Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Cigarette suspected in fataly fire

Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2001

FAIRBANKS (AP) -- A fire that killed an Eagle Village woman Saturday could have been caused by a cigarette, according to the State Fire Marshal's office.

''The house was totally destroyed, so if I had to do the most probable cause, it was probably caused by a smoking fire,'' said Tom DePeter Jr., deputy state fire marshal.

DePeter said the fire that killed 41-year-old Debbie Stevens probably burned for about four hours. The house was found engulfed at 11:30 p.m.

Stevens was found close to the door, indicating that she was trying to get out of the house, ''or we assume she knew about the fire,'' DePeter said.

Stevens, an Eagle Village resident for 20 years, had lived in the three-bedroom house built through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development since its construction three years ago.

Eagle Village is several miles east of Eagle. Both are on the Yukon river.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS