Francona doing better

Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005

BOSTON (AP) — Red Sox manager Terry Francona did not have a heart attack and results of medical tests on him ''are very good,'' Boston's team doctor said Thursday.

Francona was hospitalized in New York on Wednesday morning after feeling tightness in his chest and was transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital later in the day.

The team did not say when Francona might rejoin the Red Sox, who begin a three-game series Friday in Toronto and will receive their World Series rings before Monday's home opener against the New York Yankees.

''The plan is to perform several series of tests on Terry,'' Dr. Thomas Gill said in a statement released by the club. ''The results of the initial series are very good.

''His heart function looks strong, and there is no indication whatsoever of a heart attack. We plan to perform further tests (Friday), and, if the results are consistent with what we have seen so far, we hope to be able to release Terry from the hospital soon.''

The nature of the tests were not disclosed.

''He did not have a heart attack. He had some symptoms that caused some concern on the part of the team doctors,'' team president Larry Lucchino said Thursday. ''The tests may include some type of procedure to determine whether there's any specific diagnosis or reason for the chest pains.''

Francona was taken by ambulance to New York Weill-Cornell Medical Center on Wednesday morning when he complained of chest pains after arriving at Yankee Stadium.

While interviewing for Seattle's managerial position 10 days after undergoing knee surgery in 2002, Francona experienced chest pains.

After returning home, he said, doctors found a blood clot had gone to his lungs. He was given blood thinners and the problem was thought to be under control, but complications developed.

He had staph infections in both knees, which required four more operations, he said, then developed serious hemorrhaging in his leg that required two more operations.

He was sent home after Thanksgiving, but more clotting ensued and he was hospitalized until Christmas Eve. In all, he said, he underwent eight operations for the problem. More than once the situation was life-threatening, he said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us