Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Fire burns Regal Interiors attic

Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Thanks to a call from a passing motorist, a fire at Regal Interiors on the outskirts of Soldotna early Tuesday morning was contained to the attic area of the business.

Damage to the building was estimated at $80,000, nonetheless.

No injuries were reported.

According to Central Emergency Services Assistant Fire Marshal Gordon Orth, a motorist driving along the Sterling Highway noticed a smoky haze in the area at 12:34 a.m. and called the fire department.

CES responded with two fire engines, one ladder truck, three tankers, one ambulance, a rescue truck and three command vehicles.

Firefighters accessed the attic space through the roof and from the interior of the building and were able to knock down the seat of the fire, Orth said.

He said the smoldering fire had wormed its way through cellulose insulation in the attic and burned portions of six of the building's trusses.

CES had the fire out by 2:09 a.m.

An investigation revealed an electrical short in a fluorescent light fixture mounted to the ceiling caused the fire, Orth said.

Electrical wiring made contact with the metal fixture, causing it to be charged, conducting heat through mounting screws to the metal roofing and into the insulation. Orth estimated the fire to have smoldered for 12 hours.

Damage was contained to the building. The value of the building and its contents was estimated at $800,000.

Regal Interiors was open for business as usual Tuesday.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS