Fire on Big Eddy

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Central Emergency Services is investigating the cause of a chimney fire that burned part of a Big Eddy Road home Tuesday morning.

SUBMITTED PHOTO
SUBMITTED PHOTO
Central Emergency Services responded to a chimney fire at 2 a.m. Tuesday morning at 44190 Big Eddy Road. The cause is still under investigation.

Firefighters reached the home at approximately 2 a.m., within five minutes of being dispatched, according to Brad Nelson, CES's deputy fire marshal.

"There was heavy smoke from the chimney area and coming out of the attic holes," Nelson said.

No one was injured in the fire. Nelson estimated it caused $30,000 worth of damage to the single-story home.

Nelson said the home's owner, Mike Alvey, told firefighters that the blaze originated in the fireplace.

"He said he had a fire burning in the fireplace and that his neighbor told him that the chimney caught on fire," he said.

Alvey, 34, said he was getting ready to wind down for the night when the fire got out of control.

"I was trying to burn a little bit of wood that I didn't want to haul to the dump," Alvey said. "I was just getting ready to go to bed. I put a movie in and was going to watch it for a little bit while the fire burned down."

But the flames sparked instead of died. Alvey saw the chimney turn "red hot."

"It was hotter than I had ever seen it," he said.

So he called CES and they put the fire out in two hours.

"The fire department did a great job," Alvey said. "They probably don't get a pat on the back enough."

Andrew Waite can be reached at andrew.waite@peninsulaclarion.com.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS