Sports Briefs

Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005

PeeWee B squad third at Polar Bear Tourney

The Kenai Peninsula Hockey Association PeeWee B team finished third with a 2-2-21 mark at the Alaska All Stars Polar Bear Tournament last weekend in Anchorage.

The Icehawks opened with a 4-1 loss to the Mat-Su Eagles. Netminder William Granger made 22 saves while Tyler Jensen provided the lone KPHA goal.

The Icehawks bounced back to beat the Alaska All-Stars 6-3. Granger made 21 saves while Jensen scored twice and Brad Duwe, Zack Sonnichsen, Drew Alkire and Eric Johnson added goals. Duwe, Alkire, Johnson, Zack Waters and Brady Perkins netted assists.

The Icehawks played to a 3-3 draw with the Anchorage North Stars. Goalie Keegan Remsen made 16 saves. Alkire, Duwe and Sonnichsen scored — Sonnichsen's came with 2.8 seconds left to play and the Icehawks goalie pulled for an extra skater — while Jensen and Sonnichsen notched assists.

The Fairbanks Arctic Lions defeated the Icehawks 4-1. Granger made 21 saves while Duwe scored, assisted by Perkins.

In the third-place contest, the Icehawks defeated the Anchorage Junior Aces 5-4 in overtime. Remsen picked up the win with 19 saves. Duwe finished with a hat trick, including a goal with 16 seconds to play to send the game to overtime, and the golden goal to win the game in the extra period. Jensen scored twice and Matt Silver, Duwe, Sonnichsen, Alkire, Jenna Redford, Johnson and Jensen picked up assists.

Robbins charged with attempted murder

MIAMI — Former Oakland Raiders center Barret Robbins was charged Wednesday with three counts of attempted felony murder, less than a week after being shot during a furious struggle with three police officers investigating a burglary call.

Robbins is best remembered for missing team meetings the night before the 2003 Super Bowl in San Diego. He was wounded Saturday night after Miami Beach police found him inside a women's restroom in a building housing a pub, a gym and a jewelry store. The pub owner called police after Robbins forced his way inside the building and refused to leave, a police report said.

Robbins, 31, of Englewood, Colo., growled, snarled and ''was heard laughing throughout the attack,'' the report said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us