Area students make dean’s list
· Former Kenai resident Brandon James Ruffridge was named to the dean’s list at Pensacola Christian College. To be named to the list students must have earned a B average or higher.
He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Ruffridge.
· Former Soldotna resident Amanda Weaver was named to the dean’s list at Harding University. She is a junior majoring in management.
· Former Kenai resident Laura H. Rhyner was named to the dean’s list in the School of Education and Social Policy at Northwestern University. To be named to the list students must have a GPA of at least 3.70.
Rhyner is a 2002 graduate of Kenai Central High School.
Scholarship winners announced
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Ladies Auxiliary of the Jerry V. Horn Memorial Post No. 10046 has announced the winners of its area scholarship programs.
The Voices of Democracy scholarship program is a national program designed to allow students in grades nine through 12 to voice their opinion on their responsibilities to the nation.
Ashley M. Earll of Soldotna was the overall first-place winner. She will receive $500. Her entry also has been forwarded to the next round of competition at the state level, where the first-place winner will receive additional awards, plus a five-day, all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C., for the national competition.
Jessica L. Berzanske, also of Soldotna, placed second overall, winning $250.
Other top finishers are: Abigail Chadwick of Kenai, first. She will receive $300; Dillion Ball, also of Kenai, second. He will receive $200; and Riley Bunn of Sterling, third. She will receive $100.
The VFW Ladies Auxiliary also sponsored the Creative Patriotic Arts Program. First place overall winner receives $500, second-place overall winner receives $300 and third-place overall winner receives $150. Additionally first-, second- and third-place winners in each school receives, $100, $75 and $50, respectively.
This year’s winners are:
· Kenai Central High School -- Roberta Blom, Chelaine Rust and Brittany Kiser placed first, second and third, respectively.
· Skyview High School -- Kelsey Skolnick, Brooke Jasky-Zuber and Kirsten Hinz placed first, second and third, respectively.
· Soldotna High School -- Alyssa Giles, Jordan Schneider and Jenniffer Brown placed first, second and third, respectively.
Over all winners were Roberta Blom, Chelaine Rust and Kelsey Skolnick. Roberta’s entry will be forwarded to state judging.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.