Anchorage woman killed in fire identified

Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- The Anchorage Fire Department on Wednesday confirmed that the woman who died early Tuesday when a fire broke out in her living room was Dawn Barbara Grande.

Firefighters found Grande, 42, dead on the couch in her South Anchorage home. The probable cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded cigarette, fire officials said. Preliminary autopsy results indicate that Grande died of smoke and soot inhalation.

Grande was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., said Tom Kempton, a spokesman for the agency. She lived alone and had a pet cat that also perished in the fire.

Until about a year ago, Grande worked for the Federal Aviation Administration as an operations inspector in the flight standards division, an FAA spokeswoman said. Grande's most recent occupation was unavailable.

Her mother and sister were said to be on their way to Anchorage on Wednesday, according to the fire department.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS