Scenic Byway workshops in Cooper Landing and Anchor Point elicited ideas for improvements along those stretches of the Sterling Highway. Following are some of those ideas:
· Provide safer crossing routes in areas were hiking trail parking is located across the highway from the trailhead.
· Implement better signage along the highway to identify hiking trails and their parking areas.
· Identify areas of historical, ecological or biological significance with interpretive signs.
· Construct a boardwalk or viewing platforms in the Tern Lake area, similar to existing facilities at Potter Marsh in Anchorage.
· Construct a “gateway” facility at the entrance of Copper Landing that would have restrooms, maps and information about the area.
· Construct an underpass crossings for equine enthusiast to cross the highway safely.
· Erect a monument or historic marker with interpretive information about Captain Cook.
· Create signage to identify the area as “the most westerly highway in the United States.”
· Develop a master plan for the area between the highway and the beach and to create trailheads, trails and modify some existing land parcels for camping use.
· Improve the existing visitor center and expand the facility’s parking area.
· Develop separate biking and pedestrian paths that run parallel to the highway.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us