The Kenai Commercial Company near the bluff in Kenai was the only store in the Kenai-Soldotna area in the early 1950s.
A Mr. Stephan was the first owner. The store suffered a major fire Christmas Eve, 1946. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, it was owned and operated by Cecile and Helen Jones. They sold groceries, hardware, clothing, medicine and "notions" (small useful items such as sewing supplies).
Here, Soldotna homesteader Rusty Lancashire is picking up the mail for delivery to the Soldotna post office, a task she did once a week. This text was written by Marge Mullen and Alan Boraas. The photograph is part of the photograph archives of the Anthropology Lab at Kenai Peninsula College.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us