Chinooks bit hard by Dogs

Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2000

The Peninsula Chinooks had an inauspicious start to their best-of-five playoff series against the Fairbanks Ice Dogs Friday at the Big Dipper Arena in Fairbanks.

The Chinooks scored the first goal of the game, a power-play tally by Jamie Prior with assists by Joe Shaughnessy and Jeb Thompson at 1:41 of the first period, but the Ice Dogs responded with nine unanswered goals on their way to an 11-3 win in a Western States Hockey League Junior B game.

The Chinooks slid deeper into the hole after a brawl in the second period led to the ejection of three players -- top goaltender Daren Tracey and forwards Rob Batchelor and Steve Shaughnessy.

All three players were suspended for Saturday's game, and with forward Dustin Curley and defensemen Dan Fagan and Bryon Coleman scratched with injuries, the Chinooks were playing with a short bench in Game 2.

The Ice Dogs got the jump on the Chinooks in the second game of the series Saturday, leading 3-1 after the first period en route to a 9-1 win.

Kelsey Knudson scored the lone goal of the game for the Chinooks with just over a minute left in the first period.

Kenny Bishop got the start in net for the suspended Tracey and stopped 24 of the 27 shots he faced in the first period but did not return after the first intermission due to a pulled groin muscle. Nick Wirz went the rest of the way between the pipes, making 12 saves on 18 shots.

The Chinooks managed 15 shots on goal.

Prior broke up the Ice Dogs' scoring streak in Friday's game with his second power-play goal of the night, assisted by Bjorn Swan and Aaron Swanson, at 12:26 of the third period.

Tim Flanders netted the final Peninsula goal of the night, an even-strength score assisted by Thompson and Aaron Gilman at 12:26 of the third period.

Ralph Wease and Petteri Pitko each scored twice for the Ice Dogs. Carl Saltz, John Engles, Nick Bennett, Derek Ward, Ric Staley, Brandon Jusczak and Mike Slater also tallied for Fairbanks.

Tracey made 16 saves on 21 shots before being booted from the game. Bishop replaced Tracey between the pipes, stopping six of the 12 shots he faced.



Peninsula 1 0 2 --3

Fairbanks 4 2 5 --11

First period -- 1. Peninsula, Prior (J. Shaughnessy, Thompson), 1:41 PPG; 2. Fairbanks, Ward (Bennett, Pitko), 5:17 PPG; 3. Fairbanks, Staley (Eggleston, Goral), 11:32; 4. Fairbanks, Saltz (unassisted), 14:19; 5. Fairbanks, Slater (Ward, Jusczak), 15:44. Penalties -- Peninsula 8 for 19:00, Fairbanks 4 for 11:00.

Second period -- 6. Fairbanks, Wease (unassisted), 9:39; 7. Fairbanks, Wease (Pitko, Bennett), 11:19 PPG. Penalties -- Peninsula 11 for 58:00, Fairbanks 12 for 60:00.

Third period -- 8. Fairbanks, Bennett (Rocheleau, Wease), :43; 9. Fairbanks, Juszcak (Ward, Slater), 3:33 PPG; 10. Fairbanks, Pitko (Lennox, Horn), 6:08 SHG; 11. Peninsula, Prior (Swan, A. Swanson), 6:38 PPG; 12. Fairbanks, Pitko (Palmer, Rocheleau), 8:32; 13. Peninsula, Flanders (Thompson, Gilman), 12:26; 14. Fairbanks, Engles (Slater, Burby), 19:10. Penalties -- Peninsula 1 for 2:00, Fairbanks 3 for 6:00.

Shots on goal -- Peninsula 2-3-9--14, Fairbanks 14-9-10--33.

Goalies -- Peninsula, Tracey (31:00, 21 shots, 16 saves), Bishop (29:00, 12 shots, 6 saves); Fairbanks, Bartusch (31:00, 4 shots, 3 saves), Palmer (29:00, 10 shots, 8 saves).

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us