The following is a list of classes with the Soldotna Community Schools. Classes run today through Saturday. For more information, call Carmen Triana at 262-3151, Ext. 24.
* Artisan bread 101 -- Tasting and discussion come learn artisan bread making for busy people. We will discuss how to incorporate healthy whole grains without spending hours in the kitchen. Participants will sample sour dough, refrigerated dough, and basic whole wheat bread. Tuesday/1 Night/ 6-8 p.m./Teens and Adults / 4 min. and 8 max/ Reel Caf, corner of Sterling Highway and Funny River Road/ $25 (or both classes for $40)
* Artisan bread 102 -- Baking and taking. Come ready to make and take your own creations. Participate in making basic whole wheat bread from start to finish. Participants will also receive instruction in making sour dough starter and refrigerated dough for your own home baking. Free milling of 5 pounds of grain or beans flours per class participant. (Make sure grains and beans are rock free.) Saturday/ 1 Day / 10 a.m.-2 p.m./ Teens and Adults / 4 Min 8 Max / Soldotna Middle School, Home Ec Room / $25 (or both classes for $40)
* Fur skinsewing -- Loraine Larsen, Skinsewer. Will demonstrate hide stretching and teach all the skinsewing techniques and secrets for making trapper and trooper-style fur hats; women's dress band hats; sheepskin slippers with beaver cuffs; baby booties and baby hats; children's beaver mittens and sheepskin trapper-style hats; earmuffs; fur mittens. Supplies for small ornament projects provided. All materials available for sale at class for large projects. Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginning January 26, February 23 (No class on Thursday, February 4) / 6:30-9:30 p.m. / 8 Nights / Teens and Adults / 5 Min and 15 Max / Soldotna Middle School, Art Room / $45.
* Honeybees and beekeeping -- Rosy Thompson. Using the book and video series, "Honey Bees and Beekeeping: A Year in the Life of an Apiary," this class will explore how to keep bees and produce your own honey (Alaska's real "liquid gold"), and pollinate your garden for business or hobby. You will learn how to build and maintain an apiary and have the opportunity to order bees. Handouts and tips on keeping bees in Alaska will be included. Support for beginning beekeepers will be available throughout the season. Tuesdays, Beginning January 26, Ending February 9 / 3 Nights / 6:30-8:30 p.m. / All ages / Soldotna Middle School, Classroom / $15
* Yoga/Pilates --Martina Cartwright and Amy Tovoli, Fitness Instructors. Get ahead of those winter blues and twist them off. This mat Pilates class will combine the core strengthening moves of Pilates and the discipline and postures of yoga. Use breathing techniques, movement strategies and mental focus to strengthen core muscles, improve balance, flexibility, and overall health. This is a great class for all levels of fitness, as well as all shapes, sizes and ages. Bring water, comfortable clothing, a towel and a yoga mat. Wednesdays, ending Feb. 17 / 4 Nights / 6-7 p.m./ Teens and Adults / Soldotna Middle School, Multi Purpose Room / $10/class or $30 for all 4 weeks.
* Touch Rugby -- Rugby is a game loved around the world and is one of the fasted growing team sports in North America. Touch Rugby is a fun, safe way to learn the basics of this energetic and fast paced game. Rugby in Alaska is growing in popularity and the opportunity to start a rugby program on the Kenai Peninsula is here. This class will focus on learning the rules of rugby as well as the general skills needed to play. There is a place on the rugby pitch for people of any fitness level! Whether you are just looking for a fun way to get in shape or you are an old rugger looking to relive your glory days, Touch Rugby is right for you! Session 1: Wednesdays, ending Feb. 17 / 4 Nights / 7-9 p.m. / Men and Women (age 14 and up) / Soldotna Middle School, Gym / $15.
Area pools hours are:
* Kenai Central High School -- 6:30 to 8:30 a.m., Lap Swim -- Monday through Fridays; 9 to 11 a.m. Physical Therapy -- Mondays; 9 to 10:30 a.m. age group swim, Tuesdays-Fridays; 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Open Swim, Monday-Friday; 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. water aerobics Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginning Tuesday.
American Red Cross Level 1 swim lessons will begin Monday and run through Feb. 1 from 5:10 to 5:50 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Registration must be done in advance.
The cost is $4 Lap swim or Open swim, $35 for a punch card/ 10 punches on the card.
For more information, call 283-7476.
* Skyview High School -- Lap swim/water aerobics, Monday through Friday from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m.; and open/lap swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.; Water Aerobics/Independent physical therapy Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; lap swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.; and organized lap swim workout from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Swim lessons begin Feb. 9. Registration begins Monday (because of limited class space pre-registration is recommended.)
For more information, call 262-3905 or 260-2365.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us