NOME (AP) -- St. Joseph's Catholic Church in this coastal community has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Joseph's is one of the few remaining Gold Rush-era buildings in Nome.
Built in 1901, the late Gothic Revival style structure was one of the dominant buildings in the city at the time.
The lighted cross on top of the church's spire was an important landmark for travelers for many years.
St. Joseph's is the only remaining mission of the Jesuits in Nome. It is associated with Bellarmine Lafortune, S.J., who spent more than four decades working with Seward Peninsula Natives.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us