As a friend of the family, it was rough to see Cody Honrud and his family go though the fight of their lives.
As a community member, the outpouring of support was amazing. Cody's Web site has over 45,000 hits in less than three weeks. The hundreds of postings from well-wishers were read daily with great anticipation, making all these strangers connected. So many ups and downs and so many people looking for calm in this storm.
One evening while reading the daily postings, I read the following message from Martha. I didn't know Martha at the time, but I felt compelled to share her meaningful message for me.
From Martha on March 12:
Just thought I'd tell you what Cody has been "doing" here in Soldotna and around the world (and you thought he was just laying around in his ICU bed there in Seattle):
1. He has brought this local community together in an incredible way. It's amazing to see the open and generous hearts at work. There's an undertow of movement going on here that I'm not sure I've seen before and it has been uplifting and encouraging for everyone who is witnessing or being a part of the support going on.
2. He has turned acquaintances and strangers into new friends and many have been reuniting, as well. The circle is widening and I've so much enjoyed meeting new people who are not just "people," but folks who really know what life is all about and are "in" for the good cause. It's been an honor to be amongst all these shining stars.
3. He has humbled a huge number of people (here and literally around this whole earthly globe) and brought us to our knees in prayer a place the most of us need to be a lot more often! Hearts have been "tenderized." A great number of these folks have never met Cody before, but just the same they have responded to the urgency of prayer.
4. He has put life back into proper perspective for a good number of us. Priorities have changed. How much more do we appreciate what is really important and what we have been given?
5. Cody, you've also shown us what it is to be down but come back swinging. Man, you've been so tough! You and your family are a wonder to watch as you have undergone incredible setbacks but have kept pushing forward. It has all been so hard! Yet there you are and your family all with your heads high and good humor at that. (I'm taking notes!)
Thank you, Cody! See all you've done? And I'm sure this list is just a start.
We love you and are really missing you.
I met Martha Hughes at a meeting for Cody's fundraiser. I let her know I printed off her posting and I asked her permission to submit this great perspective. What a great compassionate community we live in. Thank you, Martha. Thank you, Cody.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us