Ask the Mayor

Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002

What is recycled at solid waste sites?

Editor's Note: The following weekly column is designed to help answer residents' questions about the Kenai Peninsula Borough and its government.

Question: What is recycled at borough solid waste sites?

Answer: The Kenai Peninsula Borough has had an active recycling program since 1989. Currently, recycle collection areas are provided at the Central Peninsula Baling Facility, Seward Transfer Facility and the Homer Baling Facility. Compartmen-talized recycling containers (30 cubic yards) are provided at borough solid waste transfer sites at 13 locations.

Materials collected include newspaper, office paper, cardboard, glass and aluminum. Additionally, clear plastic milk jugs, gillnet fish web, tin cans, appliances, junk vehicles, phone books, used oil, vehicle batteries and Christmas trees are recycled at various times and locations.

Although recycling options are available, many people are hesitant to recycle, since they believe the materials are landfilled -- not recycled. This is an understandable misunderstanding, since the recyclables are handled similar to waste with sorting and compaction occurring in the solid waste baling facilities. Once compacted the materials are transported to markets where a "receipt" (showing proof the material made it to market) is provided.

Other local recycling options include, but are not limited to, Peninsula Sanitation's aluminum can buy-back program, grocery store plastic bag recycling, disposable camera recycling, toner cartridge recycling and other miscellaneous recycling.

For more information on the borough's recycling program, visit the Web site: and click on the solid waste page or contact the Solid Waste Department at 262-9667.

You may send your questions to:

Mayor Bagley

144 N. Binkley

Soldotna, AK 99669

Fax: (907) 262-8616

E-mail: bdove@borough.kenai.ak

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us