Troopers arrest Nikiski man after altercation turns fatal

One dead, 3 hurt in Nikiski shooting

Posted: Monday, March 13, 2000

A shooting killed one man, sent one to jail and left two injured in Nikiski Sunday afternoon.

Zebulon Eugene Nudson, 22, was charged Sunday night with one count of second-degree murder, three counts of first-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault.

Alaska State Troopers did not release the name of the deceased because next of kin had not been notified as of Sunday evening.

According to Nikiski Fire Department Battalion Chief Doug Nightingale, a car pulled into the parking lot of Nikiski Fire Station No. 2 about 1:40 p.m. Two men rushed into the building and said they had a seriously injured gunshot victim in their vehicle.

"They were all covered in blood," said Nightingale, one of three emergency responders on duty at the station at the time.

Four of the five people in the vehicle were injured by gunshots or flying glass fragments. The fifth man was uninjured. The medics notified troopers at 1:47 p.m.

The victims reported that a man shot at them from a residence on Bastien Drive near Mile 25.5 of the Kenai Spur Highway. Troopers identified the weapon as a semi-automatic rifle.

The Nikiski ambulance transported three of the men to Central Peninsula General Hospital in Soldotna, where one victim, a 19-year-old man, died at about 4:15 p.m. from a head wound.

Two other men were hospitalized with bullet wounds. Robbie Huntley Meireis, 21, had a leg injury and was reported to be in stable condition. Gary Waddington, 15, was shot in the arm. He was treated and released.

Rick Sanchez, 32, was treated at the fire station for minor injuries. Harry "Freddy" Trenton, 34, was uninjured. All of those involved in the incident are from Nikiski.

About 2 p.m., troopers went to the house on Bastien. Nudson surrendered to troopers without incident, said Greg Wilkinson, information officer for the troopers.

"Our initial investigation indicates these men may have been involved in an altercation last night," Wilkinson said late Sunday afternoon.

Wilkinson said the men in the vehicle returned to shooter's home Sunday and confronted Nudson. Nudson told them to leave and, when they did not leave fast enough, he opened fire, Wilkinson said.

The rear window of the car was shot out.

"At this time, we do not have a count of how many shots were fired," Wilkinson said.

Nightingale said the incident was highly unusual, but that the driver of the vehicle had done the right thing by leaving the shooting scene and coming to the station. They were able to remove themselves from harm's way and reach the station quicker than an ambulance could have reached them, he said.

Nudson will be arraigned today in Kenai.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us