· Triumvirate Theatre’s second annual dinner theater and art auction, “The Maltese Salmon,” will be Friday and Saturday at The Crossing in Soldotna. Following a prime rib dinner will be an art auction, featuring work by local artists, as well as donated works and packages from other supporters. Tickets are $45, available only at The Crossing, 262-1906.
· Local aspiring filmmakers will show their work in a short-film festival at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center. All films are 10 minutes long and not rated.
Events and Exhibits
· The Kenai River Folk Dancers will host a smoke- and alcohol-free community contra dance from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Kalifornsky Beach Elementary School. Live music will be provided by the Contra BanD. Beginners should come early, since the easiest dances start at 7 p.m. Participants should bring clean, nonmarking shoes and potluck snacks to share. Partners are not required. Admission is $5. Children under 16 can get in for free if accompanied by an adult. For more information, call Theresa Holland at 260-4171.
· The Sterling Senior Center will have a free showing of “The Last of the Mohicans” at 7 p.m. Friday.
· The leadership class at Kenai Central High School is holding a winter dance for Kenai Peninsula senior citizens from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free and there will be dancing, refreshments and entertainment. For more information, call Christopher Hall at 776-5452.
· The fourth annual Peninsula Reading Carnival will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at Soldotna High School.
· The central peninsula 2007 Senior Olympics will be held Tuesday through Feb. 24 at venues in Kenai and Soldotna. Events include pool, water walking, cribbage, bridge, darts, walking, shuffleboard, Hand and Foot, basketball, bowling, Tripoly, pinochle, Mexican dominoes, poker and ping pong. An awards event and no-host dinner will be held at 1:30 p.m. at Ginger’s Restaurant at the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. For a complete schedule or more information or to sign up to compete, contact the area senior citizens centers.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has “Desperation Exhibit” on display in February.
· “Disappearing Act,” a fiber arts show with work by Kenai Peninsula College surface design students, is on display at the Kenai Fine Arts Center at 816 Cook Ave. in Old Town through February.
· The Gary L. Freeburg Gallery at the Kenai River Campus of Kenai Peninsula College has “20 Years Later,” a mixed-media exhibit by Theresa Napolitano and Zirrus VanDevere, on display through February with an opening reception from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays or by appointment. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information or to set an appointment, call Dave at 262-5125.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has “Creating Alaska: The 50th Anniversary of Alaska’s Constitution,” an educational exhibit created by the University of Alaska Fairbanks in celebration of Alaska’s 50 years of statehood, on display. The center also displays animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 283-1991.
· Veronica’s in Old Town Kenai has an open mic night at 6:30 p.m. today, music by the Bob Ramponi Jazz Trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday and folk, blues, Hawaiian and classic acoustic songs by Mike Morgan and Friends at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· The Vagabond Inn in Kenai has a Texas Hold ’Em tournament at 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays.
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 9” DJ oldies and country rock dance music Thursday nights, and “After 10” with Top 40 dance music Friday and Saturday nights.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and pool league on Tuesdays.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has Texas Hold ’Em poker at 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
· Moosequito’s in Sterling has open mic night with Pete Jackson at 9 p.m. today, music with Lu Lu Small on Friday, a martini-tasting party Saturday and a Texas Hold ‘Em poker tournament at 8 p.m. Wednesdays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays and live music by the Free Beer Band on Sunday nights.
· The Hunger Hut in Nikiski has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Saturdays.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has music by the Free Beer Band on Tuesdays, karaoke Wednesdays, 150 Grit on Thursdays, and music by Tuff-e-Nuff this Friday and Saturday.
· The King’s Inn in Kenai has karaoke Monday nights.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has music by Stephanie Bouchard from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday.
· George’s Casino in Kenai has a poker challenge at 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays.
· The 406 Bar at the Kenai Spur Lodge in Kenai has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Fridays, pool league on Tuesdays and darts Wednesdays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· The American Legion Post No. 20 in Kenai hosts the 14th annual Kenai Peninsula Cribbage Tournament at 3 p.m. Saturdays through March. It is open to the public.
· Soldotna Community Schools’ annual Showin’ Off the Kids lip sync and choreography contest will be held Feb. 24 at Soldotna High School. The contest is for children in grades kindergarten through eighth.
· The Sterling Senior Center will host a Western musical production, “It’s Chili in Old Texas or She Loved Franks and Beans” at 6 p.m. Feb. 24 and 2:30 p.m. Feb. 25 at the center. Chili and a no-host bar will be offered Feb. 24. Proceeds will benefit senior activities. For more information or to purchase tickets, call 262-6808.
· The Kenai Performers will stage Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” on Feb. 23, 24, 25 and March 2, 3 and 4 in the Renee C. Henderson Auditorium at Kenai Central High School. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $12 for students and seniors and available in Kenai at Charlotte’s and Halcyon Spalon, in Soldotna at River City Books and Sweeney’s, on Kalifornsky Beach Road at Whitey’s Music Shoppe and in Nikiski at M&M Market. Showtimes are 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays. Call 283-0860 for information on family rates.
· The second annual Triumvirate Theatre Children’s Short Play Contest will be held Feb. 24 at the theater in the Peninsula Center Mall. Groups will perform for an audience and judges, with awards given for best play, as well as individual awards for actors. Plays are 20 minutes or less in length.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
Down the Road
· The Pratt Museum is open from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays.
· The Miners and Trappers Charity Ball will be from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday at the Egan Center, with live music, Cajun food and beard and costume contests. Tickets are $45, available at Dooley’s on East 15th, Party World on Arctic and Ticket Masters outlets. Proceeds go to charity. You must be 21 to attend. For more information, call (907) 349-2255.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “Of Time and Place: Contemporary Expressions in Fishkin” Fran Reed solo exhibition, through Feb. 25; “Earth, Fire and Fibre XXVI,” through March 4; “Sharing Knowledge: Alaska Native People and the Smithsonian Collections” through March 26; and the children’s exhibit, “Zoom! Planes, Trains and Automobiles,” through May. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.
What’s Happening submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 283-3299 or dropped off at the Clarion office at 150 Trading Bay in Kenai. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Mondays.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.