News of the desire by some to establish an adult book and toy store in Soldotna has come to me.
I am chairman of the Kenai Peninsula Marriage Savers (KPMS) and have grave concerns and strong opposition to such a venture for the following reasons:
1. Any type of pornographic materials (printed, pictorial, video, or even in the form of "toys") serves to diminish the value of members of the opposite sex to those who make use of such materials. This could well lead to either more domestic violence or mistreatment of members of the opposite sex.
2. The presence and availability of such materials is a ready source of suggestion and even prompting to action by those who already are sex offenders in our community.
Why should we provide further temptation to those who already are struggling with the problem?
3. The potential fallout in the lives of children in our community through molestation can only be compounded as the dissemination of such information is increased.
4. The potential of having men and women develop distorted views of sex and sexuality will only be increased, should such materials become more easily available to our population.
5. In an area where the divorce rate is 82 percent, KPMS stands opposed to anything that would serve to weaken marriage further, and pornography is one of the most virulent of the forces that serve to weaken relational stability.
KPMS is committed to seek to strengthen marriages and reduce divorces on the Kenai Peninsula. To that end we are extremely sensitive to anything that would militate against such goals. I believe the presence of such a store in our community will be a detriment to the good of the community and the welfare of our marriages and families.
Charles G. Thornton, Chair, Kenai Peninsula Marriage Savers, Soldotna
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.