Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Fire scorches Soldotna garage

Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Soldotna garage suffered an estimated $60,000 worth of damage Wednesday after an engine that was being stored in the structure came crashing to the ground, causing the gas tank to rupture and catch fire.

Greg Nichol was working in the garage of the home owned by Ken Meachham, located at 183 West Redoubt Ave. when the incident occurred. Nichol was installing wheels on a storage rack, which housed numerous vintage engines, according to the Central Emergency Services report.

The rack tipped over, causing the engines to fall to the concrete floor of the garage. One of the engines struck the floor, creating sparks, which caused flammable engine vapors to ignite.

Nichol attempted to extinguish the flames while calling 911, according to the report.

Dispatch received the call around 12:12 p.m. and CES responded within two minutes of the alarm.

CES Fire Marshal Gary Hale was first to arrive, reporting nothing showing from the exterior of the 1,000 square foot detached garage.

Upon entering the garage, firefighters were met with heavy, black smoke and overhead flames. They located the fire in the rear of the structure.

The fire was deemed "under control" within seven minutes of the first-arriving engine and declared "out" with an additional five minutes.

Firefighters contained the flames to the rear of the garage. The rear of the structure's walls and ceiling sustained fire damage as did the contents of the garage, including the vintage engines as well as other personal belongings.

Two engines, one medic unit, one ladder truck and three command vehicles along with 17 personnel responded to the incident.

Paramedics on scene contacted Nichol, but he declined treatment and transport. No other injuries were reported.

Soldotna lean-to suffers damage in fire

A lean-to located at Town of the Living Trees in Soldotna ignited after wind carried the embers from a nearby debris fire, causing an estimated $10,000 worth of damage Wednesday.

Employees were working inside of a shed when a passerby notified them of the flames, according to the Central Emergency Services report.

The employees used portable fire extinguishers and shoveled snow onto the lean-to in order to fight the flames until CES arrived.

CES personnel responded to the incident at 41672 Sterling Highway around 1:55 p.m.

The first arriving units reported smoke and fire coming from under the structure. Firefighters extinguished the flames using water and class A foam.

The underside and back wall of the lean-to sustained most of the damage. No injuries were reported.

According to the report, the owner was out of town. CES did not identify the owner.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS