Airport shooting report in

No charges filed yet in Homer incident

Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Alaska Department of Law has completed its review of an Alaska State Trooper report on the March 1, 2006 Homer Airport shooting in which fugitive Jason Karlo Anderson died and his son was severely injured.

The Department of Law concluded there could be violations of law related to the shooting.

“Certain facts of the March 2006 shooting may constitute violations of Alaska’s criminal statutes,” department spokes-man Mark Morones said in a statement released Tuesday to the Homer News.

No charges have been filed.

Anderson, 31, was shot at the airport when two U.S. Marshals and four Homer police officers tried to apprehend him on a felony arrest warrant for drug trafficking out of Minnesota. Marshals and police surrounded Anderson while he was in his rental Jeep with his two children in the airport parking lot. Shots were fired by Anderson, marshals and police. Jason Anderson, then 2, was severely injured with a gunshot wound to the head. Anderson’s daughter, Darla Anderson, was not harmed.

The Alaska Medical Examine concluded Anderson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound and said Anderson shot his son. The boy is recovering from his wounds in Minnesota and is in the custody of his mother, Cheryl Dietzmann.

Police and federal officials asked troopers to investigate the shooting. In June, the troopers’ report was sent to the Department of Law for review by its Office of Special Prosecutions and Appeals.

Following a query in December by the Homer News to Gov. Sarah Palin about the status of the OSPA review, Meghan Stapleton, the governor’s press spokeswoman, said earlier this month that Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg told her the trooper report had been sent to the U.S. Attorney.

Morones said in November that representatives from the troopers, OSPA and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Anchorage, met to discuss OSPA’s review.

Because the shooting involved an arrest of a federal fugitive in an operation run by federal marshals, the Department of Law concluded the matter should be referred to the U.S. Department of Justice for its review.

Because the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Anchorage, works closely with the U.S. Marshal’s Office, Anchorage, it was recused from the case, Morones said. The case was assigned to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District, in Seattle to avoid an appearance of a conflict of interest.

That office is reviewing the matter, said Emily Langlie, public affairs officer for the U.S. Attorney.

The Homer Police Department was not aware of the latest developments in the airport shooting and had no comment, said Lt. Randy Rosencrans.

The U.S. Marshal’s Office also wasn’t aware of the trooper report being sent Outside.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us