TELLER (AP) -- Workers continued Monday to clean up an oil spill at the Teller School caused when an employee forgot to shut off a transfer pump.
An estimated 3,300 gallons of heating oil was spilled Friday, according to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
The accident occurred as heating oil was being transferred from bulk storage to the school's day tank. The operator forgot to shut off the transfer pump and heating oil spilled from the day tank vent.
Three workers from Teller and a worker from Unalakleet were shoveling contaminated snow and placing it in trash cans and garbage bags. Workers also melted snow to recover the spilled fuel.
DEC was providing additional spill response equipment.
An unknown amount of fuel ran into a culvert and under a fuel transfer house. Removal of contamination in that area can't take place until late spring or early summer when the generators that provide heat to the house can be shut down, DEC said.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us