Fire claims Sterling home

Firefighters battle blaze, subzero temperatures

Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007

 

  Firefighters John Perna and Ben Simonds knock down fire in the attic of a home on Scout Lake Loop Road on Tuesday evening. Photo courtesy David LaForest, C

Firefighters John Perna and Ben Simonds knock down fire in the attic of a home on Scout Lake Loop Road on Tuesday evening.

Photo courtesy David LaForest, C

Firefighters endured minus 25-degree temperatures while battling a house fire on East Scout Lake Loop Road in Sterling Tuesday evening. No injuries were reported.

Central Emergency Services received a report of flames shooting out of a well box adjacent to the three-bedroom frame house owned by Kathleen and Dean Kitson approximately one-half mile south of Sterling Elementary School.

The Kitsons and their three sons and one daughter were away at the time, but Kathleen’s sister reportedly was visiting neighbors across the street from the home when she spotted the flames.

CES responded with two fire engines, three tankers, two rescue trucks, one medic vehicle and a total of 35 people either on scene at the fire or called to the fire station on standby, according to Fire Marshal Gary Hale.

He said the fire quickly spread from the well house to the home and moved through the crawl space beneath the 1,800 square-foot structure, but firefighters managed to stop the blaze before it reached firearms and ammunition stored in a bedroom at the opposite end of the house.

The weapons were recovered, but damage to other contents of the home was estimated at $20,000 and Hale said damage to the structure was about $50,000 — a 50 percent loss.

The family cat, a male black long-hair named Cucumber, was not found.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature, Hale said.

The family had experienced problems with the control box in the well house a few months ago, according to Kathleen Kitson.

Hale said the fire was declared out approximately three hours after the first report was received, and two responders were placed on fire watch overnight to assure it would not rekindle. They were relieved from duty at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Phil Hermanek can be reached at phillip.hermanek @peninsulaclarion.com.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS