Gun control begins at home

Posted: February 7, 2013 - 4:45pm

Predictably, the massacre of 20 first-graders and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December has started a battle for more gun-control laws.

Since the mass shooting, the most common lament has been on the order of “Something has to be done.” As President Obama puts it on his whitehouse.gov website, “If there is even one step we can take to save another child, or another parent, or another town, from the grief that has visited Tucson, and Aurora, and Oak Creek, and Newtown, and communities from Columbine to Blacksburg before that, then surely we have an obligation to try.”

OK, but try what?

I fear that a lot of effort and money will be spent in proposing and opposing more laws. History has shown that “more laws” will probably do little or nothing to reduce the number or seriousness of mass shootings.

Like everyone else, I’m sickened by the mass shootings. Yet, I feel helpless to do anything about it, other than to say that something has to be done. In my frustration, I turn to my government for help. I learn from the President’s website that he would:

“Require background checks for all gun sales.

Strengthen the background check system for gun sales.

Pass a new, stronger ban on assault weapons.

Limit ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

Finish the job of getting armor-piercing bullets off the streets.

Give law-enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.

End the freeze on gun violence research.

Make our schools safer with new resource officers and counselors, better emergency response plans, and more nurturing school climates.

Ensure quality coverage of mental health treatment, particularly for young people.”

Some of these ideas may have merit. Congress might tweak a couple of laws that help reduce the number of mass shootings, but I don’t expect it to cure what’s wrong with America. I don’t know what that will take, but I believe that guns are only a symptom, not a cause for what’s really wrong.

Lots of people think guns are the problem. If we gun owners want to be able to continue to buy guns and ammunition, we have to convince as least some of these people that we’re smart enough and responsible enough to be trusted with our guns. In other words, we need to get their respect, and that’s going to require some homework.

We Americans love our guns. In 1968, only every other American had one. Now there are more guns in the U.S. than people. Alaska probably has the highest number of guns per capita of anywhere on earth.

The conduct and attitudes of some gun owners are appalling. The in-your-face cowboys who openly pack heat on their hips in public do no one any good. Too many adults carelessly leave firearms where young children can get their hands on them. More Hunter Education and gun safety classes are being taught than ever before, but too many gun owners have never been to a class, and some who have don’t act as if they learned much.

Gun shows deserve some heat for making gun owners look bad. On one Saturday in January, at gun shows in three different states, five people were wounded by gunfire. Coincidentally, it was “National Gun Appreciation Day,” a day on which gun-rights supporters around the country were rallying, carrying signs saying, “Stop the Gun Grabbers.” All major news broadcasters reported these “accidents,” two of which were caused by guns that were supposedly unloaded. How do you think that made gun-supporters look? It’s enough to make you wish that Congress could make it illegal for lazy, stupid and careless people to possess firearms.

Some people who have firearms end up shooting themselves or another family member with a gun meant for “defense.” Guns for defense are useful only when loaded and within reach, which can make it problematical to have young children or visitors in the house. A gun that you’re staking your life upon has to be cleaned and properly cared for, and it’s owner should be trained in home defense and proficient with the firearm. To be justified in shooting either an animal or a human in defense, the gun owner must know and abide by the laws. There’s far more to having a gun for home defense than just passing a background check.

If we can’t show that we can safely and responsibly handle firearms, we can expect an escalating war against guns. It’s difficult to convince someone of how important it is for you to own a gun when you’ve just shot yourself in the foot.

Les Palmer can be reached at les.palmer@rocketmail.com.

BigRedDog
BigRedDog 02/11/13 - 10:19 pm
The first steps

Les let me tell you what the Night Live Fire Range Officer of Ft. Ord California teaches about the second Amendment. It's close to the end of AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) when you take the late evening 4 mile march to the Range. We were told by our Company's First Sargent "The RO would like to tell you something about the 2nd after the live fire." Those old bleachers swayed when he said lite it up! The knee jerk of 250 very impressed trainees moved it everytime.
Just 2 M-60s belt fed Machine guns joined by 6 M-16s and 2 M-79 grenade launchers. In 2 short minutes they convinced everyone in those bleachers that you did not want to be in front of such a barrage. Then the popping sound of the speaker gets your attention leaving you to wander just what pearl of wisdom the RO has after that.
Gentlemen the 2nd Amendment is the only thing that guarantees you won't have to face such a barrage as this armed with your Dad's old 06 or 12 ga shotgun. Russian soldiers marched over 2 million peasants between them and the advancing German Army. Reduced the number of bullets they had when the fighting really started.
Gentlemen our Armies (Heaven forbid) could lay crushed on a distant shore and the 2nd Amendment is the only thing that prevails to keep America Free! Les I can only say it will be a very COLD day when any of us in those bleachers will look kindly on ANYONE that makes it his business to disarm the citizens and veterans of this great country. God Bless America.

