The following historical quotes and news excerpts are recorded with Kenny G's millenium mix rendition of "Auld Lang Syne." Juniors studying U.S. history at Soldotna High School spent several days identifying the speaker, date and historical significance of each quote.
Test your knowledge to see if you can identify the people quoted below. Answers are listed on page B-4.
1) "My first words I spoke in the original phonograph, 'Mary had a little lamb. Its fleece was white as snow. And everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go.'"
2) "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
3) "Urging the people to evacuate the city at Martians approach."
4) "This country is at war with Germany."
5) "December 7, 1941, the Japanese have attacked Pearl Harbor, a date which will live in infamy."
6) "Old soldiers never die. They just fade away."
7) "Are you a member of the Communist Party?"
8) "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
9) "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
10) "And today I ordered to Vietnam the AIr Mobile Division. Additional forces will be needed later and they will be sent."
11) "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
12) "There'll be a killer and a thriller and a chiller when I get the gorilla in Manila."
13) "I have concluded an agreement to end the War and bring peace with honor in Vietnam."
14) "Well, I'm not a crook."
15) "We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, as they prepared for their journey and waved 'goodbye,' and slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God."
16) "Mr. Gorbachov, tear down this wall."
17) "Read my lips."
18) "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
19) "The young killers of Columbine High School do not stand for the spirit of America. We can rise up and we can say, 'No more.'"
20) "Let the word go forth from this time and place, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans."
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us