Photo by M. Scott Moon
· May TBA Calcutta Auction and King Salmon Tournament. Diners on May 6 bid on which boats will bring in the biggest fish during the derby May 7. On May 7, the angler who catches the largest fish shares the prize with the bidder and the Sportsmen’s Association. Call 235-2600 or e-mail email@example.com.
· May King salmon season opens on Anchor River at 12:01 a.m. the Saturday before Memorial Day. King season lasts four consecutive weekends.
· June TBA Kid’s All-American Fishing Derby. Includes a big fish and casting contests with the largest fish going on to state and national competition, plus area-sponsored prizes. Events are free to kids under 16.
· July 4 Independence Day Celebration. Parade, community potluck picnic, raft race, horseshoe tournament, beach golf, a rubber duck race and games for kids, including a coin hunt.
· Oct. The Fall Fun Festival is held the last weekend of the month. Variety of games, contests and raffles.
· Nov. TBA Holiday bazaar with hand-crafted items, specialty products and baked goods.
· June TBA Brain Awareness Walk and barbecue. Call 283-5711 or 262-6333.
· June TBA KDLL Public Radio Art and Music Festival at the Diamond M Ranch. With live music, arts and vendors. Call 283-8433.
· July 4 Independence Day celebration, including community parade, games, arts, crafts, entertainment and food booths. Call 283-7989.
· Sept. 2-4 Kenai Kennel Club dog agility trial, call 335-2552.
· Oct. TBA Annual Wine and Beer Festival.
· Nov. TBA Christmas Comes to Kenai, includes Electric Light Parade, a bonfire, caroling, fireworks, arts and craft show and a visit from Santa.
· May TBA Annual spring cleanup. Call 262-9814 or 283-7989.
· May TBA State Parks’ annual Kenai River cleanup. Call 262-5581.
· May TBA Central Peninsula Air Fair. Begins at Soldotna Municipal Airport and ends at Kenai Municipal Airport. A fly-in and fun (poker) flight between eight airports on the peninsula. Call 283-7951.
· June TBA Run for the River. A 5-kilometer walk or run for ages 12 and older. Call 260-5449.
· June TBA Annual Quilting on the Kenai and Wearable Art fashion show. Call 262-5438.
· June TBA Soldotna Senior Citizens Center Luau. Call 262-2322.
· July TBA Kenai River Classic (by invitation only) fundraiser fishing event. Call (907) 262-8588.
· July 7-9 Kenai Kennel Club dog agility and obedience trials and conformation shows at Skyview High School. Call 335-2552.
· July TBA Soldotna senior center annual endowment barbecue fundraiser. Call 262-2322.
· July TBA Soldotna senior center annual summer bazaar with crafts, food, quilts and an antique show.
· July 22-23 Soldotna Progress Days. Includes a parade, community dinner, dances, rodeo, car shows, races, rally, arts, crafts, games for kids and live entertainment. Call 262-9814.
· July TBA Annual Soldotna Creek Celebration. Free food, music, kids’ activities and Alaska artwork. Call 60-5449.
· Aug. TBA Soldotna senior center Fall Round-up. Dinner and entertainment. Call 262-2322.
· Aug. TBA Sterling Community Days. Music, food and activities. Call 262-5409.
· July TBA Ninilchik Rodeo.
· Aug. TBA Kenai Peninsula State Fair. “Alaska’s Biggest Little Fair.” At the Ninilchik Fairgrounds. Call 567-3670.
· May 1 Annual Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby begins. Call 235-7740.
· May 4-7 Annual Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival with workshops, lectures, guided bird walks, birding cruises, tours, art events and children’s activities. Call 235-7740.
· May 4-7 Annual Kachemak Bay Wooden Boat Festival. Exhibits, rowboat races, demonstrations by builders and kids’ boat building. Call 235-2986.
· May TBA Annual Kachemak Bay Quilters Show at Homer Elks Lodge.
· May 26-30 Annual Kachemak Bay Kayak Festival. Ten days of kayaking and related events, seminars, demonstrations and workshops. Call 235-7740 or visit www.kachemakkayakfest.com.
Soldotna's Progress Days celebration offers fun events for people of all ages.
Photo by M. Scott Moon
· May TBA Pier One Theatre opens. Call 235-7333 or visit www.pieronetheatre.org.
· June 9-13 Kachemak Bay Writers’ Conference with lectures, workshops, panel presentations and readings with nationally recognized writers. Call 235-7743.
· June 10 Homer Animal Friends’ annual Strut Your Mutt Dog Walk. Games and contest with prizes, including agility, best trick and owner-dog look alike contest. Call 235-3779.
· June 24 Homer Yacht Club Regatta at Land’s End Resort. Call 235-8503.
· June 24 Homer 10K Spit Run. Call 235-7767.
· June TBA Satellite Run for Women. The entry fee is a donation to the Breast Cancer Program.
· June TBA Bearfoot Bluegrass Camp and Concert. Call 235-4288.
· July 1 Homer Halibut Tourney, a one-day high-stakes fishing extravaganza from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. $100 entry fee. Call 235-7740.
· July 2-4 Fourth of July parade and community celebration. Call 235-7740.
· July 4 American Legion Auxiliary Carnival with games and food.
· July 15 Homer Street Fair at the high school. Call 235-4288.
· Aug. TBA Seafair Safety Rodeo with rescue demonstrations, competitions and boat show. Call 35-7740.
· Sept. 30 Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby ends at 9 p.m. Call 99-2216.
· Oct. TBA Homer Documentary Film Festival. Call 235-6728 .
· Oct. TBA Homer Elk’s Lodge No. 2127 Winter King Salmon tourney. Call 235-2127.
· Nov. 3-5 ARTrageous Weekend with gallery openings, studio tours, guest artists and auctions.
· Nov. 4 Puttin on the Ritz art event at 7 p.m. at the Pratt Museum. Call 235-8635.
· Dec. 2, 3, 8 and 9 Nutcracker Ballet at Mariner Theatre at Homer High School. Call 235-4288.
· Dec. 2-3 Annual Nutcracker Arts and Crafts Fair at Homer High School Commons. Hand-crafted items and gifts. Photos with Santa. Call 235-4288.
· May 2 Alaska SeaLife Center anniversary.
· May TBA Seward Harbor opening weekend.
· May 31 Memorial Day celebration at American Legion.
· June TBA Summer Solstice Celebration in Moose Pass.
· July 4 Fourth of July bash. Parade, street vendors, food, carnival rides, fireworks display and the 77th Mount Marathon Race, a three-mile mountain run for juniors, women and men. Call 224-8051.
· Aug. TBA Seward Silver Salmon Derby. Call 224-8051.
· Dec. TBA Old-fashioned Christmas with a holiday train.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.