BigRedDog
BigRedDog 02/11/13 - 10:20 pm
The first steps

Norseman 02/12/13 - 08:09 am
Where are you getting this

Where are you getting this crazy lie about totally disarming our citizens? Faux news? Rush "the drug addict" limburger?

No where in the 23 executive orders does it state anything at all about disarming anyone.

I served in the US Army during the Viet Nam war. I know full well of our military might and firepower. I also own many weapons and am not one bit worried about anyone "grabbing my guns."

However, I do not own a M60 machinegun, or M79 grenade launcher. I believe that civilans should not possess military grade weapons. With that mentality, soon you will see a weapons race between neighbors.

If someone attempts to invade my home, I have plenty of firepower to make sure they leave in a body bag. I do not feel that having 30 round clips, or military assault weapons is necessary to protect myself or family.

I wish people would quit spreading the lies of totally disarming Joe Q public. That isn't the issue here, never was, and never will be. Americans will always have the right to keep and bear arms, just what type is at discussion. I for one do not want to see my neighbors armed with rocket launchers, F 16's, M2A1's, M50's, grenades, etc.

jjtongen
jjtongen 02/14/13 - 09:23 pm
BigRedDog writes in riddles

(AIT) is Advanced Individual Training, not Advanced Infantry Training as it applies to military training. BigRedDog writes in riddles and obviously has limited knowledge of the military.

Suss
Suss 02/14/13 - 11:54 pm
AIT

After you complete Basic Combat Training, you're ready for the next step. Advanced Individual Training (AIT) is where you will learn the skills to perform your Army job. BigRedDog was National Guard (Weekend Warriors) during the Viet Nam war. Age has its limitations on memory. Those were stressful years when the draft was grabbing up everyone they could, yet the National Guard then, was not being activated to go into combat like they have been during our current wars.

BigRedDog
BigRedDog 02/15/13 - 06:38 am
Yes limited, thank God

I was not in the NG for very long after Basic and AIT. About 1 1/2 yr later I tore my left fibula out of socket and tore my left ACL in a motor cycle spin out. Knee surgery wasn't othroscopic back then. After I recovered from surgery suddenly the Viet Nam War ended. I was given an appointment at Elmendorf Hos. to check my knee. The Doc said " Look soldier that knee may get better but right now it's toast! I have 50 to 100 guys coming back from Viet Nam who want your job. You put forth a good effort but your to big for your buddies to carry when you blow out that knee. So I think it's time to discharge you from service and I'm profiling you out right now unless you want to go back for a different MOS or a different Advanced Individual Training."
The Doc said we will have a huge over abundance troops now that Viet Nam has ended. And looking around the hallway was other guys with varying degrees of medical problems and I think that's what the good Dr was doing that day. Cleaning the ranks of soldiers at home to make room for returning troops. The down point for you will be No GI benifits going forward, I was never worried about the GI Bill anyway and signed the form.
But I'll still guarantee you that today every trainee in those bleachers that night feels they have a very real understanding of just what the 2nd means to them and America. It's kind of like talking religion or politics, that Range Officer cannonized his thoughts into the fiber of those troops. You would have a very difficult time talking anyone that was on those bleachers into giving up anything they think would help them survive the carnage displayed downrange.
I agree that the most citizens don't need an M60, but with proper license and storage it can be legal. What we are faced with in Obamerica is a nation writing laws needed to control mass populations in the 50 major metropolitan areas of the US. where 67%of the gun crimes happen. There is where Obama got he votes that got him re-elected. And the areas of our nation most plagued with gun violence are under Democratic leadership, yes they have long been controlled by the Democratic Party. You see areas controlled by the Republican party have much fewer gun crimes, gee I wonder why?

Norseman 02/15/13 - 08:37 am
>>>>You see areas controlled

>>>>You see areas controlled by the Republican party have much fewer gun crimes, gee I wonder why? <<<<<<

Are you daft? Where on earth do you come up with this nonsense? There is absolutely nothing out there to substaniate your absurd claim.

Just because you "thunk" it, doesn't make it a fact, or even close to one.

Criminals could care less on what politcal district they belong to. sheesh.....

That is why hot topics like this bring out emotions and a lot of ignorance, instead of actual facts. JDBishop has presented many clear and logical facts and data.
It is obvious that no one is going to change his or hers opinion. The least we all can do is stop spreading misinformation and down and out lies.
Speak the truth at least or back up your off the wall claims with reputable sources.

And yes, rush limburger, michael savage, hannity, oreilly, and the other entertainers are NOT reliable sources of info.