Where to Find Help

Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Phone numbers and Internet sites taxpayers can use to get free tax filing assistance, forms and other information from the Internal Revenue Service:

On the Web

- http://www.irs.gov includes forms, publications, regulations, tax tables, press releases and a host of other information.

By Phone

- For recorded tax information, including status of refunds, call 1 (800) 829-4477.

- For assistance from IRS employees, call 1 (800) 829-1040. This is available in caller's local area 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and Saturdays in filing season from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

- To order free copies of forms and publications via mail, call 1 (800) 829-3676.

- To contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service about unresolved IRS problems, call 1 (877) 777-4778.


- This contains 2,500 federal tax forms, instructions and other resources. It can be purchased through IRS Internet site or by calling 1 (877) CDFORMS (233-6767). Cost is $21 plus $5 handling fee for those who buy through the toll-free phone line.

For Professionals

- Practitioner Priority Service, IRS help for tax preparers, can be reached at 1 (866) 860-4259. It's staffed from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. local time Monday through Friday.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us