Chambers set schedules
· Nikiski Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon today at the Nikiski Community Recreation Center in the multi-purpose room. Kenai Peninsula Borough School District Superintendent Donna Peterson will be the featured speaker. For more information, call Judene Van Cleave at 776-5551. Kathy Lopeman with Central Peninsula Hospital will speak Feb. 8. Her topic will be WOW Run for Women with Cancer.
· The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce will host Steve Jackson, CEO of Era Aviation at noon Tuesday at Froso’s in Soldotna. For more information, call Michelle at 262-9814.
The chamber will hold its 48th annual awards reception at 6:30 p.m. Friday at the Crossing Restaurant. The cost is $35 per person and includes reception and dinner.
· The Kenai Chamber of Commerce will host Shane Horan, Kenai Peninsula Borough Assessor, at noon Wednesday at Paradisos in Kenai. For more information, call Janie at 283-7989.
Health center elects board members
The Central Peninsula Health Centers elected the following officers Jan. 15: Ellen Adlam, chairman; Deric Marcorelle, vice-chairman; Diane Fielden, secretary; and John Mayfield, treasurer. Mitch Michaud was appointed as a member. Michaud is the state staff forester for the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service in Kenai.
Central Peninsula Health Centers targets the under and uninsured residents of the Central Kenai Peninsula by operating Aspen Dental Center and Cottonwood Health Center.
Small business center hosts workshops
The Small Business Development Center will host several small business workshops in February at its center at 43335 Kalifornsky Beach Road, Suite 12:
· Opening the doors to business planning workshop will be held from 2:30 to 5 p.m. Friday. The topics will be how to write a business plan and developing financial projections. The cost is $15 per person.
· A “Start Up” workshop, with Mark Gregory, director of University of Alaska Anchorage Small Business Development Center, will be held from 2:30 to 5 p.m. Feb. 26. Gregory will walk through the basic process of starting a business. There is no cost.
Participants are asked to preregister no later than 4 p.m. one day prior to workshops. For more information or to preregister, call Bunny at 260-5629 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
Youth cooking classes
Pint Size Workshop cooking classes will be held at 10 a.m. Saturdays at Allen and Peterson Cooking and Appliance Center in Kenai. Admission is two cans of food or a $2 donation to the Kenai Peninsula Food Bank. A parent must remain in the store during the 30 minute workshop.
Consulting seminar planned
Morgan Stanley will hold a free Consulting Services seminar at 6 p.m. Feb. 8 in the conference room at the Aspen Hotel in Soldotna. Deadline for preregistration is Wednesday.
Morgan Stanley offers investment consulting services through a variety of investment consulting programs to investors with investable assets greater than $250,000. For more information, call Patrick Davids at (907) 564-7111 or (800) 252-3326.
Financing seminar slated
A free financing seminar will be held from noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Challenger Learning Center of Alaska in Kenai.
The topics will include how to finance your home with no money down, no closing costs, local lenders and their guidelines on 100 percent financing, construction loans, rehab loans, as well as other loan programs.
There will be no realtors in attendance. For more information or to preregister, call Nadia Saxman at 776-7664.
Healing classes offered
Central Peninsula Hospital will host the following healing classes at the hospital:
· Level 1 Healing Touch class from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Feb. 20 through 21. The cost is $300. This class offers 16.8 continuing education contact hours for nurses and massage therapists.
· Anatomy and physiology class from 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 22 through 25. The cost is $450.
For more information or to register for either class, call Susan Shoemaker at 714-4776.
JA seeks volunteers
Junior Achievement of the Peninsula is seeking volunteer instructors for its upcoming classes in March. Volunteers will go into area classes and teach business, economics and free enterprise. For more information, call Febra Hensley at 398-7173.
The Business page appears each Thursday in the Peninsula Clarion. Submissions may be e-mailed to news @peninsulaclarion.com or faxed to 283-3299.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.