NOME (AP) -- A second dog that competed in this year's Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race has died, race officials said Friday.
Veteran Iditarod musher DeeDee Jonrowe's 3-year-old dog Mark died during surgery to repair a stomach ulcer.
The dog became ill earlier this week when he slowed between the Elim and White Mountain checkpoints. Jonrowe carried the dog in her sled bag to White Mountain, where veterinarians went over the dog.
The dog was given intravenous fluids and vomited blood during the procedure -- an indication that the dog had a bleeding stomach ulcer. She said the problems with the dog developed very quickly.
Stomach ulcers in sled dogs can be caused by a variety of problems, including stress, bacteria and diet. Iditarod officials said a study is being conducted to investigate possible ways to prevent stomach ulcers in dogs.
After vets stabilized the dog, he was taken by stretcher to a plane and flown to Nome where Jonrowe's personal veterinarian took charge. However, the dog died 24 hours after treatment began.
Jonrowe was in fourth place Tuesday before the dog became ill. The Willow musher finished Wednesday after dropping to 16th place.
The death was the second one in this year's race.
Earlier, a dog in Ohio musher Jim Oehlschlaeger's team died after suffering a spinal injury when it became entangled in the gangline.
The dog died Sunday night as Oehlschlaeger and his team were approaching Ruby about 500 miles from Nome. Oehlschlaeger was allowed to continue the race. He was in 45th place Frdiay. Seventeen teams were still on the trail heading to Nome.
Two dogs died in last year's Iditarod, one from fluid in the lungs and the other from an uncommon bacterial infection, according to vets. One dog died in each race for the years 1998-2000. Five died in 1997.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us