Tax questions? Here's how to reach tax agency experts

Posted: Monday, February 05, 2001

How to get IRS information and help via the Internet, the telephone and the fax:

Internet. The Internal Revenue Service Web site at has tax forms, publications, instructions, answers to frequently asked questions, tax regulations and news releases. There's even a list of IRS job openings.

Telephone. For tax questions and other general information, call the main number at 1 (800) 829-1040. To order forms, instructions and publications, call 1 (800) 829-3676. For pre-recorded answers to 150 common tax topics and to check the status of a refund, call TeleTax at 1 (800) 829-4477.

Taxpayer advocate. For help with tax problems that couldn't be resolved through previous contact with the IRS, call the Taxpayer Advocate's office at 1 (877) 777-4778 to find a local representative.

Appeals. For help in preparing an appeal to an IRS collection or examination matter, call 1 (877) 457-5055.

Credit cards. There is now a choice of two companies to handle payment of taxes by American Express, MasterCard or Discover credit cards. Both charge a convenience fee. Official Payments Corp. is at 1 (800) 2PAY-TAX (272-9829). PhoneCharge Inc. is at 1 (888) ALLTAXX (244-8299). Visa is not participating in the program.

Fax. Over 100 of the most common tax forms are available via fax 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling (703) 368-9694 from the telephone on a fax machine.

CD-ROM. Contains popular forms, instructions and other IRS information for $21. There is no handling fee if the order is placed via the Internet at For a $5 handling fee, the CD-ROM can be purchased by calling 1 (877) CDFORMS (233-6767).

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us