UNALASKA (AP) -- An ammonia leak at Westward Seafoods in Unalaska Tuesday afternoon sent more than a dozen workers to the local clinic.
Clinic administrator Sonia Handforth-Kome said 12 people were treated and released, and a few more were still receiving treatment.
Police briefly closed off the road leading to the plant in the Aleutian Islands community. Lt. John Lucking of the Unalaska Department of Public Safety said none of the ammonia inhalation victims had lost consciousness.
Westward was processing Bering Sea pollock and cod at the time of the ammonia leak.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.