• Broken clouds
    Broken clouds

Fun fishing versus tradition

Posted: August 7, 2014 - 5:48pm  |  Updated: August 8, 2014 - 7:52am

The Cook Inlet Caucus, Kenai River Fishing Inc., Kenai River Sportfishing Association, Alaska Fisheries Conservation Alliance, what’s the difference? Bob Penney, Bob Penney, Bob Penney, Clark Penney. I got it! So it is sport and fun and the Kenai Classic versus culture, tradition, and heritage. When bait is used for silvers during the Kenai Classic, king salmon will be caught and killed.

One more quick point since it is an election year. Mayor Navarre recently vetoed the bed tax. The borough subsidies the Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council to the tune of $300,000 a year. As a commercial fishermen, and perhaps some others might risk agreeing with me, I say, “Gimme some of that!” Seward and Homer are always top ports for halibut and black cod deliveries. The salmon fishery, in spite of the dipnetting, employees thousands and supports many local family businesses, I’m just saying Mr. Mayor.

spybot
spybot 08/08/14 - 08:10 am
Gimme Gimme Gimme

Commercial fisheries and sport fisheries in Alaska each contribute between $120 - $150 million in state and local tax revenues.

Commercial fisheries harvest 98.2 percent of all fish harvested in Alaska while sport fisheries harvest .2 percent, and personal use / subsistence harvest the remainder.

That means commercial fisheries in Alaska harvest about 500 times more fish than sport fisheries, yet sport fisheries in Alaska generate a similar amount of state and local tax revenues.

Gimme, Gimme Gimme.

I guess Mr. McCombs is quite happy with this situation.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 08/08/14 - 09:05 am
Subsidizing

Unlike the farmer who prepares the ground for seed,fertilizes to nurture.Then hopes the WEATHER is on the farmers side.So! The farmer can have a good harvest. The commercial fisheries do none of the above,except harvest. "Uncle Ted" made it all possible for the commercial fishery to fair a great deal better than the farmer. Quit whining!

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 08/08/14 - 02:46 pm
Are you saying

Are you saying we should subsidize fishermen not to fish for certain fish like we subsidize farmers not to grow certain crops?
It would fit in the farm bill a lot better than some of the crap they put in there.
Both feed the COUNTRY ,not an elite few.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 08/08/14 - 03:32 pm
Just saying

The Commercial fishery harvests.Does not prepare the ground, seed,fertilize,and is not truly dependent on the weather.

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 08/08/14 - 05:44 pm
disagree

What about no till farming?What about fish hatcheries?What about to much fertilizer acidifying water aquifers and causing algae blooms? The weather?You're kidding ,right?
By the way my dad's family were all farmers until WWII and many of them still are. I have often thought how similar they are to commercial fishermen.The real difference is if you have livestock,especially cattle,then it is a hard 365 day a year job with no vacation.
Neither pay social security so the only way to retirement is to sell assets. Before WWII, in my family, there was no such thing as retirement.Even if they were in their 70's or 80's they did something until they were bed ridden.
A person can't make a living off a small farm like that anymore they have to lease other small farms land too.
Hence Monsanto,lobbyists and subsidies.

Raoulduke
Raoulduke 08/09/14 - 07:47 am
disagree

O.K.! Fish farms,it takes 5 pounds of bait fish to have a farm raised fish gain 1 pound.I believe. This is a waste of a resource. When all is done.The Commercial fishery just harvests.The lack of replenishment of the resource.Rationally one would think.Would cause its decline.Don't you agree.Speaking of water tables how about FRACKING?Yes! No I am not kidding.Ask any farmer this question. Just how important is the weather to your farming operation?You will hear a resounding."You have got to be kidding me with such a question". Thinking weather is not important to a farmer.You're kidding right?

beaverlooper
beaverlooper 08/09/14 - 10:19 am
I was disagreeing

I was disagreeing with your statement about the weather not affecting fishermen . Even in the inlet it does to a point but once you get outside this little puddle it becomes a HUGE factor. Commercial fishing is the most dangerous job in America,mostly because of weather.
I worked on St.Paul in the Pribilofs for 6 months on a job for the native association and every time there was even a hint of a storm coming you should have seen all of the boats on the lee side of the island. There was a processor that had beached and buoys everywhere symbolizing lost pots , etc.
As I said I have said a large part of my family were and are farmers so I agree 110% with you on the weathers affect on them.
I wasn't talking about fish farms ,I think they should be outlawed, along with trawlers.I was talking about hatcheries although they are the result ,generally, of a poorly managed fishery.A fishery managed by science and not politics is self sustaining. Like the grasses on the Great Plains when the great herds of buffalo were there, they fertilize them selves.