Close call: 2 charged with intent to kill; victims escape

Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Two men accused of involvement in an incident when someone allegedly entered a Soldotna family's home, set a Teddy bear on fire and stole several items from the home, were arraigned on felony charges this week.

Darrell S. Rogers, 25, was formally charged in Superior court Tuesday afternoon while David J. Kosydar, 23, was formally charged on Jan. 8.

Both men face four unclassified felony counts of intent to cause death, one class B burglary felony and one class A arson felony. They also each face a misdemeanor theft charge.

The alleged victims were present at Rogers' arraignment on Tuesday, but when judge Carl Bauman asked them if they had any comments, they were mum.

Alaska State Trooper Scott Briggs' affidavit says Chad Wilson dialed 911 at 2:52 a.m. on Dec. 31, 2009 claiming that he and his wife, Danielle, woke up to a man standing over their bed.

Wilson said the man was stroking and kissing his wife's face saying, "Everything will be OK," according to the affidavit.

Wilson told Briggs he chased the man out of his home and saw a "light-colored minivan driving away" from the home. Wilson believed two people to be in the vehicle.

When Wilson and his wife came back into their home after chasing the man out, they realized their house was filling with smoke, which they determined was coming from their daughter's bedroom. Sarah Guy, the Wilsons' daughter, was away in Anchorage.

Wilson found flames climbing the walls inside a closet in Guy's bedroom and he told Briggs he put the blaze out with a fire extinguisher. The Wilsons also discovered a second fire in the home's rear entryway. That fire reportedly went out by itself.

Wilson said a bottle of Jim Beam whiskey, four packs of Marlboro 100's, a wood-handled knife with a broken tip, three translucent lighters, $20 and two duffle bags with his daughter's clothes were missing from his house following the incident.

Investigation later that morning revealed a Teddy bear inside Guy's closet had been lit ablaze.

The Wilsons said Rodney Rogers, whom Guy had dated before he died in the summer of 2009 in a car accident, had given Guy the Teddy bear.

That detail prompted the Wilsons and Guy, whom police contacted by phone, to identify Darrell Rogers, Rodney's brother, as a possible suspect. From a photo lineup, the Wilsons identified Rogers as the man who had entered their home.

At about 8:45 a.m., troopers arrived at Darrell Rogers' supposed residence and found Rogers and Kosydar. Troopers discovered a gun that had been reported stolen and four boxes of Marlboro 100's. Later, with the right of a search warrant, police found a partially consumed bottle of Jim Beam and a translucent lighter.

They also found an ID card belonging to the Wilsons' juvenile son inside the red minivan parked in front of the residence.

In an interview, Rogers said he drove a vehicle and stopped near a cul-de-sac on the Wilsons' street when Kosydar got out "to use the restroom." Rogers told Briggs Kosydar was gone approximately seven minutes before getting back in the car and saying, "Let's go."

Kosydar told troopers he had been riding in the red minivan but was intoxicated and did not remember "going anywhere near the victim's residence." Kosydar denied setting anything on fire or stealing anything.

The case is scheduled for trial in Kenai beginning April 19.

Andrew Waite can be reached at

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us