Third man charged in Creek Street robbery

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002

JUNEAU (AP) -- A 22-year-old Petersburg man has been jailed on charges that he was one of three men who invaded a Juneau couple's home last year and demanded money.

A grand jury indicted Cameron O'neil on two counts of first-degree felony robbery and two counts of first-degree felony burglary. He also was charged in a second armed robbery.

O'neil, also known as ''K,'' pleaded innocent to the charges stemming from robberies Dec. 16 on Creek Street and Sixth Street.

Rorie Miller, 20, and Joshua Coon, 22, pleaded guilty in March to lesser charges stemming from the Creek Street robbery and are scheduled to be sentenced later this month.

According to court records, police recently arrested O'neil based on statements made by Miller and Coon during questioning in December.

Capt. Tom Porter said police began receiving anonymous tips about a possible third suspect in the crime a few weeks after the incident. Porter said police knew O'neil's ''street'' name but not much more, and eventually a police source gave them O'neil's real name. An arrest warrant was issued March 26. O'neil turned himself in to Petersburg police April 3.

Attorney Phil Pallenberg, O'neil's public defender, was out of town and couldn't be reached for comment.

According to an affidavit from District Attorney Richard Svobodny, three men entered the Creek Street wearing ski masks and brandishing a shotgun and a semi-automatic handgun.

Miller, Coon and, allegedly, O'neil climbed the stairs of the home heading toward one of the bedrooms where the homeowners were sleeping. Porter said that while none of the residents saw O'neil in the home, three people were heard.

Coon and Miller burst in the bedroom demanding money, according to the affidavit.

A house guest in another bedroom heard the commotion and called police. The robbers left with an undisclosed amount of money.

Police, already en route, spotted the men and pursued them. After several minutes, police saw the getaway vehicle stuck in a snow bank.

Miller was still in the vehicle with the weapon and Coon was captured later in the woods, while O'neil was nowhere to be found, according to the affidavit.

O'neil is being held at the Lemon Creek Correctional Center in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us