if you're a politician they will always find the money to pay themselves and those on political pensions. Just imagine when unemployment, pensions like Social Security and military pensions no longer come as promised.....are you going to continue to belief all is just fine? No more government aid being pumped in the economy and even the military not getting paid any more.

This is not that far fetched since how much longer will we have buyer's of our enormous government debt that is now rapidly escalating to 18 trillion dollars.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/28/14 - 06:06 am
Where we differ

Agreed. Ignorance is curable. I believe no one is really stupid. That is why I continue to attempt dialog.

Obama is not an idiot but agree he is empty headed. I see him as "hollow man." Not understanding fully world events and his desire to be a great President. Manipulated by those in power.

The money supply will not be shut off. My entitlement check will continue. Its purchasing power will diminish as the world turns its back on the almighty dollar.

RaySouthwell
RaySouthwell 05/30/14 - 07:17 am
More alternative news

Here is another excellent explanation on the Ukrainian situation from another source. And remember what our President told the West Point Cadets,

"First, let me repeat a principle I put forward at the outset of my presidency: the United States will use military force, unilaterally if necessary, when our core interests demand it – when our people are threatened; when our livelihood is at stake;. . . "

That principle is based on economic might of the US dollar.

Suss
Suss 05/29/14 - 04:33 pm
Kevin Homeland Security

Somebody should be getting a knock on the door from DHS and a checkup from the neck up.

Strange statements deserve scrutiny, I hope sooner than later.

Norseman 05/29/14 - 08:20 pm
cheapersmokes, I hope you get

cheapersmokes, I hope you get a visit from the secret service for your ignorant comment.