· First Thursday events today include an opening reception for the “Kenai Fiber Arts Exhibition 2007” from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center; open mic music at Veronica’s in Kenai from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.; a bluegrass jam at Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna at 6:30 p.m.; and an Artists Without Borders display in the 4D Professional Building conference room in Soldotna from 6 to 8 p.m.
· The Kenai Performers will stage Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Renee C. Henderson Auditorium at Kenai Central High School. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $12 for students and seniors and available in Kenai at Charlotte’s and Halcyon Spalon, in Soldotna at River City Books and Sweeney’s, on Kalifornsky Beach Road at Whitey’s Music Shoppe and in Nikiski at M&M Market. Showtimes are 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. Call 283-0860 for information on family rates.
Events and Exhibits
· Kenai Peninsula College’s beginning photography digital and film classes from fall semester 2006 present an exhibit of student works through March 30 at Coffee Roasters. There will be a reception from 5 to 6 p.m. today for the show’s opening. Coffee Roasters is in Red Diamond Center, Suite 22, on Kalifornsky Beach Road.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has Josh Anchende and Daryll Moonin as its artists of the month.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays or by appointment. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information or to set an appointment, call Dave at 262-5125.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has the “Kenai Fiber Art Exhibition 2007” on display through March. The center also displays animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 283-1991.
· Veronica’s in Old Town Kenai has an open mic night at 6:30 p.m. today, music by the Bob Ramponi Jazz Trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday and Katie Evans and Vickie Tinker at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· The Vagabond Inn in Kenai has a Texas Hold ’Em tournament at 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays.
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 9” DJ oldies and country rock dance music Thursday nights, and “After 10” with Top 40 dance music Friday and Saturday nights.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Mondays and pool league on Tuesdays.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has Texas Hold ’Em poker at 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
· Moosequito’s in Sterling has a open mic night with Pete Jackson today, a “Don’t worry, be happy” party Friday night, live entertainment with Paul Davis on Saturday night and a Texas Hold ’Em poker tournament Wednesdays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays and live music by the Free Beer Band on Sunday nights.
· The King’s Inn in Kenai has karaoke Monday nights.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has music by Rob Justice from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday.
· The Hunger Hut in Nikiski has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Saturdays.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has music by the Free Beer Band on Tuesdays, karaoke Wednesdays, 150 Grit on Thursdays, and music by 9 Spine this weekend.
· George’s Casino in Kenai has a poker challenge at 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays.
· The 406 Bar at the Kenai Spur Lodge in Kenai has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, pool league on Tuesdays and darts Wednesdays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· The Crossing in Soldotna has folk, blues, Hawaiian and classic acoustic music by Mike Morgan at 6:30 p.m. Friday and the Bob Ramponi Trio at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· The American Legion Post No. 20 in Kenai hosts the 14th annual Kenai Peninsula Cribbage Tournament at 3 p.m. Saturdays through March. It is open to the public.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
· The Performing Arts Society and the Kenai Peninsula College Showcase Series present a concert with Barney McClure, acclaimed jazz pianist and recording artist, Mike Denny on the guitar and Diamond Fuller on drums at 7:30 p.m. March 9 in the Walter E. Ward Building at Kenai Peninsula College. Admission is $12 for students and $15 general admission. Tickets are available at Sweeney’s, Northcountry Fair and River City Books in Soldotna and Charlotte’s and Already Read Books in Kenai.
· Central Peninsula Writers’ Night will be at 5 p.m. March 10 at the Triumvirate Theatre in the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna.
· A fundraiser for hosting exchange students will be held at 6 p.m. March 11 at Our Lady of Angels Catholic Church in Kenai. Dinner will feature food from all over the world. Tickets are available at the Kenai Community Library and River City Books. For more information, call Danette Howland at 283-5226.
Down the Road
· Homer High School will stage the musical “Guys and Dolls” on March 9, two shows March 10 and a possible March 11 matinee if the other performances sell out.
· The Pratt Museum is open from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “Of Time and Place: Contemporary Expressions in Fishkin” Fran Reed solo exhibition, through Sunday; “Earth, Fire and Fibre XXVI,” through Sunday; “Sharing Knowledge: Alaska Native People and the Smithsonian Collections” through March 26; and the children’s exhibit, “Zoom! Planes, Trains and Automobiles,” through May. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.
What’s Happening submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 283-3299 or dropped off at the Clarion office at 150 Trading Bay in Kenai. The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Mondays.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us