It continues to be such a great pleasure to help the community organize a program to show our support for the men and women serving in our Armed Forces. This past month has been especially gratifying, as we have collected and are sending coffee along with letters, cards and periodicals to the troops.
I would like to thank everyone for the efforts and prayers, but a number of groups have gone above and beyond what one can expect:
· The George H. Plumey American Legion Post No. 20 in Kenai has become a partner in the Red, White & Blue Program this week. They have collected many items needed by our soldiers and Marines and will be sending packages, including coffee to the 51 members listed in the program.
· The Soldotna Rotary Club and individual Rotarians have provided monetary and physical support along with the Peninsula Clarion in making sure that the community knows about the R/W/B Program and shipping items overseas.
· The Soldotna Catholic Church provided 50 bags of “Fair Trade” coffee, one for each individual on our list.
· The Jerry V. Horn VFW Post No. 10046- Women’s Auxiliary provided a $300 donation to the program.
· A member of the Soldotna Elks Lodge No. 2706 is taking some coffee back to Walter Reed Hospital to support veterans.
· The student council and staff at Soldotna Middle School continue to help with the R/W/B Program by advocacy and materials.
Many individuals brought in coffee or donations to help with mailings during this past month. We collected just under 100 bags (so far) and more than $250. How wonderful.
The entire program has been funded without any city tax money.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.