Held Saturday, this was the 20th year for the tournament, sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center. More than 700 anglers fishing from 216 vessels — of those vessels six were kayak — entered in the vent, catching 162 salmon. The top 10 anglers included:
• First place, $15,393: Leszek Kuligowski, Anchorage, 35.10-pound king salmon;
• Second place, $10,262: Christopher Hollwedel, Wasilla, 27.35-pound king salmon;
• Third place, $8,063: Jim Morgan, Anchorage, 25.45-pound king salmon;
• Fourth place, $5,864: Rudolph Schoepke, Homer, 24.25-pound king salmon;
• Fifth place, $4,398: Russell Walls, Homer, 23.65-pound king salmon;
• Sixth place, $3,665: Edward Heath, Anchorage, 23.50-pound king salmon
• Seventh place, $2,932: Toras Fisk, Homer, 23.25-pound king salmon;
• Eighth place, $2,199: Shannon Bevegui, Anchorage, 22.00-pound king salmon;
• Ninth place, $1,466: Terry French, Anchorage, 20.80-pound king salmon;
• 10th place, $733: Wylie Donich, Homer, 20.65-pound king salmon.
Third-place winner Morgan took home another $250 for winning the largest white king salmon. This was the first year for that award, sponsored by Café Cups. Donich added to his winnings with the $300 Bill Thompson Youth Award, sponsored by Bay Roamers Water Taxi, for catching the largest king salmon by anglers younger than 18 years.
McKibben Jackinsky can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.