Roundabout not so bad

Posted: June 16, 2014 - 1:25pm  |  Updated: June 17, 2014 - 8:51am

I have to admit, I had a lot of trepidation about whether the new Binkley roundabout would work. My word — smooth as silk although I haven’t been there during peak traffic time.

Having moved down from Los Anchorage last year I have become accustomed to these little circles of consternation or delight. Allow me to offer a couple tips:

The round-a-bout is a bit like a ballet or maybe more like a waltz. It is not stop-go, stop-go unless folks are doing it wrong. It’s more like pause-go, pause-go. The circle is controlled by yield signs. Pause at the yield sign to let the car on the next entrance to your right in ahead of you. As soon as the car on the right moves into the circle you pull in behind it and follow it around to your exit. Please don’t stop in the circle to let someone in. If you stop the entire circle looses its rhythm and someone might get rear-ended.

People who think they are special and coming through the roundabout at high speeds, ignoring yield signs and forcing others to stop: the idea is to keep traffic moving. I urge folks to take license plate numbers of bullies, not just at intersections but anywhere they violate a law or cause a reckless situations.

Go gently around, yield and merge

Go gently around, surpressing the urge

to get there first!

jford
1909
jford 06/17/14 - 05:45 pm
What? Pause at the sign and then yield to the car on your right?

I hope you're not traversing through these roundabouts in a clockwise direction.

Wait, are you telling me that these roundabouts Soldotna is building are to be traversed in a clockwise manner?

I admit I haven't been through one in Soldotna, but I've been through plenty of roundabouts. In any normal roundabout, you yield to the car on the right and then pull in behind it, and you'll soon be causing a wreck.

If these are normal roundabouts, you yield to cars on your left. You traverse them in a counterclockwise manner.

Telling people to yield to the car on the right is about as backwards as any advice can be.

If you're not yielding to the car on your left, you're going to cause a wreck. You're going to cause a whole bunch of wrecks.

If this is any indication of how some people are going to behave in the roundabouts it'd be best avoid them altogether.

And if they did somehow build them to go around clockwise, ...because Soldotna, well, still I'd avoid them too.

Suss
Suss 06/21/14 - 08:55 am
Simple Roundabout Rules

Driving single-lane roundabouts
As you approach a roundabout, you will see a yellow "roundabout ahead" sign with an advisory speed limit for the roundabout.

Slow down as you approach the roundabout, and watch for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Continue toward the roundabout and look to your left as you near the yield sign and dashed yield line at the entrance to the roundabout. Yield to traffic already in the roundabout.

Once you see a gap in traffic, enter the circle and proceed to your exit. If there is no traffic in the roundabout, you may enter without yielding.

Look for pedestrians and use your turn signal before you exit, and make sure to stay in your lane as you navigate the roundabout.

Washington State Department of Transportation

More Roundabout info.......

www.alaskaroundabouts.com/Dowling/index.htm#2

borninak
borninak 06/17/14 - 08:57 pm
Thanks for correcting

Thankfully Suss and Jford know how to navigate a traffic circle correctly. Hopefully most people do because the author of this letter is clueless. Its real simple, yield to cars already in the circle,(they will be coming from your left in a counter clockwise direction) then get in the circle and get out. Once your in the circle you are not yielding to anyone unless you must to avoid an accident. I don't think it will be a problem as it is a low speed circle and it was built perfectly.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 06/18/14 - 01:55 am
right on red

In this state you can go right on red at a stoplight making it for all intents and purposes a yield sign for the right lane,that's where I think the turning right idea could have come from.
In Arizona and California you go counter clockwise on a roundabout.I've used them other places in the USA and all of the roundabouts here that I've used you yield to the car in the circle on the left and turn right,(counter clockwise).
As a matter of fact the only place I've used a roundabout that went clockwise were the ones in New Zealand, but they drive on the other side of the road there .
I really don't think it matters as long as everybody are doing the same thing.

leewaytooo
leewaytooo 06/18/14 - 06:50 pm

if you are going to copy/paste at least use quotation marks.

or a link.

jford
1909
jford 06/18/14 - 10:17 pm
Turning right on red is not at all comparable to a yield.

When you come to a red light you must stop.

When you come to a yield sign, you do not have to stop if you don't have to yield.

The two aren't at all comparable.

And no, that doesn't explain the erroneous information offered in the letter, when stopping on red and turning right, you don't yield to cars on the right.

Suss
Suss 06/18/14 - 11:41 pm
Missed a link

Lazy me, missed a link. Will try harder. Did link further info.

Good catch.

I do like me some links.

Watch for those bicycles. They sneak up on you with stealth from every direction.

Most bicyclist are cool but some know no rules.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 06/20/14 - 11:17 am
@jford

I also missed what the piece said,of course you yield to the car coming at you not the one going away from you.Sorry I was wrong.
As far as right on red ,when I said "for all intents and pour poses" what I was trying to say is the way it is in real life.The law says you should stop on a red light before you can make the turn and if you always do ,even if there isn't a car in sight,then I applaud you,you are a fine upstanding citizen,but in real life a lot of people just kind of slow down and if there are no cars that are a danger to them go, just like a yield.I've seen cops do it. It's one of those laws that are loosely enforced. Like even if you do come to a complete stop but any part of your car is across the first white line of the pedestrian crossing,even by an inch,you have legally run that red light,or you are doing 45 in a 55 and have a dozen cars behind you and don't pull over and let them pass (I really do wish they would enforce that one, especially on K-beach or anywhere there are double yellow lines for a long stretch),or doing 58 in a 55.
But that point is moot ,I missed what the piece said and then misread what you were trying to say,again,my apologies.

jford
1909
jford 06/20/14 - 10:15 pm
Because some few might ignore the law,

doesn't mean, for all intents and purposes, that everyone can or even should also ignore the law.

Don Young ignores the law, I have a feeling if I or you ignore the law, the consequences likely would be far different for you or I compared to Don Young's ability to avoid prosecution.

We are supposed to live by the rule of law in this country, but that's a myth. Wealth, class, and status divides us all.

Still, I don't recommend ignoring the stop on red law and treating a red light, (for all intents and purposes), like a yield sign. Unless maybe you're a Congressman, or such.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 06/21/14 - 11:27 am
I commend you for being the

I commend you for being the perfect citizen that has never broken a single law in his entire life. My hat is off to to you sir.

jford
1909
jford 06/21/14 - 04:47 pm
Ah,

…I see you've reached the limit of your expansive wit.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 06/21/14 - 07:21 pm
And I see you have none

And I see you have none.
I also see you can't accept an apology or an admission that I was wrong.A statement as to your character. Must be nice to never make a mistake.
I live in the real world . I didn't say it's right I just said it is.
As you stated yourself "We are supposed to live by the rule of law in this country, but that's a myth"At some intersections it's more than "some few" that treat right on red as a yield ,it's several cars in a row without break and none of them are Don Young.As I stated before some of them are even law enforcement officers.
If you want an example watch the intersection of Spur highway and Bridge Access at rush hour,watch it go through a cycle or two. I'm done with this conversation it's obvious we don't agree, so insult me again if you want. I don't care.

jford
1909
jford 06/21/14 - 08:00 pm
It was a rhetorical statement,

it was your choice that provided the confirmation.

There's a cure for that thin skin.

But if a heightened state of anxiety is your preference, by all means carry on.

Just don't expect I'll be sharing your anxiety.

jlmh
jlmh 06/22/14 - 02:09 pm
I actually liked this letter,

I actually liked this letter, and I like the roundabout. It was very accurate, except the part of about yielding to the left (which I assume was a typo the Clarion should have caught before publication).