The top 10 list of endangered rivers, as compiled by American Rivers, a conservation group:
1. Snake River in Washington state. Dams threaten salmon.
2. Missouri River in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri. Dams and channels hurt river.
3. Ventura River in California. Dams hurt river.
4. Copper River in Alaska. Proposed logging road threatens salmon runs, birds, grizzly bears and other wildlife.
5. Alabama, Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers in Georgia and Alabama. Dams and Atlanta sprawl threatens water supply and quality.
6. Coal River in West Virginia. Coal mining threatens waterway.
7. Rio Grande in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and Chihuahua and Coahuila, Mexico. Water diversion and over-consumption, flood control projects, land development and pollution threaten the endangered silvery minnow.
8. Mississippi and White Rivers in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana. Flood control and navigation has eliminated habitat for fish, birds and mussels.
9. North Fork Feather River in California. Hydropower dams harm fish, wildlife and recreation.
10. Clear Creek in Texas. Flood control proposal would destroy Houston bayou.
11. Green River in Colorado and Utah. Dams threaten fish.
12. Presumpscot River in Maine. Dams threaten fish.
13. Clark Fork in Montana. Proposed mine threatens fish and wildlife.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us