Hartvigson named to honor society
Soldotna High School student Marit E. Hartvigson was selected to become a member of the National Society of High School Scholars.
She was selected based on her superior academic excellence.
Membership in the NSHSS qualifies students for scholarship opportunities, academic competitions, events, members-only resources, publications, participation in programs offered by educational partners, online forums, personalized recognition items and publicity honors.
Toering joins Army
Former Soldotna resident Army Pfc. Brett J. Toering graduated from basic infantry training at Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga.
During the nine weeks of training he received training in drill and ceremonies, weapons, map reading, tactics, military courtesy, military justice, physical fitness, first aid, and Army history, core values and traditions.
He is the son of James and Lindy Toering of Soldotna.
Area students named to honor rolls
The following students were named to the honor rolls at their respective colleges:
· Drake University, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences -- Nathan Smith was named to the dean’s list. Smith is in his fourth year in the school’s six-year pharm D program. He is a 2003 graduate of Nikiski High School.
· University of Nebraska Lincoln College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources -- AriAnna Corinne Goldstein. Goldstein is a sophmore studying biochemistry.
· Washington State University -- Gavin W. Browne of Homer, Alexander Jordan Turnbull of Kenai and Terra Ann Kendrick of Soldotna.
· Gonzaga University -- Senior David Ryan Hinshaw of Soldotna and sophmore Casilyn Marie Dreifuerst of Cooper Landing were named to the president’s list.
Galics to host exchange student
Kenai resident William Galic and his family will host Kilian Benedikt Meinung of Germany. Kilian will attend Skyview High School.
Table tennis results
The following are the results in the Soldotna Elks Lodge doubles table tennis tournaments:
· March 1 -- Steve Anderson and Todd Eskelin placed first; Darin Jones and Chad Botirius placed second; and Joe Szczesny and Brannon Ames placed third.
· March 8 -- Matt Faris and Joe Szczesny placed first; Gary Brumley and Bob Sizemore placed second; and Steve Anderson and Chad Botirius placed third.
· March 15 -- Bob Sizemore and Gary Brumley placed first; Darin Jones and Wayne Brooks placed second; and Joe Szczesny and Chuck Winters placed third.
The Soldotna Elks hold table tennis tournaments every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. For more information, call Bob at 262-5130.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us